Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Piston barrel spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
Forgiven me if a stupid q....

I am re-building my 1974 2.0 and following the manuals and Raby video. As I measure the deck height, I am too close - about .15”

I have some spacers, but it appears they only fit correctly on the head side and not on the case side of the barrel. They are too small if I try to install between the barrel and the case. I am using AA pistons and 96 size

Is it ok to add the spacers on top of the barrel instead of below to add the necessary height?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
iankarr
The general consensus is no. Whether or not head "gaskets" shold be used at all is a topic of debate. Google it and you'll see. They definitely make cylinder barrel "shims" in a variety of sizes. Doesn't matter if the jugs are 94mm or 96mm...if they fit properly in the case, the shims will work. And that's about as much engine advice as I'm qualified to give smile.gif.

How are you measuring the deck height? Are you using a specific tool? dial gauge? I'm sure if you post a pic of your setup, the engine gurus can offer more insight.
iankarr
Here's a link to EMW's site for shims...

http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/vw/type-4-shims.html
Superhawk996
QUOTE(simonjb @ Aug 11 2020, 11:23 PM) *

I am re-building my 1974 2.0 and following the manuals and Raby video. As I measure the deck height, I am too close - about .15”

@simonjb
Need clarification. 0.15" is not too close. That is a lot of deck height.

0.15mm on the other hand is way to little.

Deck hight sould be in neighborhood of 0.040" Forty thousands of an inch or about 1mm.

0.15" of deck hight is beyond TRIPLE that minimum deck height of 0.040"
Superhawk996

Deck hight sould be in neighborhood of 0.040" Minimum. Forty thousands of an inch or about 1mm. Maximum is more like 0.060" unless you've got something unusual going on to manage compression ratio.

simonjb
sorry...I meant .015 !!!!! Thanks....
iankarr
Easier to have less than more, for sure.

Since I've now been through two 2056 builds with AA pistons and jugs where the deck height out of the box is over .070, I'm wondering if maybe you got a new (better) set of castings...or if the rig you're using to measure is giving different readings. How exactly are you measuring DH?
jsaum
How did you adjust the deck height for .070?
iankarr
That’s just the way it came up with the AA pistons. When I switched to KB pistons the deck height (with no shims) measured a much more normal .030
simonjb
So I tried again tonight and also installed the stock sealing ring between the barrel and the case. I tightened down the barrel and then turned the crank to get TDC. First one was .033. I did it again on another and got .034. The method I used was a straight edge solid metal bar across the barrel top and then used detached feeler gauges to slide under the bar until there was no resistance.
type2man
European motor works has what you need. Or you could try calling Raby since he made the video. He should have tech support. Call him.
wndsrfr
When you do order the shims, my advice from experience is to get two sets. Measure them after removing the burr on the inner edge from the stamping process. I found a significant variation within one pack so had to take one from the other pack to get four of the same thickness.
porschetub
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 13 2020, 02:42 AM) *

Deck hight sould be in neighborhood of 0.040" Minimum. Forty thousands of an inch or about 1mm. Maximum is more like 0.060" unless you've got something unusual going on to manage compression ratio.

Wise words,however the OP hasn't mentioned a target compression ratio ?,didn't someone mention the AA barrels are too long to get correct deck height and require machining @ the case register ??.
You can do head gasket delete if you so desire but heads need to be flycut for that so the seal is 100% and only if the barrel heights are equal and no erosion of the case registers.
Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.