Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting my engine on a stand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
malcolm2
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 11 2020, 08:49 AM) *

Linkage bushing - Check your local hardware store's supplies of plastic bushings. You'll probably find something that works. It doesn't need to be perfect or exactly like the other at this point.

When I took it all apart, I noticed that there was a spring in the bushing on one side. Will the other side need a spring?

The 2nd bushing was there, it has just pushed into the cup. But it is in bad shape.
Gint
Not necessarily. The entire thing operates as a unit, so one spring should be fine as long as it provides enough tension.

Yes, you can adjust that linkage. That's the one good thing about the cross bar linkage. The fact that it has to be done is another opinion.
Superhawk996
Great Job! piratenanner.gif

Love the cacophony of an aircooled motor on carbs!

jtprettyman
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 11 2020, 01:19 PM) *

Linkage is still wacky, but I got it DONE. 1.8 liter out of a 914, converted to a 2.0 liter, with Camper Special Heads, swivel foot adjusters, solid rocker spacers, chromoly push rods, 9550 cam, flamer thrower 3 module and coil, Stock exhaust, dished bus pistons, 7.4 CR for my VW BUS, borrowed weber 40s ( IIRC ) for break-in.

Some may remember my 1911 for my 914.... I screwed that up for sure. Miss-indexed the cam and the crank.... blink.gif never started, had to crack it open and there is was. That one has 50,000 miles on it now. driving-girl.gif

Thanks to all that got me this far and thru that mess.

here is the finished product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpr5DZUQ4pM

https://youtu.be/bpr5DZUQ4pM

@malcolm2 - Those were 44's. Sounds great, very nice grumble to it. sunglasses.gif
IronHillRestorations
I've seen it with springs on both sides, and single. You are on the right track, getting spacing and geometry the same on both sides.

On a couple 6 conversions, I've had to slot some of the mounting holes on the bracket. and/or bend the brackets to help alignment.

If you have to "cheat" and slide the brackets on the crossbar, do your best to get idle stop position and wide open throttle the same on both sides.

This is where I think the round crossbar type is better, because the linkage arms can be clamped at any position.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.