Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have this dogtooth removal tool?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
dogtooth removal tool for a 901.

anyone have one they could lend me (id pay shipping and give you some collateral)

user posted image
Joe Ricard
When I removed my synchros I just used a BIG ASS pair of retaining ring pliers. $10.00 at any tool store.
I don't understand how the tool you have pictured works. Isn't that for taking the dog teeth off the gear. of something like that.
Aaron Cox
thats what i meant, dogteeth...post edited
TimT
grasshopper, you can use an appropriate sized socket, and a vise

if the dog teeth are toast, which I think they are, clamp the gear/dogteeth and socket in a vise, use a freshly dressed cold chisel, and start to drive the dog teeth off, rotate the gear, repeat...
DNHunt
Just like Tim I used a sharp chisel to persuade the dogteeth. Not too different from wisdom teeth.biggrin.gif Come to think about it I probably could have found something on the oral surgery tray that would have worked.

Just work slow and easy and use something to protect the gear (wood or rubber).

Dave
rick 918-S
If you have to wreck it to remove it How do you install one? Can you freeze the gear and then heat the dog tooth thing what ever it is?

What the heck is it anyway?!?!
TimT
Cold gear, hot dog ring

Place hot dog ring on cold gear, quickly press together in vise,

Place gear on sturdy surface ( I have an anvil in my garage, along with a 40 lb square block of lead) take a brass drift and tap all around the dog ring to make sure its seated..

Sometimes when the planets align, the dog ring just slips on real nice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.