Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: remote starter switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hi all, how many of you have these button remote starter switches sold in many different forms? Do you carry them with you in the car? Do you recommend having one of these?
porschetub
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 10 2020, 11:51 AM) *

Hi all, how many of you have these button remote starter switches sold in many different forms? Do you carry them with you in the car? Do you recommend having one of these?

Hell yes, real handy,made my own using N/O push button switch 1.5 metres of wires and alligator clips on the ends,good for bumping the motor over for valve setting or testing starter ..other uses too.
Snap-on make a nice one or Harbour Freight should have a cheaper one and there's other brands.
jim_hoyland
Real easy to set up if you already have the hot start relay. I mounted a momentary switch in a small metal box that had a magnet attached to the back
Bottom. The switch is wired to the hot-start relay.
If the ignition switch fails, the switch starts the car.
brcacti
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 9 2020, 07:16 PM) *

Real easy to set up if you already have the hot start relay. I mounted a momentary switch in a small metal box that had a magnet attached to the back
Bottom. The switch is wired to the hot-start relay.
If the ignition switch fails, the switch starts the car.

Yes I have a hot start relay and at times if I get an intermittent crank I jump start the car with a screwdriver on the hot start relay below the engine cover. I was thinking which of these is best to jump start the car ??? both seem easy to use, the screwdriver MIGHT even be easier than hooking up the remote switch
Mark Henry
With my hot start ford solenoid not once have I needed a switch on any of my cars. smile.gif
That said I have a high end remote starter switch...length of wire with an alligator clip, my thumb and + power from where ever I can.
If the wire gets too hot I upgrade it with a pair of vicegrips. biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I like one in my engine bay. Helps to bump the engine over when needed.
brcacti
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 10 2020, 10:37 AM) *

I like one in my engine bay. Helps to bump the engine over when needed.

Do you keep it attached/hooked up all the time?
brcacti
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 10 2020, 07:06 AM) *

With my hot start ford solenoid not once have I needed a switch on any of my cars. smile.gif
That said I have a high end remote starter switch...length of wire with an alligator clip, my thumb and + power from where ever I can.

Hello Mark Henry, I have all white wires from my hot wire solenoid, I think 3 wires one to the battery, one to the starter and one going to body ground. How important is that solenoid to be grounded? Is your solenoid grounded to the body? if so should the ground be sanded to be sure the contact is good every decade?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 10 2020, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 10 2020, 07:06 AM) *

Hello Mark Henry, I have all white wires from my hot wire solenoid, I think 3 wires one to the battery, one to the starter and one going to body ground. How important is that solenoid to be grounded? Is your solenoid grounded to the body? if so should the ground be sanded to be sure the contact is good every decade?

The Ford solenoid the bracket is the ground for the solenoid and yes you should clean the starter mount bolt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.