Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing clutch and accelerator cable at the same time?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hope everybody’s having a good weekend so far, the Fresno 914 needs a new clutch and accelerator cable, and I’m wondering if I can do these at the same time to avoid them getting tangled up? Could I use something like painters tape on the most forward part where they eventually need the pedal assembly to make it easier to thread them through the tunnel?

I did some searching and I found people talking about one or the other, but didn’t see anything about doing both at the same time.

Thanks!
ndfrigi
Hi Tom, you can insert them at the same time from the rear firewall. And you just need to check both cables from the front tunnel that they are not tangled before attaching them to the pedal. You can use ur celfon camera to look inside from the front (firewall) access.
cary
Let'r rip ..............
Key is attach one solid. Then with a mirror make sure the loose one isn't wrapped around the other before you attach it.
Setting up the mirror and the lighting is the hardest part.
cary
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's a couple shots from @warpig (s) tunnel on Friday, if that helps.
Upper tube is the accelerator cable. Broken tube is clutch tube.
So I'd install the accelerator cable first. Then the clutch cable, trying to keep it
down on the tunnel floor. Should keep it from getting wrapped up.

My .02c after 3rd cup of coffee.
#MiddleMotors

Ansbacher
I just recently did both of my cables. I stressed and stressed after reading horror stories about the tangling hazards of this job, only to find out both cables slid in perfectly with no resistance or snags. A lot of worry over nothing.

Ansbacher
Tdskip
My goodness you all are helpful - thanks!

Will tackle this tomorrow.
Craigers17
Each cable runs through its own tube, so they can't even cross until they exit their respective tubes, which is only about a foot from your access panel at the very front. As stated, you can snap a pic with your cell phone and make sure they are parallel and not crossed.

I'll let others chime in to correct me if there is a better way, but you will have to feed the clutch cable(fat black end) back through the engine bar hole first past the cylindrical grommet attached to it, then push the front of the cable into the tube. This will hopefully make sense and is probably obvious to most.

This is because the cable housing fitting that mates to the end of the clutch tube itself won't fit through the engine bar hole. Simply put, you can't just thread the front end through the bar and into the tube as might be your first inclination. I attached a another pic of the inside front of the tunnel for viewing pleasure. Sorry if the pic ends up sideways.

Click to view attachment

...couple more pics of where the clutch cable goes thru the bar and mates up with the tube...excuse the tie wraps...they are currently "place holders" as I haven't hooked up the pulley end yet.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Sep 28 2020, 06:09 AM) *

I just recently did both of my cables. I stressed and stressed after reading horror stories about the tangling hazards of this job, only to find out both cables slid in perfectly with no resistance or snags. A lot of worry over nothing.

Ansbacher

agree.gif ,straight forward.
brcacti
Great information to know for future reference.
Tdskip
Any tips on getting the cable loose at the front tunnel?
cary
Pedal cluster out.
Cable ends have to come off.
Craigers17
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 4 2020, 12:12 PM) *

Any tips on getting the cable loose at the front tunnel?

As stated, unbolt cluster, pop off accelerator cable, then pull out slack on clutch cable so you can access/work on it. You will have to disconnect the clutch cable at the ass end FIRST, in order to get slack.
Tdskip
Thank you
Tdskip
Well that was interestingly difficult.

Cable came off easily once Noel and you all gave me some coaching but check out what happened to the tubes that the cables run through.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Toy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 7 2020, 10:31 AM) *

Cable came off easily once Noel and you all gave me some coaching but check out what happened to the tubes that the cables run through.

I see there is still a plastic (probably original) fuel line - serious fire potential. Most experienced advice is to replace them with stainless steel lines.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914Toy @ Oct 7 2020, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 7 2020, 10:31 AM) *

I see there is still a plastic (probably original) fuel line - serious fire potential. Most experienced advice is to replace them with stainless steel lines.

Thank you Keith, I put you that on the list. Appreciate the eyes on it.

Weird to think about how those tubes got bent - nothing else is out of place or damaged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.