Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turbo tie rod wrench
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
Hi guys,

I am going to install the turbo tie rod kit on my 74. Read all I could find but had a question on the flat key to be used. The one on autoatlanta is square but I can't seem to find them here. Would the below "rounded" one work ? Size is 32 mm so that should be correct

thks

Dax
betz
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Oct 14 2020, 02:58 AM) *

Hi guys,

I am going to install the turbo tie rod kit on my 74. Read all I could find but had a question on the flat key to be used. The one on autoatlanta is square but I can't seem to find them here. Would the below "rounded" one work ? Size is 32 mm so that should be correct

thks

Dax

I'm no expert, but I didn't really need any special tools to do the tie rod conversion. I might've used a knipex wrench? But I imagine a crescent wrench or appropriately size box wrench would do the job just fine. I'm sure the tool you have will work as well.
bdstone914
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Oct 14 2020, 02:58 AM) *

Hi guys,

thks

Dax

It needs to be a thin 32mm the flat part of the turbo tie rod is very narrow. A crescent wrench will not work
914e
Snap-on sells thin blade wrenches, of course at a Snap-on price.
Luke M
Check your local bike shops. I purchased one from such place and it worked great on two turbo installs . Save yourself some cash too.
digit3
QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 14 2020, 11:50 AM) *

Check your local bike shops. I purchased one from such place and it worked great on two turbo installs . Save yourself some cash too.

Yep. 32mm headset wrench (also you can search cone wrench)
mbseto
Surprised you can get those anymore. Everyone uses sealed bearings. My old bicycle toolbox is filled with all the various BB sizes needed to repack all the bearings on the old Cannondale.
iankarr
Got mine on amazon...

Park Tool Headset Wrench... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VRF0TM?ref=pp...op_mob_ap_share
mepstein
QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 14 2020, 04:25 PM) *

Surprised you can get those anymore. Everyone uses sealed bearings. My old bicycle toolbox is filled with all the various BB sizes needed to repack all the bearings on the old Cannondale.

Cheap bikes still use the old standards.
The park wrenches are good but not designed to crank down on the hardware. When you use them on a bike headset, you hold the 32mm flat on the bearing race while you crank down on the top nut with a large adjustable wrench. If you put a lot of torque on a thin spanner wrench, you end up rounding off the edges.
Olympic 914
I went to a local bicycle shop and used their wrench.
bigkensteele
I don't recall who, but a member here was selling laser cut wrenches for stock and turbo tie rods. I bought one and it is great. You might want to search the member vendor forum.
mgp4591
I bought my set years ago to replace Chrysler inner tie rod ends... I recently used them to change my turbo tie rod ends.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DCh...GRA9&adurl=
dax1969
The one shown in my picture is actually used for bikes and is very thin. Will give it a try, cost is cheap.

thks yr feedback guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.