Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stark 01
Hello! I have a 914 that has been a race car since early 90’s. I have never seen a VIN stamp anywhere on this car. I’m joining PCA and it won’t let me continue the registration process without a valid VIN.

Car has no original interior, glass, engine. Some of the body looks like it’s been repaired.

Any hidden areas I can check?
JeffBowlsby
Driver side A-pillar plate (oops yours is missing!)
Driver side door jamb safety label
Pass side front trunk, plate on side of headlight bucket (on bulkhead if 75-76 model)
Pass side front trunk, stamped into top of inner wheel well

Thats all.
bkrantz
The inner right front fender number can be obscured by layers of paint.
davep
Does the car still have the original dash (the part supporting the instruments)?
Stark 01
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 4 2020, 08:47 PM) *

Driver side A-pillar plate (oops yours is missing!)
Driver side door jamb safety label
Pass side front trunk, plate on side of headlight bucket (on bulkhead if 75-76 model)
Pass side front trunk, stamped into top of inner wheel well

Thats all.

Thanks Jeff, there are no surviving plates, I’m going to hope the fender hasn’t been cut out and replaced over its racing lifetime.
Will report back any good news.
Stark 01
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 4 2020, 10:05 PM) *

Does the car still have the original dash (the part supporting the instruments)?

No sir
Stark 01
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 4 2020, 09:01 PM) *

Andy, that’s helpful, thank you. I’m going to check, but I do know the front strut area was messed with, and 911 suspension installed. Let me go look to see if I can find a stamp.
Stark 01
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 4 2020, 09:09 PM) *

You were 100% correct.
How would one carefully scrape/dissolve away some of that paint?
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Jim C
Does a '76 have a plate on the frunk bulkhead or not. I have seen both "yes" and "no."
bandjoey
look under the wheel well and sometimes you can see the stamp in reverse. otherwise, tape off the area, soak it in paint thinner, and carefully scrape away.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Stark 01 @ Nov 5 2020, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 4 2020, 09:09 PM) *

You were 100% correct.
How would one carefully scrape/dissolve away some of that paint?

You can try what I did after getting my freshly painted body back from the shop (and they forgot to mask the VIN area).

1. Cut a template with a rectangular opening from thin steel flashing.
2. Tape the template over the fender VIN.
3. Use a wire brush, brass or steel, in a power drill to remove most of the paint.
4. Finish with some paint remover or solvent if necessary.
5. Repaint with a clear coat to prevent rust.
Stark 01
This was not as beautiful as yours, I grabbed the only gray I had, but I can fix it later.
This was like an archeological dig, finding the old city under the new, exposing three colors the car has worn.
Click to view attachment

Wire brush work, and I almost thought I dug too far on the last VIN number, 4.

Click to view attachment

Then I taped over it and trimmed with a razor freehand (probably could have used a straightedge, but hey, it’s not a concourse car, ITS A RACE CAR!

Click to view attachment

Finally, I sprayed the non-matching grey paint over everything but the VIN, let it dry, then removed the paint. I then scraped off the old paint that wasn’t covered by the gray, then a coat of clear. Good enough, but will find a matching grey later and correct.
See next post....

Stark 01
Finished (almost)
Click to view attachment
73-914
now you can add it to the database piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
bkrantz
Glad you found the actual number.
Stark 01
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 8 2020, 09:40 PM) *

Glad you found the actual number.

Yes it is!

Thanks again for everyone here who contributed beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.