Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Felt Washer!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
'74 2.0 Stock

When I took apart the clutch assembly, everything looked great, flywheel, clutch, etc. However, I decided to replace all of the things that can go wrong. biggrin.gif

I replaced the clutch, presure plate, crush plate, Clutch-fork-pivot-cup, thrust bearing and guides, and had the Flywheel looked at by a machine shop. Ordered all of the parts necessary to do the job including the felt washer. beer3.gif

Did the job and then stood back to admire my work beerchug.gif AND - there was the felt washer. To be clear, I did not find one on the way in and kind-of forgot about it.

Soooooooooo, i read up on the dangers of not having this tidbit and over on the Bird Board there were notes on this, mostly stating that this is a lubricant reservoir of the needle bearing in the flywheel.

confused24.gif

Questions:

Can I reuse the crush plate?

Flywheel mounting bolts - can they be reused??? I read that they may be one-time use bolts!

Where EXACTLY does the felt washer go?

I read that some people countersink the needle bearing in the flywheel so the washer will fit in the recess. What they do not say is WHICH SIDE does the felt washer get installed? Clutch or Engine?

Last, I did not change the Flywheel nor change the spacers and I noticed once the Flywheel was bolted back on there was NO Axial play in the crankshaft where I have read there should be a few mil or play....... confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby

You need to pull the tranny and flywheel and install this washer my friend.

It contains the grease in the needle bearing from getting to your clutch disk, which if it becomes contaminated with grease, will no worky no mo.
rhodyguy
Clutch bearing depth in the FW is addressed on P71 of your Haynes.
Ansbacher
I looked at Diagram 4.7 on Page 71 of the Haynes manual. I can't make heads or tails of what it is describing. It says "a = 0.126 in (3.2 mm) but what is it referencing ? The drawing is ambiguous, at least to me.

Need to know, as I am in the middle of this same job as the OP.

Ansbacher
ctc911ctc

Same here, I believe it is on the clutch side. I will take off the crush plate and recess the bearing approximately 3.2 MM (the three is hard, the point two is hysterical).......guess I could build a jig to set the bearing at that depth. I will post results.....

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Aug 17 2020, 05:17 PM) *

I looked at Diagram 4.7 on Page 71 of the Haynes manual. I can't make heads or tails of what it is describing. It says "a = 0.126 in (3.2 mm) but what is it referencing? The drawing is ambiguous, at least to me.

Need to know, as I am in the middle of this same job as the OP.

Ansbacher
ctc911ctc
I read through the Haynes manual, also reviewed this How TO on the Bird..

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ch_replace3.htm

Look - good picture of the felt washer location.

Click to view attachment

Seems that this instruction has the bearing flush. I will pound it another 3.2 (I have a very large drift, will set a marker line at 3.2 and tap until we are there.

As to the bolts and crush plate - any religious issues with re-use?
Ansbacher
I believe the consensus is that the crush plate and the flywheel bolts are one time use only. You can measure endplay with the old stuff, but final assembly should be with a new plate and bolts. I bought new ones for my job.

Ansbacher
iankarr
agree.gif
You've gotten great advice from the brain trust. Here's a link to my clutch replacement video if you want to see the felt washer installation. Cue to 13:55

https://youtu.be/o1sDHWxTOxk
rhodyguy
Fig 4.7. dry.gif rolleyes.gif the technical drawing. Not a picture.
jcd914
Flywheel bolts are reusable.

Crush plate is single use.

Jim
brant
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 18 2020, 09:24 AM) *

Flywheel bolts are reusable.

Crush plate is single use.

Jim

agreed
911 flywheel bolts are one time use (at least the 6 bolt version)
914 are reusable.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.