Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Distributor options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
What dizzy do the V8 guys use, mechanical/vacuum advance, stock or after market. What do you recommend. I have an original HEI with vacuum advance. Motor is an early 1967 327/300 bored .030 over with rebuilt 461 double hump heads, Wieand intake and 750 Holley double pumper.

I'm sure everyone has an opinion, give them to me and I'll wade thru it and make a choice.
DBCooper
I'm putting in an Electromotive crank fire, but only because I don't want to cut the trunk for a distributor to clear. Stick with a vacuum advance unless your cam has so little vacuum signal (>290 degrees) that you have to go mechanical. If you have any reasonable vacuum signal you'll actually never need more than a stock GM HEI unit with good wires. They throw a LOT of spark. are cheap and easy.
skline
I run a Billet GM HEI unit on mine. Got it from Chevrolet Performance. It was around $100.00 and works great.
neo914-6
Bought an aftermarket performance with built in 50k coil HEI on eBay <$100, then a Accel set of HEI plugs which cost almost as much as the HEI...
marks914
Stock HEI, came with the $300.00 engine.

Mark
turbo914v8
Electromotive all the way. Thats what I am using too.
dwillouby
I am using a Mallory Unilite. It has the old style cap that takes up less space. Found it on ebay cheap.

David
smrz914
Accel 60kV coil, MSA 6A box, MSD Billet distributor that connects to the box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.