Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dansk Muffler vs Bursch Extractor - Opinion on Sound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cbarbato
My 72 1.7 with D-Jet and stainless steel heat exchangers is suffering from an exhaust leak via walnut sized hole in the muffler of its Bursch Extractor. Easy fix I thought, the extractor has been on the car for 10 years. Time to replace it with a new one. Wrong. It would seem that no one, including Bursch, Sebring, etc.. makes an exhaust system that will fit through an early steel valence with the tail pipe hole, at least not anymore. I have always had a Bursch, even on my 73 2.0 from my high school days and have come accustomed to the tone and exhaust note.

Since it seem like change is in the air I’m looking for some opinions on the Dansk 1.7l muffler specifically as it compares to the Bursch. As I understand it, this is the closest thing to the original banana muffler. Will I be disappointed with sound quality and will I notice a hit to performance running a Dansk?

Other options would be to take it to a muffler shop and weld in a new muffler to the 10 year old system or replace the valence which is in pretty much perfect condition.
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(Cbarbato @ Aug 19 2020, 03:53 PM) *

My 72 1.7 with D-Jet and stainless steel heat exchangers is suffering from an exhaust leak via walnut sized hole in the muffler of its Bursch Extractor. Easy fix I thought, the extractor has been on the car for 10 years. Time to replace it with a new one. Wrong. It would seem that no one, including Bursch, Sebring, etc.. makes an exhaust system that will fit through an early steel valence with the tail pipe hole, at least not anymore. I have always had a Bursch, even on my 73 2.0 from my high school days and have come accustomed to the tone and exhaust note.

Since it seem like change is in the air I’m looking for some opinions on the Dansk 1.7l muffler specifically as it compares to the Bursch. As I understand it, this is the closest thing to the original banana muffler. Will I be disappointed with sound quality and will I notice a hit to performance running a Dansk?

Other options would be to take it to a muffler shop and weld in a new muffler to the 10 year old system or replace the valence which is in pretty much perfect condition.

You should talk to Ben @MB911 .

I have one of his stainless creations and it's awesome. smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=339789

Cairo94507
I agree 100%. Ben @MB911 makes the best exhaust you will find anywhere. They look like works of art as a bonus. beerchug.gif
mepstein
We (Ben & I) will be making a side exit 1.7 muffler very soon. I believe the early 1.7 tailpipe is in a slightly different location than the later, shorter valance. We will be doing the later valance but if there’s enough people who want an early one, I can do that too. If someone wants to organize a group buy, they will get a discount for their efforts.
mb911
Not the most flattering picture there of the garage but I have to much of my sons stuff in there.

type2man
I like the sound of the Bursch. It's not too loud unless you really romp on it. I am not a big fan of loud exhausts.
mb911
I make a very quiet muffler for all 914s .. I don't care for loud ones either any more
JamesJ
Ben, do you make a muffler for a stock 1.8 motor that exits out the factory rear valance cut-out? ...for a ‘74.
mb911
QUOTE(JamesJ @ Aug 19 2020, 05:05 PM) *

Ben, do you make a muffler for a stock 1.8 motor that exits out the factory rear valance cut-out? ...for a ‘74.

I don't have a fixture for a 1.8 yet
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 20 2020, 12:36 PM) *

I make a very quiet muffler for all 914s .. I don't care for loud ones either any more

That welding drooley.gif ,IMO its hard to get folks to understand that loud isn't better,a muffler that is designed correctly will not be loud but maybe a bit more throaty and also supply a power gain in there too.
jim_hoyland
I have an early valance with the hole too and I have the Bursch extractor. I had the local muffler shop cut and refit the tail pipe so it passes through the hole.Plus I added a 911 exhaust tip.
When I contemplated going with another muffler, the fabricator suggested that the tailpiece could be left separate for fitting. That made a lotto sense.

I would order one of Marks SS mufflers if the tail pipe portion could be somewhat separate.
mepstein
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 20 2020, 08:21 AM) *

I have an early valance with the hole too and I have the Bursch extractor. I had the local muffler shop cut and refit the tail pipe so it passes through the hole.Plus I added a 911 exhaust tip.
When I contemplated going with another buffer, the fabricator suggested that the tailpiece could be left separate for fitting. That made a lotto sense.

I would order one of Marks SS mufflers if the tail pipe portion could be somewhat separate.

I’ll see what we can do.

@MB911
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 20 2020, 04:31 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 20 2020, 08:21 AM) *

When I contemplated going with another buffer, the fabricator suggested that the tailpiece could be left separate for fitting. That made a lotto sense.

I’ll see what we can do.

@MB911

It just adds cost to do so as you have to purchase a clamp and more setup time to make
JmuRiz
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 19 2020, 03:48 PM) *

Not the most flattering picture there of the garage but I have to much of my sons stuff in there.

lol-2.gif You'd have a heart attack if you saw my garage
EdwardBlume
There are some parts that are just so well done, you just have to put one on your car.
913B
Will, there be any provisions for an oxygen sensor bung in the future?
mb911
QUOTE(913B @ Aug 21 2020, 08:46 PM) *

Will, there be any provisions for an oxygen sensor bung in the future?

Are you asking as far as my mufflers? I can do them to your spec.
Marv's3.6six
Ben says:I make a very quiet muffler for all 914s .. I don't care for loud ones either any more.

Best single mod I have made to my car in years. Thanks Ben.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.