Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which filter to buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hi everyone,

I am planning for my first oil/filter change on my 914-6. Who makes the best quality filter for our cars now? I thought it was Mann back in the day. Not sure now. What do you use?

Thanks,
Michael
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 24 2020, 04:26 AM) *

Hi everyone,

I am planning for my first oil/filter change on my 914-6. Who makes the best filter for our cars now? I thought it was Mann back in the day. Not sure now. What do you use?

Thanks,
Michael

Wix 51515R....
Baumgardner
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 24 2020, 08:26 AM) *

Hi everyone,

I am planning for my first oil/filter change on my 914-6. Who makes the best filter for our cars now? I thought it was Mann back in the day. Not sure now. What do you use?

Thanks,
Michael

Napa Gold 1374 (made by Wix).
rgalla9146
Your car ?
Please get from the dealer.
Or next best get a Mahle or a Mann.
Also, Porsche now sells correct vintage look filters.
Best to check what filter console you have, the fitting could be the larger later
version.
Stuff plenty of absorbent something under and around before removing the filter.
Drain hot tank first. Mahle OC 33 is correct.
Rory
porschetub
I'am using a larger Mahle one than is speced for say the original "6" tank,seem to remember its for the 2.7 or 3.0L,will check which one I have,someone wiser than me on Pelican suggested it.
I only use OEM filters if its a Porsche,Audi or VW.
Cairo94507
Yeah, I think I want the Porsche recommended filter and good tip re the rags under the filter and draining the tank first of course. My car still has its original oil tank and filter console. Thanks Guys.
Krieger
Use the OEM Mahle for a 914/6. Can't remember the number
Krieger
Micheal, do you have an oil filter cutter? For fun you may want to cut up your old oil filter. And/or you can sent some oil out for analysis. Blackstone Labs is good. I think about $30 shipped.
Cairo94507
Thanks for the reminder re the oil analysis. I do plan to send out a sample of the oil. I just ordered the Blackstone oil sample kit so I will be ready to go.
914_7T3
Good call on the analysis for first oil change. I’ve got a sample into Blackstone right now. Mahle is the OEM filter. Not sure of correct model for a 6, however it’s OC 28 for a 4 Cyl.

driving.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 25 2020, 08:35 AM) *

Thanks for the reminder re the oil analysis. I do plan to send out a sample of the oil. I just ordered the Blackstone oil sample kit so I will be ready to go.

Excellent idea,when I worked on ships we took regular sampling of major machinery and saved huge $$$$$, this was a mandatory requirement to get insurance from the vessels insurer and industry standard.
Nearly 30 yrs in the industry I have seen it all with oil samples,some very interesting results,non ferrous metals,ferrous metals,fuel dilution,water content and many other factors are covered.
Hope yours results are good beer.gif .
Cairo94507
OK, thanks to all. I placed my order for 2 Mahle filters from Pelican.
roblav1
I third the Wix recommendation.
Luke M
I would definitely check your current filter/oil console to see which is on there.
I upgraded my factory unit to the PMS unit for when my 3.2/3.4 is done. It has a larger oil filter. I'm not sure if it's needed but it can't hurt. After all there was a reason the factory went to the larger filter with the larger displacement engines.

I also use the NAPA/Wix filters on all of my other cars as well. Used the NAPA/Wix filter on my Audi Q7 for over 10 years. Never had a problem with q-control. 160000 miles and still running strong. I always inspected it upon removal as well.

For the Cayenne I always use the Mahle oil filter. It's newer and still under warranty so don't want the dealer saying anything if something where to happen. I will switch to the NAPA/Wix filter once the warranty is up.

https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/oil...fe4e1&_ss=r
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.