Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any luck with Costco batteries?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewck
On my phone so maybe my ability to search is impaired, but saw that many of you are running Odyssey PC680 or PC1200, or Optima 34R. Has anybody run a Costco battery (Interstate I believe)? Any guidance on size or quality?
fiacra
QUOTE(andrewck @ Aug 16 2020, 07:22 AM) *

On my phone so maybe my ability to search is impaired, but saw that many of you are running Odyssey PC680 or PC1200, or Optima 34R. Has anybody run a Costco battery (Interstate I believe)? Any guidance on size or quality?

The short answer: No. I took a short trip down that path and realized it was going nowhere. The slightly longer answer: Get a sealed battery and help minimize the risk of battery acid causing a problem. Lots of good threads on what batteries work well. Also, lots of conflicting advice! Forgive me if you already know this but using google to search the site seems to work the best. Simply add "914world" to the search terms and you should get results. Good luck!
Amphicar770
Agree with previous post.

Costco, or other lead acid batteries, fine for your regular cars. Stick to sealed / AGM type for 914 and never have to worry about battery acid damaging the hell hole. I've gotten 10+ years out of my AGM batteries.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(andrewck @ Aug 16 2020, 10:22 AM) *

The commonly used Odyssey battery would be the PC925.
I run a PC680 in my 3.0, 10.1CR six with no issues. The downside to Odyssey and most sealed batteries is you must buy or fabricate a mount.
I could see running a bigger battery for a HP stereo, but most of the time I listen to the beautiful music the weber /6 makes.
Amphicar770
Will have to check what Optima I have but it was a drop in replacement. Did not need to fabricate a mount.
thelogo
You can use those. But if youre gonna park it for more them 2 weeks .

Remove the battery if not .... I think u know where that leads

. ran when Parked : 99% rust free hissyfit.gif av-943.gif
fiacra
I followed the lead of @rfinegan and put in a PC925 (see below for link to thread). No problems so far. Total cost of just over $220 for the battery, terminals, and the mount (got the battery and terminals on Amazon and the mount on eBay). However, took about two weeks for the battery and then the mount to arrive so if you are looking to replace it today.....probably won't work out. If I was in a rush I probably would have just stolen the battery from my wife's car happy11.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...347175&st=0
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Aug 16 2020, 03:05 PM) *

Will have to check what Optima I have but it was a drop in replacement. Did not need to fabricate a mount.

I'd be careful with this, I had a customer who just dropped it in and the holder J-mold sawed right through one of the cells. If the battery still moves around after clamping it down it's a recipe for disaster.
I used some Trim-Lok Edge Trim on the j-mold with my old Optima, it filled up the gap making for a solid install and added some protection from the sharp edge of the stock holder.
andrewck
QUOTE(fiacra @ Aug 16 2020, 02:17 PM) *

I followed the lead of @rfinegan and put in a PC925 (see below for link to thread). No problems so far. Total cost of just over $220 for the battery, terminals, and the mount (got the battery and terminals on Amazon and the mount on eBay). However, took about two weeks for the battery and then the mount to arrive so if you are looking to replace it today.....probably won't work out. If I was in a rush I probably would have just stolen the battery from my wife's car happy11.gif

Ended up doing this exact setup, so thank you. Battery is in the mount, but doesn't look like the tie down has a good place to attach. Do you have a photo of your installed setup so I can see where your bracket sits?
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 16 2020, 04:26 PM) *

I'd be careful with this, I had a customer who just dropped it in and the holder J-mold sawed right through one of the cells. If the battery still moves around after clamping it down it's a recipe for disaster.
I used some Trim-Lok Edge Trim on the j-mold with my old Optima, it filled up the gap making for a solid install and added some protection from the sharp edge of the stock holder.

Back when I had an Optima all I had to do was email Optima and ask for a Group 78 hold down. They sent a meaty plastic piece that replaced the metal bracket and worked great.

quick google for a pic biggrin.gif thread
Amphicar770
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 16 2020, 07:26 PM) *

Thanks. It's been a while since I out it in there. In retrospect, while I did not need a custom mount, I did take a hacksaw and trimmed off some of the plastic on bottom of battery. It then fit great, locked in there nice and tight.

windforfun
So far so good.

76-914
This post reminded me to add ~4oz water to my 6 yo Costco lead/acid battery. biggrin.gif My car gets wet once every 3-4 years and the battery sits in a plastic tray so the cheap ones work for me. beerchug.gif
fiacra
QUOTE(andrewck @ Sep 6 2020, 07:51 PM) *

QUOTE(fiacra @ Aug 16 2020, 02:17 PM) *

Ended up doing this exact setup, so thank you. Battery is in the mount, but doesn't look like the tie down has a good place to attach. Do you have a photo of your installed setup so I can see where your bracket sits?

Check post #12 and #14 of Robert's original thread for some pics. I used a hold down I scavenged from the bone yard. Won't be able to get some pictures of my car until this week-end at the earliest. Maybe @rfinegan has some pictures/insight?
Gint
Cheap ass autozone group 42 lead acid battery in my 914 for ... I can't even remember how many years. Works just fine. The car almost never gets wet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.