Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New owner in UK
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neilbardsley
After some scum bag burnt my 912 in January. We have just book a73 1.7.

It has been a project that some else has been working on.

I'm based in the Midlands. I try to spanner my cars. I'm not an expert but I will have a go.

Here is the advert

https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67251

There are a couple of issues but the main ones are

- gear linkage needs adjusting. 1st is hard to get into.
From the previous owner

Gearbox - I have refreshed the gearbox oil, refreshed a lot of the linkage bushings etc, aswell as replacing the seals on the gearbox selector shaft. It
probably needs a few drives to optimise the coupling alignments.
I have also replaced the reverse switch pin which is a common fault, so reverse lights work correctly.

I've never tried adjusting linkage before. Is there a guide?

- the rear truck isn't sealing well. The back left and right covers are sitting too high and not sealing with the body. I tried adjusting the latch but didn't help? Any ideas?

- The Targa top at the rear on the drivers size is seating too high. This means there is a small gap between the window and seal. There is a pin that should be pulled down by a hoop from the latch but it isn't moving the top down much. It took quite a lot of work just to get it on

- I need to do a tune up as it's idling rough and not responsive. This is my first time without carbs and an injection system but I guess the basics are the same. Valve, points timing?

Thank you for any help

IPB Image
mepstein
welcome.png
Mikey914
welcome.png your in the right place.
Just start one project at a time and you'll get lots of help here.
Welcome
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
dt4
Hi Neil, I'm also on DDK
Tdskip
Welcome.

Searching like this on Google will give you lots of background “914world
.com how adjust shift linkage”. Drop the quotes.

Here is a tread to help you get started;

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=315953

You may also want to break your questions into individual topics.
Gint
Beautiful 914!

I added a picture to your post.

welcome.png

KSCarrera
Hi Neil, I wondered how long before you appeared over here on the forum! welcome.png
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(neilbardsley @ Oct 11 2020, 11:58 AM) *

After some scum bag burnt my 912 in January. We have just book a73 1.7.

It has been a project that some else has been working on.

I'm based in the Midlands. I try to spanner my cars. I'm not an expert but I will have a go.

Here is the advert

https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67251

There are a couple of issues but the main ones are

- gear linkage needs adjusting. 1st is hard to get into.
From the previous owner

Gearbox - I have refreshed the gearbox oil, refreshed a lot of the linkage bushings etc, aswell as replacing the seals on the gearbox selector shaft. It
probably needs a few drives to optimise the coupling alignments.
I have also replaced the reverse switch pin which is a common fault, so reverse lights work correctly.

I've never tried adjusting linkage before. Is there a guide?

- the rear truck isn't sealing well. The back left and right covers are sitting too high and not sealing with the body. I tried adjusting the latch but didn't help? Any ideas?

- The Targa top at the rear on the drivers size is seating too high. This means there is a small gap between the window and seal. There is a pin that should be pulled down by a hoop from the latch but it isn't moving the top down much. It took quite a lot of work just to get it on

- I need to do a tune up as it's idling rough and not responsive. This is my first time without carbs and an injection system but I guess the basics are the same. Valve, points timing?

Thank you for any help

IPB Image

As said, "you are in the right place" good luck navigating, I am still not there ! Nice Car you will enjoy driving it when it's sorted... Good Luck and Enjoy !
MM1
Welcome, Sir - and congratulations!
brcacti
welcome.png
Beautiful car and color, same color as mine except you have white porsche on side, mine is black.
Cairo94507
welcome.png

Great looking 914. Not a big list of items to work on. I am sure you will get her sorted in no time. beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
Looks like a lot of fun. Ask any questions. I don’t know the answers but someone here will.
Frankvw
welcome, great color.
Just wondering......Why a 914 and not again an 912 ?
wysri9
Welcome indeed to the wonderful 914 world. This forum will be your friend!

I am a lot closer to home than a lot of these guys - I am in Scotland. Do PM if you need anything - I have a few parts stashed away!

All the best and enjoy that car!

campbellcj
Welcome! I hope you enjoy getting her all sorted then driving lots welcome.png
ClayPerrine
welcome.png

Sorting the injection is not hard. D-Jet is a very primitive injection, and very simple in its operation. Like you said, do a tune up, and inspect every vacuum line and fitting. D-Jet is very sensitive to vacuum leaks. Check your fuel lines for age related cracking, especially the plastic ones in the tunnel. I highly recommend replacing the plastic lines with a set of the stainless steel lines sold by Tangerine racing. They are fairly easy to install, and you prevent future fires from broken fuel lines.

And don't be shy... ask questions of us. Some of us have been working on these cars for a long time (I am up to 34 years now). Someone on here should have an answer to your question.

And your car is beautiful. Post more pictures!!!!

Clay
anglophone1
Hi Neilster- see, the gang’s all here too! welcome.png
The only thing we’ve done to my “new” 914 So far is replace all the fuel lines - mostly for health reasons! dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.