Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion shift rod guidance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
There has been a ton of threads recently on engine mounts, headera and shift linkages. I wanted to put some information here that others could benefit from. Now keep in mind I have used several different mounts over the years including Rich Johnson style, Naro setup, and the OEM style. My favorite is the OEM style because its very easy position and has a nice rubber cushion so very little vibration. It also allows for very little interaction with anything else. As you can tell I don't have my heat exchangers on but you can see from the picture how clean the area is... The shift rod can be basically made straight. I have a nice little fixture for making these . I enjoy the KISS method on the shift linkage and it works really well. If you position your engine at the correct stock height then this is a bolt in proposition which I think most like.. Well anyway a picture is worth a thousand words. Let me know if I can help answer anyones questions

@superhawk996 @tdskip and please share with anyone else at this stage. Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I agree with the KISS approach 100%. Ben are you going to put heat exchangers on your car? I know a guy who can hook you up with the best heat exchangers possible for a Six.... av-943.gif

I am dealing with my shifting issues right now. Don't get me wrong, my car shifts and drives great. I just think there is some room for improvement. So I ordered the Tangering Racing shift rod kit and I believe, after speaking with Chris, that will resolve my issues with the Renn Shifter. I will let you all know. beerchug.gif

mb911
Yup eventually I will put heat on.. My project really stalled this summer.
Tdskip
Thanks Ben, appreciate the coaching.
Superhawk996
aktion035.gif

Picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks for sharing that setup and the experience between various mounts you've used.

Sent my crank out to Ollies for grinding so progress toward a /6 conversion continues though very slowly. sad.gif

/6 Muffler arrived and looks great biggrin.gif

Parts accumulation to be continued . . . .
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 9 2020, 03:21 AM) *

aktion035.gif

Picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks for sharing that setup and the experience between various mounts you've used.

Sent my crank out to Ollies for grinding so progress toward a /6 conversion continues though very slowly. sad.gif

/6 Muffler arrived and looks great biggrin.gif

Parts accumulation to be continued . . . .

One more note adjusting valves is really the reason why folks want the swivel mount which I understand but honestly is everyone doing that once what every couple of years as most don't put the mileage in often enough to not think take the engine out for a new gasket, seal, fan belt, alternator, etc would happen every couple of years anyway.. .

Regardless the shift linkages don't need to be so complicated.
Cairo94507
That's actually not out of line for these cars. I think dropping the motor and tackling all of that on a stand is much easier than trying to do it in the car for sure. Great opportunity to do a detailed clean-up and tackle any annoying little leaks, etc.
maf914
Ben,

What type of paint, coating or finish do you have on that transmission case?
mb911
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 9 2020, 12:29 PM) *

Ben,

What type of paint, coating or finish do you have on that transmission case?

@maf914 cerakote
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.