Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Level Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
It seems with my car ('74 2.0L dual carbs) I must let the car sit for at least 12 hours to get an accurate oil level reading on the dipstick. If I wait only 6 hours I get a bogus reading that is almost 1/3 quart on the low side. Is having to wait 12 hours to drain down into the pan after running excessive? Is this normal? I am using, and have always used, Castrol 20W-50 conventional oil and the ambient temp is around 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Running temps are normal as well as my CHT temps and I never find any excessive oil in the rebreather box. What have others experienced with this issue?

Ansbacher
trick-e
I’ve a ‘73 2.0 and have always checked after getting up to operating temp, parking and powering down, then checking about 5-10 minutes later.
Ansbacher
QUOTE(trick-e @ Oct 22 2020, 04:19 PM) *

I’ve a ‘73 2.0 and have always checked after getting up to operating temp, parking and powering down, then checking about 5-10 minutes later.

Really? I always thought oil level was to be checked with the engine cold... Wrong??

Ansbacher
JamesM
Do you have an external catch can or something? Cant think of anywhere in the motor itself that oil could get to that would take 12 hours to drain back.
Mark Henry
The 914 (bus, 411/412) has to be level, even small ground grade differences can wildly swing the oil level.
trick-e
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 22 2020, 06:28 PM) *

QUOTE(trick-e @ Oct 22 2020, 04:19 PM) *

Really? I always thought oil level was to be checked with the engine cold... Wrong??

Ansbacher

Seems like I read numerous threads on this site, saw an Ian Karr recommendation on YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drmeeVKdGrk )and found this in the manual.
Click to view attachment

...and I’m open to a better idea.
72hardtop
Very true with the T-4 engine. Even an unnoticeable slant will throw the reading off. Another over looked item is the anti drain back valve in an oil filter.
Bleyseng
You can overfill by a 1/2 qt too
brcacti
Right MUST be level if I have the rear wheels on on ramps it shows overfull
914_7T3
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 22 2020, 09:59 AM) *

It seems with my car ('74 2.0L dual carbs) I must let the car sit for at least 12 hours to get an accurate oil level reading on the dipstick. If I wait only 6 hours I get a bogus reading that is almost 1/3 quart on the low side. Is having to wait 12 hours to drain down into the pan after running excessive? Is this normal? I am using, and have always used, Castrol 20W-50 conventional oil and the ambient temp is around 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Running temps are normal as well as my CHT temps and I never find any excessive oil in the rebreather box. What have others experienced with this issue?

Ansbacher

@Ansbacher As stupid as this sounds, its the same deal on my 73 2.0. If I check the oil reading the morning after a drive, I get a slightly higher reading on the dipstick. It makes no sense and checking oil levels is pretty straight forward, at least until now. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.