Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie checking in - 73 914 cache
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GGerg1186
I have been playing with VW Sandrails for about twenty years. Was setting up to build a mid-engine dual port rail this winter when I stumbled upon a type four 1.7L located twenty miles from my house. With the mid engine I wanted the engine cooling air inlet on the alternator pulley side. I contacted the seller and he asked me if I wanted the transaxle too.

The donor car was a 1973 914 setup for autocross with no title. I ended up with the engine, transaxle, rear brakes, shifter, starter, trailing arms, and all four tires for what I sold my old VW sand rail. (pictures attached) I know it's sacrilegious to part out a good car for a tube chassis rail but I am stoked!

I will be lurking about, there are a few widgets bolted to the 914 transaxle that I am curious what they are.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GGerg1186
Some quick questions:

I assume this is the transmission case breather?
Click to view attachment

Speedometer drive?
Click to view attachment

What is this white plastic wheel? I can't even guess...
Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
Yes, trans breather vent,
Yes, speedo drive,
Pulley is for the clutch cable to wrap around so a pull from the pedal assembly becomes a rearward pull on the throwout bearing arm to push the TO bearing forward.....got it??
GGerg1186
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Oct 6 2020, 08:43 PM) *

Pulley is for the clutch cable to wrap around so a pull from the pedal assembly becomes a rearward pull on the throwout bearing arm to push the TO bearing forward.....got it??

Well that would have taken me forever to figure out, fantastic, thank you! smilie_pokal.gif
Tdskip
Don't be shy, huge amount of knowledge here to be shared...
rhodyguy
Here is the breather orientation. Make sure the port on the vent is not plugged.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.