Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I get access to the handbrake adjustment rod?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neilbardsley
Got my gear shifting working better but the handbrake stopped locking the wheel. Works if pulled up. I traced back but couldn't see where the cables are connected to the rod and how to adjust?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(neilbardsley @ Oct 13 2020, 11:26 PM) *

Got my gear shifting working better but the handbrake stopped locking the wheel. Works if pulled up. I traced back but couldn't see where the cables are connected to the rod and how to adjust?

you will see the cable just behind the suspension arm for the hand brake. Or maybe your inner brake pad got stuck. From the inner side of the suspension arm, there is a hole to access the inner brake pad adjustment (which is also the pad that is used for hand brake).

check Eric Shea’s (PMB Performance) thread below.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625
rgalla9146
This is a two part process.
The rear caliper adjustment is necessary for proper rear brake operation.
That process is described elsewhere. Search.
After that the hand brake cables are adjusted where they enter the bulkhead in front
of the engine. Each cable has to be adjusted individually.
Done from below with the car raised high and properly supported.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 14 2020, 07:37 AM) *

This is a two part process.
The rear caliper adjustment is necessary for proper rear brake operation.
That process is described elsewhere. Search.
After that the hand brake cables are adjusted where they enter the bulkhead in front
of the engine. Each cable has to be adjusted individually.
Done from below with the car raised high and properly supported.

agree.gif You may need to remove the rear calipers to do this. It's not complicated, but you need the right tools.
Frankvw
"..couldn't see where the cables are connected to the rod ..."
well...if the rod is the handbrake lever, then they go from the lever to the place behind driver seat in front of the firewall/backpad. Under a cover with 2 small screws you will find:
Click to view attachment
but that is not where to adjust. But check and lube. How to adjust brakes and cables is explained by our members above.
To adjust you do not need to take off the calipers, unless you screw up the coverscrew that covers the adjustmentthingie in the caliper.
Good luck !
Bleyseng
First adjust the venting clearance on the rear calipers to .006-.008". Then adjust the cables behind the bulkhead under the car. The adjustment threads are covered by a rubber cover unless its gone due to age.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.