Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do with an old 914 engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Big Len
You gotta see this -

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/pts/d/ma...7175449546.html
rbzymek
What could possibly go wrong?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Big Len @ Aug 24 2020, 10:34 AM) *

Looks like it will do a good job at circulating the exhaust gases and hot air from the engine. Safe enough with no guard.
ctc911ctc
I saw this over the weekend - Prop NOT included. confused24.gif

What the heck was that thing cooling? confused24.gif
mb911
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Aug 24 2020, 09:41 AM) *

I saw this over the weekend - Prop NOT included. confused24.gif

What the heck was that thing cooling? confused24.gif

Well his shop of course biggrin.gif
Frankvw
the prop had to be buried in the desert since it has 5 liters of DNA on it from the guy that walked into it ? Sell off the rest of the evidence...done !
ClayPerrine
WTF.gif

It's not even a 914 motor. Just a Type III VW engine. Look at the exhaust port locations.

SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 24 2020, 11:21 AM) *
It's not even a 914 motor. Just a Type III VW engine. Look at the exhaust port locations.

agree.gif
poorsche914
May have been used on an airboat at some point? confused24.gif

Many years ago, I rode in an airboat powered by a VW Type 1 engine.

driving.gif
fixer34
Yep, that's a type 3 engine including the Solex carbs, so '67 or earlier.
Funny how he has a wire mesh around a 10" fan for the engine cooling and a 4 ft prop wide open...
73-914
Looks like Airboat engine to me also
Nacho
Actually these types of engines are popular for the home builder entry level airplane/gliders.

-Nacho
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Nacho @ Aug 24 2020, 02:52 PM) *

Actually these types of engines are popular for the home builder entry level airplane/gliders.

-Nacho

With the way the prop is attached, I wouldn't even taxi down the runway with that engine. The thrust bearings in a VW motor are not designed with a propeller in mind. Remember, you are pulling all of the thrust created by the propeller against a magnesium engine case. Most home builders use a reduction unit of some kind, both to absorb the thrust load of the propeller and to lower the propeller speed to something that won't have the prop close to supersonic. 3K is about max speed for most fixed pitch propellers.

Looking at that picture, I guestimate the prop to have a 30 inch radius. So doing the math, the prop tips are moving at 536 mph at 3000 RPM. AT 5500 RPM (about redline in a VW pushrod engine), the prop tips would be at 767 mph, or Mach 1.2. It definitely needs a reduction drive to use it in an airplane.

Clay
SO.O.C914er
It just reeks of crazy WTF.gif chair.gif
bkrantz
Now that's air cooling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.