Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: At the Risk of Becoming "That Guy"...I have another question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
I recently replaced the pedal cluster and mc, so I figured I'd replace the clutch cable while the cluster was out. My question is what is the correct setup where the cable mates up with the clutch fork. I'm not sure my original setup was correct, so now I have the cable attached to the fork with the trunion, and then a nut, followed by a lock nut. No nuts before the fork/trunion as seen in the pic. Just want to make sure this is correct.

If not, can someone please advise on how many nuts, washers, lock nuts, etc. Thanks in advance.

Also, I installed a new roller, which I assume is suppose to roll. While the cable does travel around it and I can shift into all gears, the roller is now stationary....I can't really explain that one....any advice on that one would be appreciated as well.

EDIT/UPDATE: I just looked at my old roller and removed the center piece from it. I have a feeling that the roller I just installed didn't have this metal cylinder in it...so that solves the roller problem.(see 3rd pic)

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
That all looks pretty good. You are correct in that the metal bushing/sleeve needs to go in the hub of the pulley roller, otherwise you'll be torquing the nut on the roller instead of the bushing.

Do you have a tab washer bent around the roller bracket and into the hole on the back? That's what keeps the cable from coming off the bracket. Don't know if those are still available from Porsche

wndsrfr
You've got it right....no nut on the "roller" side of the trunnion. That looks like an OEM cable, nice work & yes, the "roller" will move freely with the center bushing in there....enjoy!
maf914
Per the Porsche 914 PET diagram the bushing or sleeve should be in the cable pulley, followed by the washer and lock nut as your photo shows. Polish the bushing so the pulley rotates freely.
Craigers17
Thanks for the replies and the information. I will polish up the bushing...I can't believe my dumb ass didn't look at the old roller as a reference..oh well...easy fix. Also, I did install the beer can pop top looking locking tab, but you just can't see it in the pic(I got mine from 914Rubber). Thanks again for the help!
Jett
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Oct 12 2020, 04:55 PM) *

Thanks for the replies and the information. I will polish up the bushing...I can't believe my dumb ass didn't look at the old roller as a reference..oh well...easy fix. Also, I did install the beer can pop top looking locking tab, but you just can't see it in the pic(I got mine from 914Rubber). Thanks again for the help!

Take lots of pictures before disassembly, you can always delete them later.
second wind
How funny is this......... I just washed my hands from the same job. Went to clean my lugs nuts with my new bench grinder wire wheel....took a look at the clutch roller wheel...it was wired in...went to 914 Rubber and bought the whole kit and kaboudle.....new roller was tight so I sanded it down a bit and rolls perfect. Terrycable looks to be extremely stout compared to others...like it....wish I could find a 7mm x 1.0 coupler nut/extension nut for adjustment screws but none to be found. Will buy some bicycle wrenches 11mm and grind them thin for ease of adjustment. Nice new cable with grease and proper cable holder part instead of wire....loving it!!
gg
Tdskip
@Craigers17 - no risk of being "that guy" because I have that role taken. Grin.

Ask away!

Robson51
I bought this just to do clutch adjustment-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791XJ76...=UTF8&psc=1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.