Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Marker Location Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Charles Freeborn
Here's more of a racing / data question.. but since I race a 914 it sort of relates.. or that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Maybe a total eyeroll question for you veterans. But here goes..

How are the brake distance signs placed or located? I mean the 500, 400, 300 foot signs.

I've never given it much thought - other than to trial and error; see how far I can push and then use that as my reference.

Are they a specific distance from a specific part of each turn, such as a tangent from the maximum radius inside, outside, or middle of the track? Is this metric consistent from track to track, or even turn to turn on any given track?

The reason I ask is I'm learning about data collection and the Aim software used to analyze it. I'm on this journey with a friend who is very minutia oriented (he's an accountant), and would like to be able to see where on the track, relative to the fixed markers, his data lines are occurring.

I personally am not anywhere near as mathematical, drive much more by feel and determine my own visual markers based on the fixed ones, but I have to admit this question has piqued my curiosity. I'll pose the same question on one of the Aim forums, but thought I'd run it up the pole here first.

Thanks!
Trackd
I believe the markers are place before the turns start. But it may vary track to track. I don't think there is a standard in place for markers in amateur tracks. I could be wrong. There may be a method used for tracks that professional organizations like Nascar or IMSA. I wouldn't knock your question, its a decent question to ask.

stownsen914
I've wondered how accurately they are measured, and whether they measure to point of turn in, apex, or what ...
slivel
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Nov 5 2020, 01:57 PM) *

I've wondered how accurately they are measured, and whether they measure to point of turn in, apex, or what ...

I never worried about whether or not they were accurately placed, if it was a track new to me , I'd start my threshold braking at the 5 board and if that was no problem walk it in closer on the next lap and so on until you see god. biggrin.gif
infraredcalvin
Agree with all of the above, I’m not sure they’re measured the same as sharper corners or ones after long straights seem to be spaced farther from the turn-in point - maybe just in my mind.

Realistically they are there as warning markers and to be used for reference as you’ve mentioned.
GregAmy
They're reference points, not distance markers; treat them as such.

And when you go back to that same track, assume they've been moved. Because they likely have been.
Charles Freeborn
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 5 2020, 06:54 PM) *

They're reference points, not distance markers; treat them as such.

And when you go back to that same track, assume they've been moved. Because they likely have been.

You’re missing the point of my original question. What I am asking (for a friend- really..) which is there any consistency or universal metric that can translate to the track map function in a data analysis software ( specifically AiM)?

I too use brake markers for arbitrary reference. My friend has recently purchased a winning car(Miata) from a winning driver and also got several data files from races with the purchase. If he could cross reference the location of the PO’s data (braking points, etc)with physical markers on the track it will shorten his learning curve. Capeesh?
GregAmy
<deleted>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.