Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Questions.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
broomhandle
Hello All,

I have had a project 914 since 2009. I have a hard full of 1.7's and 2.0's, I feel I am tired of these.. plus.. the 901 I feel is the downside... from my past ownership of a 914. I have decided to go subaru. On this forum. I see so many, some go 2.0, some go 2.5? Turbo?

I am unsure of what combo to look for. It sounds like Turbo motors, need turbo 5spds. which are very hard to find. So is naturally aspirated jus fine? I would think so.

I have gotten prices of a non turbo 2.5 from 2005sih at 1500.00... ugh.

Do there majority of the sub motors mount to the transaxles? Or anybody in California want to sell a motor/trans? smile.gif

I would love a turbo, but I think I am ok with a non turbo...

any help? Thoughts?
rhodyguy
If a NA 2.5 will push a legacy wagon, it will push a 914.
pploco
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Aug 24 2020, 02:26 PM) *

Hello All,

I have had a project 914 since 2009. I have a hard full of 1.7's and 2.0's, I feel I am tired of these.. plus.. the 901 I feel is the downside... from my past ownership of a 914. I have decided to go subaru. On this forum. I see so many, some go 2.0, some go 2.5? Turbo?

I am unsure of what combo to look for. It sounds like Turbo motors, need turbo 5spds. which are very hard to find. So is naturally aspirated jus fine? I would think so.

Do there majority of the sub motors mount to the transaxles? Or anybody in California want to sell a motor/trans? smile.gif

any help? Thoughts?

Turbo motors don't necessarily need turbo 5 speeds. For the most part subi motor's and transmissions are interchangeable. You do have to make sure the clutch matches the transmission - so for example a pull-type WRX transmission will need a pull type clutch. But even that can be converted. I always lean toward a turbo smile.gif
lierofox
I went with an EJ20K (2.0L Turbo from a 1998 JDM Subaru STi) and paired it with the stock side-shifter that was in the car already, I went through an adapter plate made by Kennedy and the transmission bolted right up without issue, though I had to make my own crossmember to mount the engine.

My setup ranks at about a 7/10 on the jank factor, due to having a less-than-ideal shop arrangement while building it (drama that I don't really want to get too much into) but so far over the last few years I've had decent luck pairing the Subaru turbo engine with the stock 901 transmission, save for a heavy clutch pedal due to the extra grippy pressure plate I got. If you don't dial up a turbo Subaru engine much above stock (220-280ish HP), the 901 will, albeit begrudgingly, handle the power.

Renegade Hybrids makes a full cradle for mounting the engine and transmission, as well as an adapter plate, they're a more expensive but a much more turn-key solution.

The 5MT Subaru transmission can be used if you convert it to 2WD. There's pre-made setups available for doing that, along with instructions for converting it yourself, as well as converting the shifter mechanism over to a cable shifter using a bellcrank mechanism, and adapting the inboard CVs over to adapt to the Subaru output flanges. In terms of Turbo vs NA transmissions, not much difference other than what kinda clutch they use (pull for Turbo, push for NA) and I believe some subtle differences in the gear ratios.

As far as turbo vs non-turbo on the engine itself, just about anything modern will have more get-up-and-go compared to any Type IV engine. That said the turbo EJ engines tended to have lower compression ratios (somewhere around the low 8:1 range) to compensate for the boost pressures they ran, 12-18psi depending on the car and how it's set up. 8:1 in a 2 liter engine is pretty abysmal below 3k rpm, but after that the turbo spooling up is like you're pulling back a slingshot. Once it starts making boost, you're at 7k (or 8k in the STi) RPM before you know what's happening. That said I've never experienced an NA Subaru engine in a 914, I only know what my EJ20K feels like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58YY_S53gyE
mjrrti
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Aug 24 2020, 01:26 PM) *

Hello All,

any help? Thoughts?

I put a NA 2.2 from a Legacy wagon parts car with a Kennedy adapter plate mounted to my stock sideshift in my car about 6 years ago. The Subaru radiator fit in the front like it was made for it--I ran 1 1/2" steel lines under the car to the radiator, made my own engine mount/crossmember and use a link ECU to run the engine. I agree that the tranny is the weak link in my setup but it has been trouble free for 6 years. ( I kick myself for not keeping that tranny from the Suby) I get 22-23 mpg and the car will run 90 all day and never miss a beat or get hot. More power is always great but I am completely happy with the way my car runs and drives. I am not a Subaru expert but a lot of people say that the 2.2 is bulletproof and does not have the head gasket issues that the 2.5 has. I am also running a stock clutch and pressure plate that were used when I dug them out of my parts pile and I have not had issues there either. The one thing I would do different is use a stock ECU. With O2 sensors and computer controlled adjustments I bet my mpg would improve and I bet it would run even better. When I added AC to my car it would have been nice to have the ability to have the idle air control work, the Link ECU will not control it so I had to get creative for higher idle when AC is on. It would also be nice to have on cold mornings for better starts and engine warmup. I am in So. Cal and would be happy to let you see my car anytime. Good luck with your project. driving.gif

Robarabian
I have a Broomhandle too in addition to an EJ 20 powered turbo car. Mine was built by Renegade and is a well done example. The turbo power is quite amazing (mine is only dyno'd at 225 right now) but @Jrust has one with even more power. He has the Subaru trans, and I run the 901. As long as you are gentle on first gear it is fine. It is not a burnout car and I have the tune set so the power is linear, not explosive. The car is fast.

It is currently getting a new intercooler setup from air to air to water cooled, and they will increase my tune a bit to around 250 and stop there. It gets amazing gas mileage and runs all day long any way I want it to. I agree with the other posters, try to use the factory computer. Mine is a factory computer and it seems to be pretty trouble free. Im in so cal, and if you ever come down, or I make it up to Petaluma for the next WCR you are welcome to look all you want.

QUOTE(broomhandle @ Aug 24 2020, 01:26 PM) *

Hello All,

any help? Thoughts?

broomhandle
I have heard the 2.2 is a bullet proof engine. I think it is just hard to find these motors.. I would like to get a turbo. I drive a e-golf. and I love that snap it has. Would like to have that in the 914. Sounds like a 2.0 turbo is the way to go. I am unsure if the 2.0 turbo is only the WRX. I will have to keep looking. smile.gif

and for the 901. I owned a 1970 for a long time, I can not stand that trans. I actually prefered the bug trannys. not a big fan of the dog leg. I feel the trans is the car, and would love to go with a modern. I think 5spds are hard to find. and unsure if they are all cable shift.
JRust
Go with an ez30 especially if you are doing normally aspirated. Turbo is great & I love mine. If I was starting fresh I would do the ez30. Great power & less things to deal with on install. There is a great suby thread here somewhere with all the options in it
808 WRX
It pretty much comes down to: how much horsepower are you looking for? Since you've driven some stock 914s, you know what 70-90 hp feels like...

A naturally aspirated 2.2L makes about 140 hp, a n/a 2.5L makes a little bit more...(165?)
A WRX motor makes about 225-265 hp
A 3.0L six cylinder makes about 240 hp.

If you're are on a budget, Pick n Pull has Subaru's... or check www.car-part.com

Most of the transmissions will work, there are lots of 5-speeds out there, doesn't have to be from a turbo car (WRX or Forester XT). I don't know if the WRX transmissions are stronger, although I would think that they would be.

Be sure to look at the final drive ratios. If it is out of a forester or legacy outback it will likely have numerically higher gear ratios and your rev's will be higher on the freeway sad.gif

If I didn't have a 2.2L Subby motor sitting in my garage I would be going for a 3.0L six wub.gif
broomhandle
Does anybody know what the 3.0L? what years? looks like there are a few:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_six-cylinder_engines

EZ30D mk I

2000–04 Outback H6
2000–03 Lancaster 6
2002–03 GT30
2002–03 RS30

217hp/213tq

that seams like a good route and probably cheaper than a WRX motor. I just thought a turbo would be nice. I might look for a 3.0 if I can find out where they come from.

and any 5spd would mount up? and is able for cable shift?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subar...ns#Five-speed_2
mgp4591
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Aug 25 2020, 11:27 AM) *

Does anybody know what the 3.0L? what years? looks like there are a few:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_six-cylinder_engines

EZ30D mk I 2000–04 Outback H6
2000–03 Lancaster 6
2002–03 GT30
2002–03 RS30

217hp/213tq

that seams like a good route and probably cheaper than a WRX motor. I just thought a turbo would be nice. I might look for a 3.0 if I can find out where they come from.

and any 5spd would mount up? and is able for cable shift?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subar...ns#Five-speed_2

Check out Kent's build in the Build Thread under 76-914, his screen name. He's using the EZ30, made his own cradle and shift linkage. There are others that have cradles for sale and just about any Subaru trans will fit but the WRX has a stronger trans. Go for the 3.9 ratio if you can - it gives you longer legs on the freeway. Kent's thread is very completed, the car is solid, and it's a great performer. So good in fact, he's building another one!
Chris914n6
Trans strength isn't a factor. We are 1000 lbs lighter and not AWD, we will never break one.

WRX has the tallest gearing. SUVs have lower 1st & 2nd ratios usually. Final is 4.111 or 3.9 or a 2 MY only 3.7. In reality it's only a few mph difference at redline.

There are a few trans code excel files floating around the net. There have been small improvements over the years, synchros & such, but it's all way better than a 914 box.

The Subaru 6 feels like a Porsche 6, kinda dull on the low end but takes off on the high end. I notice it because my Nissan 6 (Maxima) has more low end torque but dives hard near redline.

So I'm in the -6 camp too. The turbos add a bunch of complications that are only justified if you want V8 speed without the weight.
broomhandle
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 25 2020, 03:18 PM) *

Trans strength isn't a factor. We are 1000 lbs lighter and not AWD, we will never break one.

WRX has the tallest gearing. SUVs have lower 1st & 2nd ratios usually. Final is 4.111 or 3.9 or a 2 MY only 3.7. In reality it's only a few mph difference at redline.

There are a few trans code excel files floating around the net. There have been small improvements over the years, synchros & such, but it's all way better than a 914 box.

The Subaru 6 feels like a Porsche 6, kinda dull on the low end but takes off on the high end. I notice it because my Nissan 6 (Maxima) has more low end torque but dives hard near redline.

So I'm in the -6 camp too. The turbos add a bunch of complications that are only justified if you want V8 speed without the weight.

I like the low end. I drive a e-golf. I like that instant go. I will never use top end. 0-60 is my game. So, you guys think its better to go 3.0 vrs a NA 2.5 or 2.0?

and does anybody know which 3.0? looks like the ez30 was made 2001-09. but unsure in which. Outback H6? Tribeca?
914forme
Maybe if you want grunt you should dare I say, look at a Tesla swap. if your game is 0-60 that is about the best 0-60 your going to get in a 914., or 911, Karmann Ghia, Bug, etc.... Hard to beat electric off the line.
broomhandle
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 25 2020, 06:28 PM) *

Maybe if you want grunt you should dare I say, look at a Tesla swap. if your game is 0-60 that is about the best 0-60 your going to get in a 914., or 911, Karmann Ghia, Bug, etc.... Hard to beat electric off the line.

I owned a 1.8/1970 and this 1971 at the same time for the longest time. This 71 I got as a roller. I started to convert it to EV back in the day. (sold all ev parts in 2017) I have had 2 e-golfs which I love. I thought about a tesla swap. I have been driving EV's since 2016. I miss that engine behind my back. And the sound of internal combustion. I just want to build something fun. but a lot faster than my 1.8, and something that shifts better than the 901. smile.gif
rhodyguy
My experience with the 2.5 Legacy was short lived. I loved the car. Apparently there can be problems with the valve guides working their way out and holding valves open. I got fault codes. MAJOR! A JDM was going to need belt replacement, at a minimum, before the replacement. The 'fix' would cost more than the car was worth. Bye, bye Legacy.
VaccaRabite
Use the NA 6 for the low end power. Turbos need RPM to make power.

That said the power of a tuned WRX on the freeway is fantastic. I had my FA2.0DIT tuned to 310 at the wheels and it just WENT!

Zach
914forme
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Aug 26 2020, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 25 2020, 06:28 PM) *

I owned a 1.8/1970 and this 1971 at the same time for the longest time. This 71 I got as a roller. I started to convert it to EV back in the day. (sold all ev parts in 2017) I have had 2 e-golfs which I love. I thought about a tesla swap. I have been driving EV's since 2016. I miss that engine behind my back. And the sound of internal combustion. I just want to build something fun. but a lot faster than my 1.8, and something that shifts better than the 901. smile.gif

Super easy then get ahold of Kent @76-914 , don't tell him, but he is a great guy and willing to help. He has done one, many miles and is doing one right now. Can give you all the trails and tribulations of the 3.0 build. has two great threads going on right now. His original and latest.

If you want to go wild I would say go 3.3 EG, as it can be made to handle the HP with a couple of turbos.

Do the 3.0L build and don't look back, if it is only on the street it will provide plenty of smiles for the miles.
Chris914n6
You might want the 3.5L. Problem is it's newer and will need an aftermarket ECU, and I've only heard of 1 build and it's stalled. The ez30 will be alot easier.

Kent should be at the WCR20 and is open to letting just about anyone drive his car smile.gif if you can wait til Nov 5. Also likely a 2.5T.

How quick do you want to be? 200hp is 60 under 6, 300hp is under 5 but you will need fatter tires.
broomhandle
thanks guys, I have reached out to 76-914.

as for fast. our stock 914s with a 1.8 is what, 10 seconds? I had some much fun with that car. I love it as stock.(but I knew a stock civic would blow me away). I just want more power off the line. I am not building a track car. I think I want the 3.0. I just need to figure out which 3.0, or if it matters. and finish my shopping list.. and sell off my pile of 1.7's and 2.0 blocks. haha
pploco
The USDM STI 2.5 has the best of both worlds - low end grunt and high rev.
Literati914
QUOTE(pploco @ Sep 1 2020, 02:00 PM) *

Would that be an EJ20 X ?
I see one local with dual ACVS (what’s that?)
lierofox
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 1 2020, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(pploco @ Sep 1 2020, 02:00 PM) *

Would that be an EJ20 X ?
I see one local with dual ACVS (what’s that?)

The 2.5L's are the ones that start with EJ25. For example EJ255 would be a WRX engine, EJ257 is an STI engine.

AVCS is a variable ECU-controlled cam phasing system, adjusting the timing of the camshafts relative to the crankshaft depending on engine RPM, throttle position/load/power demands, etc. Dual AVCS means both the intake and exhaust cams have phasers on them.
pploco
AVCS makes a big difference in lower RPM torque. The turbo 2.5 with AVCS is a beast through the entire power curve. You can get the EJ257 in the STIs and Forrester XT.
partwerks
QUOTE(pploco @ Sep 8 2020, 08:55 AM) *

AVCS makes a big difference in lower RPM torque. The turbo 2.5 with AVCS is a beast through the entire power curve. You can get the EJ257 in the STIs and Forrester XT.

Is the Forrester XT version of the STI cheaper, but the same thing, sort of like the WRX trans vs Forrester trans?
partwerks
QUOTE(pploco @ Sep 8 2020, 08:55 AM) *

According to this article, the XT Forrester had the engine, but no, turbo, intercooler, or tune?
https://tuningpro.co/subaru-ej257-engine-pr...y-specs-tuning/

This one is telling a different story?
https://www.flatironstuning.com/blog/what-i...55-and-an-ej257
VaccaRabite
@broomhandle

What did you end up doing, if anything?

Zach
partwerks
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 25 2020, 02:18 PM) *

Was the 3.7 FD, only offered in the years 06-07, in a push style clutch?
AZBanks
The EJ251 in my son's 2003 Baja developed rod knock so I replaced it with a used JDM EJ253. Now I have an old EJ251 sitting in my garage taking up space.

When I found out his engine was knocking, I considered doing a rebuild. Rebuild kits run anywhere from around $400 to $1600 with some decent kits around $600. I could have a freshly rebuilt EJ251 for around $1000.

Decisions, decisions. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.