Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are these called?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
What is the proper name for these "box" connectors, single or double? The have an extra-long male spade connector fixed inside the box, and accommodate a female spade from the other end. Any sources for new ones?
bkrantz
And does anyone know what this box connects to? This would be on the right side of the engine, probably below the sheet metal and near the fuel pump. My fuel pump wires are already gone, relocated to head to the front. The rest of the wires in that bundle go to the battery.
Mark Henry
2nd pic is likely the fuel pump with the proper connector cut off and the "box connector" is the taco plate temp sensor wire to console connection.
Mikey914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 9 2020, 02:27 PM) *

And does anyone know what this box connects to? This would be on the right side of the engine, probably below the sheet metal and near the fuel pump. My fuel pump wires are already gone, relocated to head to the front. The rest of the wires in that bundle go to the battery.

The wires shown connect to the battery with one of these
It goes through and tightens down at the battery post and the block is where the wires connect

https://914rubber.com/battery-block-positive-terminal-1
bkrantz
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 9 2020, 06:18 PM) *

2nd pic is likely the fuel pump with the proper connector cut off and the "box connector" is the taco plate temp sensor wire to console connection.

Thanks, Mark. The fuel pump wires are missing because I have already re-routed them for a front pump relocation. Another stupid question: what is the taco plate?
ClayPerrine
Would it be possible to get a close up of the wires so we can see the color?

Jonathan Livesay
First picture looks like the tunnel wires that connect to the center console gauges. Second picture might be the red wires that connect to the battery + side. Hard to get a sense of scale from the picture but these would be large gauge wires.
djway
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsL...fm?ID=111937077
Wolfsburg West sells them.
They come all attached and you cut to the number you want.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 9 2020, 09:22 PM) *

It goes through and tightens down at the battery post and the block is where the wires connect

The wires to the + battery are 10 gauge, those don't look heavy enough, I believe the main part of that harness (down) has the connectors (red wires) to the + battery. But I could be wrong... it's hard to tell the gauge or colour in the pic.

Looking at my '74 teen the heavy wires to the battery route the same side/harness as the fuel pump wires, but I don't feel like yanking at my wires to find out 100%.
iankarr
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 9 2020, 09:58 PM) *

Thanks, Mark. The fuel pump wires are missing because I have already re-routed them for a front pump relocation. Another stupid question: what is the taco plate?

The taco plate protects the oil sump cover, which houses the temp sender. Legend has it that it got the "taco" name because it likes to bend, like a....

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
QUOTE(djway @ Aug 9 2020, 10:07 PM) *

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsL...fm?ID=111937077
Wolfsburg West sells them.
They come all attached and you cut to the number you want.

Thanks, but they are not exactly the same. The stock 914 connector is a box, single or double, that has a double-length male spade that is fixed inside with a locking tab. A normal female spade can then plug in to the other end of the box. The VW style has a permanent double male inside the box, and takes female spades from both ends.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 10 2020, 05:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 9 2020, 09:22 PM) *

The wires to the + battery are 10 gauge, those don't look heavy enough, I believe the main part of that harness (down) has the connectors (red wires) to the + battery. But I could be wrong... it's hard to tell the gauge or colour in the pic.

Looking at my '74 teen the heavy wires to the battery route the same side/harness as the fuel pump wires, but I don't feel like yanking at my wires to find out 100%.

Mark, on mine (and I think the wires are stock, even if one loop connector is not), there are 2 pairs. In each pair I see a 10 gauge and a 12 gauge (or the mm equivalents).
bkrantz
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Aug 10 2020, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 9 2020, 09:58 PM) *

The taco plate protects the oil sump cover, which houses the temp sender. Legend has it that it got the "taco" name because it likes to bend, like a....

Click to view attachment

Thanks, Ian. I am pretty sure there was nothing plugged into the box connector when I got the car.
bkrantz
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 9 2020, 08:42 PM) *

Would it be possible to get a close up of the wires so we can see the color?

Clay, the 16 gauge wire going into the box is green.
Mikey914
The wires here look stock and should be just fine. The connector on one side has been replaced I would make sure is a sold connection but other than that good to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.