Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Duct Joint Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
When reassembling the heater ducts under the engine is there a high temp sealing material that goes between the joins or is it just metal on metal?

Picture is just an example of the joints, but I'm asking about all of them.

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
914rubber has them

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
The 914 Rubber piece is the best way to go, but before these were available my friend and 914 guru Brad Mayeur told me to use the red high temp silicone sealant. Squeeze an even bead in the groove on the bottom and then all around the top. Let it sit for about 10 mins or until it just skins over and then install. Wipe off excess.
nathanxnathan
Besides the seal under the "cap" I've seen some that have what I think is a cork-like strip in the channel below. -it seemed original and I think it was glued in.
Mikey914
Yes the original was more of a cork material. We made the seal from a high temp silicone so you could reuse it if you want. We also include stainless screw with allen heads so that you can remove easier without stripping as this area of the car tends to get quite dirty, and these can corrode easily (stock).
BillC
In addition to the rectangular gasket shown in the picture in post #2, there's also a U-shaped gasket that goes in the branch piece shown in the first pic. It fits in the channel at the front of the branch piece (under where the clamp part gets attached).

Unfortunately, I haven't seen that gasket available anywhere, and each side is a slightly different size. I was going to cut up an extra set of the rectangular gaskets to fit, unless Mark comes out with the correct gaskets before I get around to installing my heater parts.
bdstone914
QUOTE(BillC @ Aug 20 2020, 01:56 PM) *

In addition to the rectangular gasket shown in the picture in post #2, there's also a U-shaped gasket that goes in the branch piece shown in the first pic. It fits in the channel at the front of the branch piece (under where the clamp part gets attached).

Unfortunately, I haven't seen that gasket available anywhere, and each side is a slightly different size. I was going to cut up an extra set of the rectangular gaskets to fit, unless Mark comes out with the correct gaskets before I get around to installing my heater parts.

I have never seen a gasket in that location and there is not much gap for one.
I got the 1" x 1/16 rubber cork gasket material. It was $10 for a 100 ft roll. I am going to try a piece there.
BillC
dup
BillC
IIRC, the gasket was silvery and didn't look like cork, like the rectangular gasket. It seemed like a metal or metal-mix, like lead and/or asbestos, and maybe 1mm thick. Or, maybe it was cork that picked up so much metal from the fan shroud that it looked like metal. Either way, it was very fragile and would break if removed.

That adhesive cork strip looks like it might work pretty well.
nathanxnathan
The seal here was cork - probably should have removed it before i painted it

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.