Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM's Turbo 4 Cyl engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
Does anyone have any experience with this engine, a twin screwed 4 cyl turbo used in the Solstice and the Saturn Sky the 2 seater's sports car.. rated at 260 HP, Thanks, Frank confused24.gif
Mark Henry
My son has a 2007 cobalt SS, 2.0 supercharged LSJ engine, 210hp.

Typical GM engine electrical/sensor issues, weak coils, dealer service is useless. I believe the turbo engines have simular issues.
Saab trans is OK but weak if you abuse it, that's if it has the F37.

Lots of go fast goodies from ZZP here.
Mueller
A member here just put one of those engines in his 914, should be good for 300+ hp.

I have a co-worker that builds these Ecotec motors, he recently bought a CNC mill that is large enough to put the block on the table to bore out the old liners for custom cylinder liners.
brant
Neighbor has a cobalt drag car with this motor
but over 400hp
flmont
Mr. Mueller, So it fits a 914..nicely... or do you know how well that install went ? Thanks,. Frank
1adam12
I believe Rhys Millen was the first to modify one of these engines when he campaigned a Solstice for Formula Drift way, way back. I remember him saying that the engine was capable of doing 500+ but I can't remember all the details from that convo. Try and find his build online, should be a few features on it.
Mueller
He might have more pictures, this is the only one I could find right now:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2678927

flmont
+ Thanks Guys..!!
Mark Henry
If you look many a baja bug and sand rail owner has used the ecotec engine, one of the big reasons is it doesn't weigh much more than a type one engine. IIRC it's about 250lbs dry.
KEP makes an VW trans adapter for it.
flmont
Thanks Mark..I was just about to go there and look for it..T.Y,.!! Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.