Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Key Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Can a 'Red" 914 key blank be cut as a regular ignition key like a "Black" key? In other words, are the blanks the same other than the color of the plastic grip? I do understand that "Red" keys are usually cut as valet keys. I just like the looks of a red key and would like to have one that starts the car and opens everything.

Ansbacher
bbrock
The red key gets cut the same as the black key and will work in the ignition, but it will always be a valet key. The valet part is in the profile of the shank.
Ansbacher
Thanks, bbrock. As long as it starts the car, I can live with that.

Ansbacher
bbrock
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 2 2020, 05:47 PM) *

Thanks, bbrock. As long as it starts the car, I can live with that.

Ansbacher

It should start the car and unlock the doors but not the trunks or glove box. My first 914 came with only the red key and I never knew why I couldn't lock the trunks or glove box until long that car was gone. biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
The keys are the same except the valet key has an extra groove for the special notched wafer. Change that wafer, and valet key works all locks.
Ansbacher
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 3 2020, 10:40 AM) *

The keys are the same except the valet key has an extra groove for the special notched wafer. Change that wafer, and valet key works all locks.

Where is this "wafer" and how do you change it?

Ansbacher
bbrock
This should answer all. Just pull those valet wafers out of the appropriate locks and your red key will open everything. http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php
TheCabinetmaker
You need to replace the wafer, not just take it out. Might cause play and unnecessary wear on the key
ClayPerrine
With (at the time) 2 914s, we wanted the keys to be easily identified. So when I built my car, I had the local locksmith key all of the locks to work with a brand new Red key I already had. Now with 3 914s, that idea doesn't really work any more. But my red 914 still has a red key. piratenanner.gif

Betty took a metal key and painted it blue with nail polish for Elwood.

I have a separate key ring for each 914.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.