Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Build off challenge 2021 set up in progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
So if you have followed the “Builds” thread we have discussed another build off challenge

This one will be a little different in that we won’t have just a one car takes all. We will have some sub categories too. We are working out specifics but would run similar to the last event we sponsored.

Participants would “register”
They would receive a discount code from us to help out on the build.
The builds would be judged from what is submitted so lots of pics, before and after a must, along the way helps.
I would ask each to start their own thread and would put links at the 1st page of this build challenge so you could easily see where everyone is at.
Categories we are still trying to figure out. Last time it was a whole car challenge, we will have that, but thinking best interior as well as other categories.

We are looking to begin this officially in about 10 days. You can join the race at any point.

Looking to close this out at WCR21, so deadline will be about end of May ish, we have to figure out that date.

Here’s what was done before

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=265569

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=296915

I think it’s time to move this forward again beer3.gif
warpig
I think I am down for this. Cary says my red car is next up on the lift and I have been collecting engine parts all year.
May might be a stretch but I need the motivation. evilgrin.gif
I will have to find a pic of what it looked like before going to MiddleMotors a while ago.
Not much has happened since except for disassembly.
Gotta make room for those folks with money to spend on their cars. dry.gif
Plus I made the mistake of buying a running car to hold me over until the red one could get done.
Count me in!! aktion035.gif

DRPHIL914
great idea, maybe motovation to restart those stalled out projects!!
i didnt complete mine back in 2016, and didnt jump back in for the 2017 contest but car was completed between then and now, and has been at 2 concours events, This year at Amelia Island and 2018 late in year right after completion of paint body and reassembly at Hilton Head Concours Car Club Showcase. Anyone else that entered but not completed back then now complete? this would also be a fun update or maybe call it a reunion of the buildoff class of 2017 etc as intro and motivation for a 2021 class.

I can tell you it gave me motivation to finally get it done and i know i for one would like to see some of the other projects that were being worked on at that time. I would not have a completed car to the point it is now if not for the motivation i received thru that contest and the inspiration from seeing the work on others' cars, so
Mark maybe a call out to those participants if they are interested??

Mine is for the most part complete and has been seen by my east coast brothers and sisters at Okteenerfest 2018(1st place Custom class people's choice) and Okteenerfest 2019(2nd place by one vote to a super beautiful car). maybe even a page up above with a sticky for list and pictures for cars that were completed featured there so you dont have to search?
Just an idea, - great idea Mark and Matt, let the games begin!!!!!

Phil
tygaboy
So funny - from the 2017 Challenge, did only one of us actually get their car far enough along to be considered "done"? biggrin.gif

I'd be in for this one, too! Anything to help motivate me to get mine motivating.
(Plus I haven't bought any of the needed rubber parts!)
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 12 2020, 09:56 AM) *

So funny - from the 2017 Challenge, did only one of us actually get their car far enough along to be considered "done"? biggrin.gif

I'd be in for this one, too! Anything to help motivate me to get mine motivating.
(Plus I haven't bought any of the needed rubber parts!)

you mean other than the actual winner? not sure that’s why i kind of asked. i’m sure there are others that were close, i think 3 or 4 actually completed, Garland and Darrin in UK were stunning for sure!
nditiz1
I'd like to register.

While I'm not going for a chow quality, I am doing a 6 conversion. Will also be learning to weld in the same time beerchug.gif
mb911
Would love to do this but unfortunately I likely will sell my project. sad.gif
Optimusglen
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 12 2020, 10:37 AM) *

Aw man, no good. sad.gif

As for the Build Off Challenge, I'd throw my hat in. Is it ok that the project has already been in progress for a few years? haha.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=277349
bbrock
I think I joined the forum and started my build just after the last challenge ended. I've always been curious how those worked. Not sure I'll be eligible for this one since I'm near the end of my build but it should be fun to watch.

Ben - I'm really bummed to hear the bad turn of events. That truly sucks.
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 12 2020, 10:50 AM) *

I think I joined the forum and started my build just after the last challenge ended. I've always been curious how those worked. Not sure I'll be eligible for this one since I'm near the end of my build but it should be fun to watch.

Ben - I'm really bummed to hear the bad turn of events. That truly sucks.

@bbrock its a last resort kind of thing we will see what happens just can't commit to anything right now.. Family first.

@Optimusglen thanks..

Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 12 2020, 11:37 AM) *

@mb911

new_shocked.gif Noooooo

Ben, sorry to hear this, I was hoping you were in the clear
914forme
I'm in with a different car.

Still signal orange but this one is a real -6 and well I might be open enough with time to actually get it done. Willing to start a new thread as the old one has been dead for awhile now.

And I will need loads of rubber bits so a discount in exchange for my entertaining you is well worth it.
Cairo94507
Hi Stephen, I had to laugh when you mentioned a discount when building a Six. I know you were kidding, but it still caused me to almost shoot water out of my nose as I was taking a sip as I was reading. Regardless, I look forward to watching the build. beerchug.gif
BFMako
Hello Everyone. Count me in.
Finally caught up on my other projects and ready to start this one again. I will link my previous build attempts tomorrow and lay out what I plan on accomplishing.

My Build thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=304581&hl=

I will update it with the progress since then and continue through build. I was planning on doing this as my winter project but no I have some real motivation on getting it done.
Matty900
I would love to participate in this. Obviously not a for any 914 Rubber parts and would not effect any of that but it was what made me get the car done. I would suggest anyone working on a build project should join in on this. It was the support of the community and a deadline that really helped me to push through when I didn't have the time and would have delayed the project out. It also made me want to up my game on the detail level. This time I am doing a V8 GT car http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2749185
It's is going to be awesome but really doesn't start a chance against Chris and the amazing machine he has created but if it helps to motivate @tagaboy it's the least I can do to support him and the community for all of your help and motivation. Please it will get me to properly document the build.
Let me know if I can join in the fun
grantjd
Count me in- Ive made it about 90% of the way to a running and driving car on a few occasions. Some support would help get me the last 10% of the way.

autopro
This would be great to get me back on track to finishing my car. I had started taking it apart and then I had to put it in storage. Count me in! smile.gif
1adam12
Well... First task for me is to get my transmission issues fix just to drive my 1.7L again. I've had all of my parts for the 2.2L build including 2.0 case and rebuilt 1.8L heads sitting for 2 years now ! This will re-motivate me again.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 20 2020, 07:50 AM) *

I would love to participate in this. Obviously not a for any 914 Rubber parts and would not effect any of that but it was what made me get the car done. I would suggest anyone working on a build project should join in on this. It was the support of the community and a deadline that really helped me to push through when I didn't have the time and would have delayed the project out. It also made me want to up my game on the detail level. This time I am doing a V8 GT car http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2749185
It's is going to be awesome but really doesn't start a chance against Chris and the amazing machine he has created but if it helps to motivate @tagaboy it's the least I can do to support him and the community for all of your help and motivation. Please it will get me to properly document the build.
Let me know if I can join in the fun

Yes, but only as an “observer” Status biggrin.gif
808 WRX
I'm probably in too (with a Subaru swap).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.