Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of a 3.6 in a '76 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rd914
I know there are folks in this club that have done it and was wondering if it can still pass smog and if all the smog related equipment fit in the engine bay. I am thinking of putting a bone stock 3.6 and need to start collecting conversion parts.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
eeyore
Call any local place -- Dieter's, Black Forest, Personalized Autohaus (Wayne Baker)

Don't know what kind of FI would be on the bone stock 3.6.

Apparently it is getting to the point that most every CIS equipped 911 needs new catalytic converters on to get them through smog check. Motronic is your friend.

(Why don't you go to the Dr Evil farewell party at the San Diego Brewing Co?)
Joe Bob
Won't happen....best to go and do it with a 75 or earlier tub. You need EVERYTHING from the 3.6 which includes the CAT, the gauges and idjut lights.
lapuwali
It could happen, but you'd have to do some custom engineering to make it happen. First, you'd need to use a pre-96 (OBD-II) 3.6, so '89-'95, and earlier would be better, as the EFI electronics will be simpler. This should remove the need for the gauges and whatnot, but expect to do quite a bit of custom wiring, anyway.

You'll need to fab up a complete, custom exhaust to get a 914/6 like header with a pair of small cats or one bigger cat plumbed in. This isn't all that expensive in mild steel. I've had complete systems fabbed up in the last 5 years for under $500, including a cat. You'd need to work out the vapor recovery system (has to be from the 3.6 engine), too.

Then, you'd get the whole thing signed off by a referee station, with some special paperwork indicating you'd now have a 914 complying with '89 (or later) smog regs.

This all would likely be hard enough and expensive enough that buying and restoring another, earlier, tub would be worthwhile, unless your existing car is "perfect".
rd914
Thank you all for the advise. Maybe I will just keep what I have in it for now. Who knows, smog laws may change next year.
redshift
Uhh... with the considerable expense involved in a 3.6, you'd be WAY better off buying another VIN.

huh.gif

M
pete-stevers
you really want to do a conversion? Eh? idea.gif
steve
Grimstead
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 13 2005, 03:58 PM)
Uhh... with the considerable expense involved in a 3.6, you'd be WAY better off buying another VIN.

huh.gif

M

agree.gif
Find one off a 75...
xitspd
Go with a 75 or older 914 and do not smog it!
Maltese Falcon
Since Cali law AB2683 went into effect 04-01-04, are the first 3 registered months (01/ 02/ 03) of '76 cars exempt ?? Didn't someone here try this with Sacramento DMV ??
I've got a Feb. registered '76 that I may convert , currently has a busted 2.0 in it mad.gif
MF
nine14cats
It was me who talked with the referees.

Check this link out:

Smog Info for Conversions

I gave up on my 1976 rust free car and bought JLO. It actually worked out well for me, but the whole smog thing is a can of worms.

Good Luck!

Bill P.
Maltese Falcon
Thx. Bill...maybe us Californians would have been luckier with Angelene as our Governor- -pink corvettes wub.gif
redshift
laugh.gif Martin!

I want billboards with my milky ass in a pink bikini.

M
RON S.
You can do it, welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Join that little club$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. biggrin.gif

Ron

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.