Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Strut Top Mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wysri9
My new front strut insert came with a Nylock nut for the top mounting. The old insert had the large support washer with tab, a small tab washer (which was bent up to prevent rotation of the nut, and a plain threaded 14 x 1.5 nut - no Nylock.

So what is the collected wisdom.....nylock yes or no, and with or without small tab washer?? One of these went on fine with both the large support washer and the small tab washer, but the second one has now twice refused to make up chewing up the small tab washer twice and the large support washer once. headbang.gif Seems excessive torque is getriiing into the washers......Is it just a lubrication issue...??

Any guidance much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

S
914Sixer
I am a fan of the tab washer. They are cheaply made and can easily be filed on. I like the old factory way. Maybe a dab of anti-seize. I am still out about nylock nuts. They scare me on tie rod ends.
wysri9
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 7 2020, 05:02 AM) *

I am a fan of the tab washer. They are cheaply made and can easily be filed on. I like the old factory way. Maybe a dab of anti-seize. I am still out about nylock nuts. They scare me on tie rod ends.

Thats the way I was erring - I'll go with that!

Thx for response! beerchug.gif

S
IronHillRestorations
I do both, nyloc and tab washer
Krieger
On my race car I mark many of the nuts position with either a sharpie or a dab of white out where the threads meet the nut. Check these marks from time to time to develop confidence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.