Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Lug bolts for Fuchs wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesJ
I recently inquired at my local Porsche dealer regarding 914 lug bolts for my factory Fuchs wheels. They ordered one and took these photos for me. These appear to have the original 19mm heads, but they are not chromed or plated.
They are twice the price of Auto Atlanta's lug bolts, which are 17mm, chrome plated, but I believe do not have the unthreaded area below the bolt head as does the factory bolt(AA website photo angle makes it difficult to tell, but it looks to be threaded all the way up to the shoulder). Does anyone know if the alloys are the same on both types of lug bolts? Any experience or thoughts with either one regarding quality, fitment, or looks or what the original factory finish was on these? Thanks.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bdstone914
The factory are cad plated. The aftermarket with full threads will carve up the holes in the wheels. I prefer the 19mm heads. I have bought aftermarket lug bolts that are made correctly with a 19mm head. They were chrome plated.
JamesJ
Thanks! Can you tell me where you purchased the aftermarket lug bolts with the correct head?
Root_Werks
If you can find them, I used lug bolts off any early Boxster. Work very well and have the acorn washer so your wheels don't get chewed up.
JamesJ
These ones?
Click to view attachment
Jett
(not for sale) but recently bought a lot of NOS 19MM lugs and they are chrome tipped from the factory. I had a set that we chromed the tips, but was very expensive ~200 just for the chroming.

Here is a pic of the NOS 19MM bolts.

Btw. The 73 toolkit has 19MM socket but both of my 75 tool kits have 17MM heads.
JamesJ
Nice purchase. That is interesting about the tool kit sockets being different.
I could also consider purchasing the 17mm AA lug bolts and file the threaded area below the shoulder if I don't mind the smaller bolt head. Thanks for the feedback.
Jett
QUOTE(JamesJ @ Sep 2 2020, 02:36 PM) *

Nice purchase. That is interesting about the tool kit sockets being different.
I could also consider purchasing the 17mm AA lug bolts and file the threaded area below the shoulder if I don't mind the smaller bolt head. Thanks for the feedback.

Makes sense.

Can anyone confirm the toolkit differences?
Jett
QUOTE(JamesJ @ Sep 2 2020, 01:38 PM) *

Have you looked at Sunset?

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-part...rew-91436131502
914Sixer
Here you go. 17mm head 40mm length. M14x1.5 Same as AA bolts, with 4 spares. Click to open screen shot.
mepstein
I have a set of 16 real oem ones. 19mm and perfect fit. Light rust on the head that will come off easily. $160 + 8 priority ship. Email me if you’d like to buy. Mark@MarkEpstein.net
@JamesJ
davep
Mark's original bolt, as pictured, is the same as the original sets that I have. Just a short unthreaded portion. The new bolt in the first post appears to have what might be the correct cadmium plating. They were never chrome plated on the original cars.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 2 2020, 06:26 PM) *

Here you go. 17mm head 40mm length. M14x1.5 Same as AA bolts, with 4 spares. Click to open screen shot.

I like these and the 17mm heads. Nice to be able to remove with a socket and not worry so much about chewing up the rims.
burton73
I had these for my 76 that I sold. If you want bling

Volvo part $34. Or some cheaper ones on Amazon

Bob B
Click to view attachment
JamesJ
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
@bdstone914 - do you remember where you purchased them?
@root_werks - the early Boxster lug bolts have a dip at the top, and I am looking for a factory look, but appreciate it. Certainly an inexpensive option.
@Jett - that is a good price at Sunset Porsche compared to most dealers. I actually can get them for $18.01 from a local dealer
@914sixer - at less than $1/each from eBay it wouldn't hurt to have a set of these
@davep - yes, the pics I posted initially may be CAD plated, but if so it was a poor job from the factory or perhaps they get beat up during shipping. Not a good look if you have a restored wheel
@mepstein - thanks for the offer. My originals look similar, but I thought a new set from the dealer would look better than the photos they provided in my initial post
@burton73 - not a bad price for caps, but am looking for a nice bolt in either chrome or CAD plated

I found these from Mid America Motorworks, but with a 24mm thread length, they may not be long enough. Has anyone tried these?
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
The last post has INCORRECT LUGS. Bolt has to be BALL SEAT not 60 degree for factory wheels.
JamesJ
Good catch! Thanks Mark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.