Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Porsche Gullwing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Freezin 914
Looks pretty neat, crazy timeline. Looks a little 959esk.
ValcoOscar
biggrin.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
ri914
Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement, I have had a lot of help from many members with sourcing parts, diagnosing issues and the most important occasional "words of wisdom"

I got very lucky meeting many of you and learning how the 914 works, what was needed for my build and how to keep things safe. it has been very rewarding so far and I cant believe how fun this car is to drive.

I am going to work on getting some in car and external driving videos this week.

Here is a closeup of the emblem I put on the hood and the side graphic design I am trying out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Great, now I have another bucket list item:
Seeing this car in person! w00t.gif
ri914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 10 2020, 08:12 PM) *

Great, now I have another bucket list item:
Seeing this car in person! w00t.gif

I don't want to dilute your bucket list or anyone else, the car looks great in pictures but is far from something anyone should put on a list. Now if you had a garbage pail list, that would be ok smile.gif

In all seriousness anyone is welcome to check the car out. As I drive it more I will be pushing the distance radius. Should be hitting up a few shops this week of friends to go over the build and get tips on a few items.

So if your in New England and want to see this mixture of parts feel free to msg or email anytime.
JOEPROPER
I'm not that far away. Maybe I'll see it one day. biggrin.gif
tazz9924
If you are looking fir downforce in the rear i would put the wing higher. Theres a cfd pf a 914 somewhere that says the ideal spot is level with the roof and as far back as possible. And while i suggest getting a wing element that fits the look of the car which is much more rounded the aggressive. I bet a change in end plate design would go a long way of making it match. Just an idea
ri914
I have decided to revert back to standard doors on the 914. The car is ridiculously fast. in fact I would say it is more impressive regarding acceleration than most of my other cars... including a 600hp 911 turbo s. definitely has a lot to do with the power to weight ratio.

either way figured i would add a couple pics of the re-conversion.

Click to view attachment door on operating table

Click to view attachment growth removed

Click to view attachment jealous S8 and 991 turbo S

Click to view attachment recovering room
Cairo94507
@ri914 , I am curious, what made you revert too original doors? Your gull-wing doors looked to work well. Great project and build BTW. beerchug.gif
ri914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 20 2020, 12:03 PM) *

@ri914 , I am curious, what made you revert too original doors? Your gull-wing doors looked to work well. Great project and build BTW. beerchug.gif

Thanks for the kind words Cairo, the doors were great but only worked ok. In the beginning the best part of the car was the doors, then once the car was built they were the worst part. I really think I need to get a cage in the car first, then build my next version off of that.

I also will be using better hinges than ones that are designed for interior doors on a house smile.gif

tygaboy
The Gods of Fabrication and All Things Cool command you:

Thou shalt not abandon the doors of gull wing-ness!

And from little ol' me: "Cage that bad boy and let's see V2!"
ri914
thanks Tygaboy, another issue to ponder... my car is up for inspection. It is registered and insured but needs a sticker. No way I was going to get a sticker with a broken windshield right? the next issue is that the tech would never, never, never pass the doors. certainly not on v1.

they are already going to have to overlook many features and upgrades. My plan is to get these doors back to normal. one is already done. Then get the glass and sticker applied and look into the cage and v2 of the gull wing doors. This time I am thinking mandrel bent support arms and very nice hinges. I have even figured out a way to incorporate a stationary air intake on the roof with the doors being able to move and no gap for the roof. v2 will also still allow me to remove the targa portion and let the sky in.

have you been able to really push your car yet? the power of these 914's with a modern efi v8 is insane.

Zodiac
Awesome Gullwings, I want that door conversion. I would pay you to convert mine, but I am all the way in California. Could we make some arrangements?
Gearup
QUOTE(ri914 @ Oct 16 2020, 07:40 PM) *

Got the seats and the exhaust ready for testing. Now I just need to get some help on the wiring for the headlights smile.gif

Click to view attachment
planning the attack

Click to view attachment
Testing some bends

Click to view attachment
Plenty of clearance

Click to view attachment
Looking good for a 30min test exhaust...

Parts were acquired via amazon for under 200.... Enough material left over to still build about 4 more exhausts.

Cool build. I have an LS1 and the Boxster tranny with Boxster brakes all around as well. Where did you source your parts from the trans axle flanges all the way to the wheel and what car models were they sourced from?

Brett
ri914

Cool build. I have an LS1 and the Boxster tranny with Boxster brakes all around as well. Where did you source your parts from the trans axle flanges all the way to the wheel and what car models were they sourced from?

Brett

Hi Brett, sorry for the extremely late reply. I called Renegade for all my conversion parts. 914 world members supplied all the 914 items for new or hard to find items I think I literally called everyone. in the 914 community.

ben-
rick 918-S
Nice build. Do not know how I missed it. assimilate.gif
914rrr
Awesome build!! In case I missed it, have you added any chassis reinforcement to this beast? welder.gif

Just a heads up in case you haven't addressed this: waaay back in the day (80's?) there was a 914 twin turbo SBC VW & Porsche magazine cover car. It was FS here a few years ago for cheap. ( I seriously considered buying it).

One of the reasons it was so cheap was the prodigious amounts of power and torque the powertrain generated caused the floor pan and long welds to literally pull apart on that car despite attempts to half ass weld in some bracing after the fact.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 19 2023, 09:48 AM) *

It's almost a little ALIEN-esque alien.gif

rick 918-S
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Mar 3 2023, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 19 2023, 09:48 AM) *

It's almost a little ALIEN-esque alien.gif

Who says Aliens only abduct people assimilate.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.