Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Europa vs. 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbseto

There's some interesting discussion in the comments here on the Lotus Europa ve. the 914. Oddly enough more than one opinion seems to be the Lotus is more fun but everyone would actually rather have a 914.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-lotu...opa-twin-cam-9/
Tdskip
A properly set up Europa is otherworldly, hard to explain just how dialed into your synapses it is.

It is a very different experience, addictive but in small doses. I decided an Elan was more livable and usable for regular use.

I'd take a healthy 914 over either to drive to San Francisco.

Thanks for the post.

horizontally-opposed
Europa makes a 914 feel like a Cadillac, in more ways than one.

I dig 'em, but have no desire to own one.
Tdskip
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 28 2020, 02:12 PM) *

Europa makes a 914 feel like a Cadillac, in more ways than one.

I dig 'em, but have no desire to own one.

Indeed a perfect car to borrow!
ctc911ctc
In 1973/74 I had a '70 Signal Orange 914 1.7

Another kid from another high school in town had a white Europa. Good guy, we used to swap cars.

I was intrigued and clicked on BAT, wow same car (looks like it anyway) and same region. We lived in Glenview Il.

Could be the same car? Regardless, very nice memories.
Superhawk996
If only they weren't so Fugly.

I know . . . coming from someone that thinks 914's look good. unsure.gif Go figure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
poorsche914
I owned both a '74 Twin Cam Special w/5-speed and a '73 914 2.0 back in the '80s.

The 914 was in much better condition and had "performance" mods done to it whereas the Europa was pretty much a beater at something like 32k miles. The Europa was certainly a blast to drive but I always preferred the 914.

driving.gif
second wind
How do I put this without sounding too biased.....Porsche 914's RULE!!! I have had them since age 19 and now 65....drove Denver-LA-Denver-LA many many times. The 914 is just so stable on the road it feels like a bigger car....very comfortable hugging the road and just a superior feel on the road IMHO. Very precise hug on the road. All those other cars....never in a Europa but TR-6, Jaguar, other English and other two seaters.....they just don't have the solid rigid road glue feel of a 914. Even 911's are nice but.....we all just happen to own one of the best cars ever made. Plus you high horsepower guys can back it up even more than just us little 125 hp guys. When I first got back in the club after my first car being a 914/6 and then getting a 2.0 40 years later I couldn't figure out why all the guys had 3.2's in their 914s? Isn't the stock 2.0 good enough? Was for me and my car would go coast to coast at 100 mph no problem. Anyway now a bit wiser and yes more horsepower is more fun...ok I get it....no offense to all the other makes but this is a 914 forum and I am a 914 guy....so there !
gg
bkrantz
Like any Lotus, if you are much taller than around 5'-8", and much heavier than, say, 140, you will not fit comfortably, if at all.
second wind
6'4"...235....plenty of room in my baby....
gg
Biggles
I had a rare Lotus Banks Europa before I got my 914-6. Much more light and agile car at only 730kg vs 1050kg for the 914. Had a 180bhp twin cam engine with better independent rear end, but was basically a go kart for the road. No luggage space wind down windows etc but more engaging to drive than the 914. However 914 is more liveable / useable for trips. Clearly I'm getting old!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.