Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Super strange pop up headlight problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
betz
So I'm getting into the weeds on my 914 project and trying to get everything working that make a car a car before I decide it's worth it to start swapping the engine. You know, seat belts, headlights, mirrors, brakes. I don't wanna die here.

I start getting into the headlights, since they just flat out didn't work at all, and start with that pelican parts article about headlight motors. I jump the pins that are supposed to make the headlights cycle up and down... nothin. Next step it tells me to check the fuses. Alright. Well shoot there isn't even a fuse there. Pop that bad boy in and... yay? oh wait, what. This happens:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G3iazJWDv2keQbkt7

The obvious solution was new relays, so I ordered them and put them in but the new relays did nothing.

To describe the problem:

Headlight switch on, ignition on: Headlights stay up
Headlight switch off, ignition on: Headlights cycle up and down continuously
Headlight switch on, ignition off: Headlights will stay up
Headlight switch off, ignition off: headlights will retract nicely to the down position.

I figure it's probably something to do with the motor wiper thing I have vaguely heard about... if anyone can point me to some useful articles on troubleshooting or restoring that system, or any other way I can fix this it would be greatly appreciated.

Also worth mentioning, during this whole time the headlights have not illuminated. I ordered some new bulbs because they were cheap anyways, doubt that has anything to do with the issue, but who knows.

Any help appreciated!
r_towle
Headlight switch melted
betz
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 13 2020, 05:42 PM) *

Headlight switch melted

How do you figure?
altitude411

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=20605
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(betz @ Oct 13 2020, 07:04 PM) *

So I'm getting into the weeds on my 914 project and trying to get everything working that make a car a car before I decide it's worth it to start swapping the engine. You know, seat belts, headlights, mirrors, brakes. I don't wanna die here.

I start getting into the headlights, since they just flat out didn't work at all, and start with that pelican parts article about headlight motors. I jump the pins that are supposed to make the headlights cycle up and down... nothin. Next step it tells me to check the fuses. Alright. Well shoot there isn't even a fuse there. Pop that bad boy in and... yay? oh wait, what. This happens:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G3iazJWDv2keQbkt7

The obvious solution was new relays, so I ordered them and put them in but the new relays did nothing.

To describe the problem:

Headlight switch on, ignition on: Headlights stay up
I've seen this before, but can't remember what it was, what solved it ? Someone here will know
Headlight switch off, ignition on: Headlights cycle up and down continuously
Headlight switch on, ignition off: Headlights will stay up
Headlight switch off, ignition off: headlights will retract nicely to the down position.

I figure it's probably something to do with the motor wiper thing I have vaguely heard about... if anyone can point me to some useful articles on troubleshooting or restoring that system, or any other way I can fix this it would be greatly appreciated.

Also worth mentioning, during this whole time the headlights have not illuminated. I ordered some new bulbs because they were cheap anyways, doubt that has anything to do with the issue, but who knows.

Any help appreciated!

betz
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 13 2020, 05:57 PM) *

Thanks but I've seen this thread. Haven't looked at it since I tried the new relay though. I mean I'm just confused why it would be the switch... Something in the "headlight off" position of the switch is shorting out somewhere?
altitude411
maybe this?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=332753
betz
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 13 2020, 06:39 PM) *

Do you mean the high/low beam relay?

Well I figure if they're totally separate circuits then it's probably two separate issues. For now Im going to focus on the headlight motor. I guess I'm in the market for another switch now though haha. Seems to often be the problem.
altitude411
Two ways to fix a problem...

1) replace all parts involved
2) test/check then replace broken part

QUOTE (betz)
"if anyone can point me to some useful articles on troubleshooting or restoring that system, or any other way I can fix this it would be greatly appreciated."

The links show how to diagnose your problems, solution #2
Your credit card will handle solution #1

beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
My guess is the headlight switch as well.

Just remember, only replace one thing at a time.
The PO probably pulled the fuse to get the headlights to stop cycling after the switch failed.

Zach
betz
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 14 2020, 05:32 AM) *

Two ways to fix a problem...

1) replace all parts involved
2) test/check then replace broken part

QUOTE (betz)
"if anyone can point me to some useful articles on troubleshooting or restoring that system, or any other way I can fix this it would be greatly appreciated."

The links show how to diagnose your problems, solution #2
Your credit card will handle solution #1

beerchug.gif

Haha, good point. I guess I was looking for more in depth on the "headlight wiper" system but I don't see anyone in here recommending adjustments for that.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new (used) switch!

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 14 2020, 05:43 AM) *

My guess is the headlight switch as well.

Just remember, only replace one thing at a time.
The PO probably pulled the fuse to get the headlights to stop cycling after the switch failed.

Zach

I did figure that one out. Seems pretty in-line with the previous owner's "fixes"

betz
I think I just fixed the problem!!

I pulled out the switch and found it like this:

IPB Image

I put the wire back where it looks like it should go and... wha la- working headlights!

Strange thing was, pulling it out the headlights weren't working at all. The wire must have been contacting something else to cause the problem. Oh well. Best not question it too much- problem solved!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.