Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MPS Tuning Analysis
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
gonzo54
QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Dec 1 2022, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 1 2022, 01:24 PM) *

I'm not sure I understand half of the technical detail involed in MPS tuning and I don't have the equipment, so I'm looking for someone in the Southern California area that can provide this service. I know that I will have to add a Bung to my Bursch exhaust (cylinder #3?) Any advice or reource would be appreciated.

Thanks-Rick

I've sent (2) to FIC. for testing and rebuild.
(no affiliation).

https://fuelinjectioncorp.com/

QM

I would like to take my car to someone that has the equipment and knowledge to fine tune the MPS
emerygt350
There are probably about three people that fit that description. It really isn't bad but I can understand not wanting to try. Somebody in CA must have the know how, or is it just us New Englanders that obsess over MPS?
gonzo54
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 1 2022, 02:52 PM) *

There are probably about three people that fit that description. It really isn't bad but I can understand not wanting to try. Somebody in CA must have the know how, or is it just us New Englanders that obsess over MPS?

That would be a long drive but what an adventure in a 914!
windforfun
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 26 2022, 01:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sorry! IT’S A JOKE!!! biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

Wasn't the 914 the first production car to be sold in the USA with fuel injection?
emerygt350
QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 1 2022, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 1 2022, 02:52 PM) *

That would be a long drive but what an adventure in a 914!

I wouldn't chance it with out a tuned mps though...

I would love to drive cross country in mine. Wish I had the time.
gonzo54
QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 1 2022, 11:24 AM) *

I'm not sure I understand half of the technical detail involed in MPS tuning and I don't have the equipment, so I'm looking for someone in the Southern California area that can provide this service. I know that I will have to add a Bung to my Bursch exhaust (cylinder #3?) Any advice or reource would be appreciated.

Thanks-Rick

Robert @Robarabian do you have any MPS tuning contacts in So Cal?

Thanks-Rick
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(windforfun @ Dec 1 2022, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 26 2022, 01:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sorry! IT’S A JOKE!!! biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

Wasn't the 914 the first production car to be sold in the USA with fuel injection?

No. Mechancial FI goes back to some 50's US production cars. Bosch Electronic FI...68 VWs I recall, but several makers came out with it about the same time.
Robarabian
Hi Rick. As I said in my post, I obtained the same test meter that PB Anders referred to. I have mine rebuilt now and bench adjusted. I got side tracked on my 914-6 conversion car and this car has been sitting. But it is installed. My goal is to get it started and then do some adjusting. I purchased an AFR meter that I can install, and I also have access to a CO meter for adjustment. I am learning it as well since there is nobody reliable around me that does it. I am happy to help you bench set yours up. If I am successful with the AFR install and tuning, Im happy to share the knowledge. It just may take a little time, I have to get the 6 on the road... hopefully in the next 2 weeks ( I have to travel for work next week).

We're not too far from each other so if you are totally stuck, hit me up. You have to be able to get to the adjustment screw which is that hardest part, removing that darn epoxy. You cant adjust without doing that.

I rebuilt mine, it holds vacuum, and all the electrics check out so far.

QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 1 2022, 06:15 PM) *

Thanks-Rick

Thanks-Rick

gonzo54
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 1 2022, 08:15 PM) *

Hi Rick. As I said in my post, I obtained the same test meter that PB Anders referred to. I have mine rebuilt now and bench adjusted. I got side tracked on my 914-6 conversion car and this car has been sitting. But it is installed. My goal is to get it started and then do some adjusting. I purchased an AFR meter that I can install, and I also have access to a CO meter for adjustment. I am learning it as well since there is nobody reliable around me that does it. I am happy to help you bench set yours up. If I am successful with the AFR install and tuning, Im happy to share the knowledge. It just may take a little time, I have to get the 6 on the road... hopefully in the next 2 weeks ( I have to travel for work next week).

We're not too far from each other so if you are totally stuck, hit me up. You have to be able to get to the adjustment screw which is that hardest part, removing that darn epoxy. You cant adjust without doing that.

Thanks-Rick

Thanks-Rick

Thanks Robert, I'm currently rebuilding my motor-my MPS is working but I found a lot of carbon in the heads. So I hope to have it running late January and begin the break in. I'll see how it's running and probably contact you early spring to see if an adjustment can be made. I do have a question regarding welding in the bung, I have a Bursch exhaust - should the bung be welded in #3 exhaust and what size and threads on the bung?

Thanks again for the advice-Rick
Robarabian
PM me and we can talk offline and keep this from bumping up top... That part is easy.

QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 2 2022, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 1 2022, 08:15 PM) *

Thanks-Rick

Thanks-Rick

Thanks Robert, I'm currently rebuilding my motor-my MPS is working but I found a lot of carbon in the heads. So I hope to have it running late January and begin the break in. I'll see how it's running and probably contact you early spring to see if an adjustment can be made. I do have a question regarding welding in the bung, I have a Bursch exhaust - should the bung be welded in #3 exhaust and what size and threads on the bung?

Thanks again for the advice-Rick

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Dec 1 2022, 03:05 PM) *

(no affiliation).

QM

I've disassembled more than 2 that were rebuilt by FIC.
Their diaphragm is brass shim stock, handmade, & a total POS.
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 3 2022, 05:13 AM) *

(no affiliation).

QM

Well thats terrible news...yowsa. thanks for the input. Do you rebuild them? May have to send you one. I've read alot of positive posts regarding your kits.

TJX,

QM
Robarabian
I'll vouch for Chris' kit, it is what I used. And when I needed help cause I stripped out the aluminum plug, I sent it to him and he got it out and fixed up. Theyre not hard to rebuild the instructions are pretty straightforward.

QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Dec 3 2022, 03:46 AM) *

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 3 2022, 05:13 AM) *

(no affiliation).

QM

Well thats terrible news...yowsa. thanks for the input. Do you rebuild them? May have to send you one. I've read alot of positive posts regarding your kits.

TJX,

QM

emerygt350
Exactly, go with tangerine racing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.