Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's Hiding Under Relay Board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Cleaning up another round of relay boards. This one looked clean but this is what I found. Some of that nasty green stuff that goes after copper.
seanpaulmc
What do you clean them up with before resealing?
914Sixer
Putty knife, small screw driver and 1 hr of picking, then a bath of lemon juice. Stiff bristle bush to go over the copper tracks with the lemon juice. You may have to go over them several times to clean corrosion.
VaccaRabite
Are you re-potting or pouring in epoxy resin?

Zach
76-914
Any acid used, even Lemon juice, needs to be neutralized and thouroughly cleaned or the green will return with a vengeance. I wonder what those boards look like from the east coast area?
bob164
Whats the best way to neutralize the acid?
73-914
baking soda
bob164
Thanks
trojanhorsepower
So I am working on this now. I have read about people solder the joints before repotting. When I tried I had trouble not melting the plastic around the joint. Also I am having trouble getting the solder to stick. I am pretty familiar with solder in more normal electrical work, but this has me baffled. I have used all the flux I have and nothing seems to help.

Any tips?

Thanks

Peter
914Sixer
Not needed in my opinion. I have done close to 100 boards at this point. I have never found a problem with the joint. -6 boards are slightly different in that they did soldier the bottom in 4 places.
trojanhorsepower
Great,
Ill just repot it.

Thanks,

Peter
trojanhorsepower
So how bad an idea would it be to bead blast both sides of the board?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.