Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 19K mile car, clutch noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DANNYMAC
Just drove my "new to me" 73 500 miles down the coast from San Rafael to Los Angeles, this car has 19050 original miles, well now 19588. There sis no record of the clutch ever being well anything, this is most likely the 1973 clutch. Does that material go bad over time ? Dry out ? I believe this is the longest trip this car has been driven since 2016. Around San Simeon depressing the clutch produced an odd sound, not a squeal, not a grind ? Throw Out Bering ? Old Clutch material ? Any Thoughts ? As long a I didn't touch the clutch, the more I drove her the better she ran, like a Swiss Watch ! or German watch biggrin.gif
914Sixer
Could be release bearing was a little stiff. May need a little exercise to loosen up. Not unusual for clutch disc to freeze to flywheel in wet climate but breaks loose easily. Keep an ear on it.
Bleyseng
Hopefully you changed all the rubber fuel lines so you don't catch fire from a fuel line leak
Cairo94507
I second the fuel line comment. Tangerine Racing sells the correct stainless steel fuel line kit to make the swap easier.

I would, if you haven't already, flush the brake fluid and bleed the system so you have all new brake fluid. That would be a perfect time to replace the soft rubber brake lines at the wheels. Those are typically the source of trouble when they are older.

I would drain and remove the fuel tank and have it boiled out and then flush the lines and replace the filter(s). Perfect time to replace all fuel lines.

Of course drain and replace transaxle oil. It goes w/o saying that if the car sat for several years one would want to change the engine oil and filter too.

You are probably all over all of that, but just thought better to be safe than sorry. Oh, and if you do not have a fire extinguisher in your car, you should buy and carry it always. I have a 10 pound extinguisher I keep in the frunk, just because. beerchug.gif
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 12 2020, 02:19 PM) *

I second the fuel line comment. Tangerine Racing sells the correct stainless steel fuel line kit to make the swap easier.

I would, if you haven't already, flush the brake fluid and bleed the system so you have all new brake fluid. That would be a perfect time to replace the soft rubber brake lines at the wheels. Those are typically the source of trouble when they are older.

I would drain and remove the fuel tank and have it boiled out and then flush the lines and replace the filter(s). Perfect time to replace all fuel lines.

Of course drain and replace transaxle oil. It goes w/o saying that if the car sat for several years one would want to change the engine oil and filter too.

You are probably all over all of that, but just thought better to be safe than sorry. Oh, and if you do not have a fire extinguisher in your car, you should buy and carry it always. I have a 10 pound extinguisher I keep in the frunk, just because. beerchug.gif

Yes ! Thanks Previous owner says and has receipts, fuel lines and brake lines replaced in 2016
Gint
Did you buy this car?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-42/

If the noise is heard when depressing the clutch pedal, it's probably the throw out bearing. Age is age and those bearings will dry out.
ejm
QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 12 2020, 03:34 PM) *

Yes ! Thanks Previous owner says and has receipts, fuel lines and brake lines replaced in 2016

Pics show the original plastic lines in the tunnel and engine shelf.

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 12 2020, 05:50 PM) *

Wow! Looking at the receipts that car was sold by Jones Porsche/Audi in Springfield, Mass. They went belly up in the late '70's and I later worked at the dealer that bought the franchises. I've got a "Porsche" sign from the Jones service dept hanging in my garage. Also one receipt says "ask for Rose Marie" who was most likely the same Rose Marie that came over to the new dealership from Jones.
IronHillRestorations
If your clutch is making a weird noise, it might need to be replaced. If it really and truly is an original low mileage car it still has a rubber hub clutch, that's probably going south.
mepstein

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 12 2020, 02:19 PM) *

Probably means the fuel lines in the engine bay but not the center tunnel. I'm a big believer in changing the center tunnel lines as well. Rubber and plastic don't get better with age.

rgalla9146
QUOTE(ejm @ Oct 12 2020, 06:32 PM) *

Pics show the original plastic lines in the tunnel and engine shelf.

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 12 2020, 05:50 PM) *

Wow! Looking at the receipts that car was sold by Jones Porsche/Audi in Springfield, Mass. They went belly up in the late '70's and I later worked at the dealer that bought the franchises. I've got a "Porsche" sign from the Jones service dept hanging in my garage. Also one receipt says "ask for Rose Marie" who was most likely the same Rose Marie that came over to the new dealership from Jones.

Ed good to see you in Stroudsburg
Pictures from a '73 2.0 I owned in 2014
Small world right ? do you recognise the salesmans name ?

Is the noise possibly coming from the tunnel ?
Could be a detached or breaking clutch tube. With the car not running, have someone push the clutch while you put your ear to the tunnel near the shifter.
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 12 2020, 04:50 PM) *

Did you buy this car?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-42/

If the noise is heard when depressing the clutch pedal, it's probably the throw out bearing. Age is age and those bearings will dry out.

Yes
porschetub
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 13 2020, 02:15 PM) *

If your clutch is making a weird noise, it might need to be replaced. If it really and truly is an original low mileage car it still has a rubber hub clutch, that's probably going south.

agree.gif ,never knew the original clutch disk was like this till a NOS one came up on Ebay a while back,kinda strange looking.
My experience with this type used on the 944 was that they tend to fail more than not,I still have used 944 one that is worn out but the rubber centre shows no deflection and in perfect condition, apparently that's fairly rare.
Would suggest the OP replace it with the current 6 spring type and check his thrust bearing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.