Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Install Question on the Brad Mayeur external kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ri914
Hello 914ers,

I am finishing up some metal work today and am going to tackle Brads 914ltd external reinforcement kit. I have a few questions though....

1: Is it better to install this with the engine in our out?

2: Is it better to weld this in on a lift or on the ground?

I imagine the answer is a combo of the 2 questions above. Since part of the install is to remove the bolts on the trailing arm I though it better to see what the experts thought first.

thank you

Ben-

Click to view attachment lift point for kit

Click to view attachmenttrailing arm bolts
IronHillRestorations
You don’t have to remove the engine but you have to take off the outer trailing arm mount as the stiffener is your first alignment shim.

I’d do it on a lift, as long as your measurements are on the money.

I’ve installed a few of these. I’ve got a set of Jorgensen Mastadon jaws for a bar clamp, which is very helpful. I also cut some small “windows “ in the sills, above each of the vertical ribs on the factory longs, so I can weld a bead there too.

Longitudinal stiffener thread. See post # 26
ri914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 19 2020, 05:34 PM) *

You don’t have to remove the engine but you have to take off the outer trailing arm mount as the stiffener is your first alignment shim.

I’d do it on a lift, as long as your measurements are on the money.

I’ve installed a few of these. I’ve got a set of Jorgensen Mastadon jaws for a bar clamp, which is very helpful. I also cut some small “windows “ in the sills, above each of the vertical ribs on the factory longs, so I can weld a bead there too.

Longitudinal stiffener thread. See post # 26

Perry thank you so much. This is very helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.