Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Front sway bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverg
Did 914/6s come with sway bars or at least a triangular boss on the inner wheel well?
rgalla9146
neither
bdstone914
QUOTE(silverg @ Nov 6 2020, 12:07 PM) *

Did 914/6s come with sway bars or at least a triangular boss on the inner wheel well?

I belive they did and the front bar was 1mm smaller than the 914 bar. I do not know if it was optional.
SKL1
I believe all 914's had the triangular boss on the inner fender well. I retrofitted F&R factory bars on my real '71 6 when I had it and it definitely had the boss. (main mistake was ever selling that car in the first place!!)
914Sixer
All cars have the boss in place in the front. Rears require welding in bracket.
silverg
what does it mean if a 1970 mid-run 914/6 does not have the sway bar mounting boss - replaced fenders? Not a 6? Porsche oddity?
gandalf_025
All Aftermarket rear bars did not require welding.
H+H bars did not.. I put both front and rear H+H sway bars on my 6
in the mid 70’s And neither required welding and the front bar didn’t require
removing the gas tank.
I bought both directly from H+H , driving to the house of the owner to pick them up..
My car had the indent for bar in the front wheel well and the tabs on the
A arms for them though..
mepstein
QUOTE(silverg @ Nov 6 2020, 02:10 PM) *

what does it mean if a 1970 mid-run 914/6 does not have the sway bar mounting boss - replaced fenders? Not a 6? Porsche oddity?

Boss vs mount
Pic is from my non sway bar 1970 parts car
They all have a boss. Only the equipped cars have a mount.
I believe the boss was made so the sway bar mounting plates will be parallel.

All the early 914-4’s also had the mount on the a-arms even though they didn’t have the bar. I’m not sure about 6’s. Later cars only had a arm mounts if they had a factory bar.
Eric_Shea
No bars came on -6's
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 6 2020, 04:55 PM) *

No bars came on -6's

Thank you Eric.
I was bit concerned there.
Every car has the recess stamped into the inner fended.
Later cars ( ~?) had a thread plate inside below the gas tank to facilitate front bar
install.
The U bracket on the lower control seems a bit random to me.
Pictured is a stock six in my driveway tonight. Dirtiest I've ever owned. No bars.
Blue parts are from a '75 (blue car, WHITE interior)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The 70 and 71 sixes did not have sway bars. 1972 sixes had them available as an option 16 in the front 15 in the rear

914-4 cylinder cars had sway bars available first in 73 15 front 16 rear, standard equipment on all 73 2.0 optional on all others

a arms were intermixed throughout the years sway bars or not, some had the brackets some did not, whatever the factory was supplied with at the time of the cars production
fixer34
I'll enter the fray.. Pictures are of my factory March 1970 -6. I have had the car for 43 years and the sway bar was there when I bought it. So if it wasn't factory installed, maybe dealer? Can anyone identify the brand? You can tell it needs some new rubber...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
silverg
I still don't know what to make of a mid-run 1970 914-6 without the front inner fender sway bar mounting boss?

Just a Porsche oddity?
914werke
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 6 2020, 03:30 PM) *
a-arms were intermixed throughout the years sway bars or not, some had the brackets some did not, whatever the factory was supplied with at the time of the cars production
agree.gif Ive even encountered cars with only one side or the other equipped with bracketed A-arms ...from all appearances OE confused24.gif
burton73
Number 41 clear clean picture of early 6

Bob BClick to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
except for the link 911 sway bars were the same. Question is do you have a rear sway bar? Factory did not install sway bars only on one end.
Secondly the six benefited from a front sway bar as it was tail happy.
Third, the sway bar on your car is a factory one but could have been from a 911 or taken from a 914 73 and up. Many many installed at least a front sway bar on the sixes. What size it it (can measure with an open end metric wrench

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 6 2020, 06:59 PM) *

I'll enter the fray.. Pictures are of my factory March 1970 -6. I have had the car for 43 years and the sway bar was there when I bought it. So if it wasn't factory installed, maybe dealer? Can anyone identify the brand? You can tell it needs some new rubber...

rgalla9146

Keep in mind 914 6s were not for everyone.
The person who sought a 6 typically wasn't driven by style or profile.
They sought handling and 911 power.
No sway bar ? easy install. Problem solved.
That applied to the first owner and all succeding owners.
Al Meredith
I just got The new 914 book on restoration from George Hussey and Dr. Johnson and is very good at explaining the differences between a 4 and a 6. The sway bar issue is clear on page 21,107,108 Great info , get the book! AL
SKL1
Yes it is- got my signed copy as a contributor!!
fixer34
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 7 2020, 05:27 PM) *

except for the link 911 sway bars were the same. Question is do you have a rear sway bar? Factory did not install sway bars only on one end.
Secondly the six benefited from a front sway bar as it was tail happy.
Third, the sway bar on your car is a factory one but could have been from a 911 or taken from a 914 73 and up. Many many installed at least a front sway bar on the sixes. What size it it (can measure with an open end metric wrench

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 6 2020, 06:59 PM) *

George, I'm guessing you want the diameter of the sway bar itself, not the links. Any way to get that without pulling the tank? Yes, it certainly looks just like the diagram in the book of the factory sway bar..
But, no rear sway bar. Not even brackets or holes where it might have been.

I have no history for the first 7 years of its life, just the seller's name and a hand-written bill of sale when I bought it. Factory owner's manual, but no dealer info.

FWIW, everything914 is supposed to have records for all the US imported -6's. I checked, mine comes up blank. No info at all. But it is definately a US spec.

I also have a signed copy of the book. That's my engine on page 92 (upper right).
rgalla9146
No disassembly required, the diameter of our front bars (OE) is stamped into the end.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 9 2020, 09:08 PM) *

No disassembly required, the diameter of our front bars (OE) is stamped into the end.

I didn't know that. Thank you!
SKL1
See the dry ice thread here- the 914-6 has both F&R bars added...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 9 2020, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 9 2020, 09:08 PM) *

I didn't know that. Thank you!

Rear bars too !
Can't post a pic right now though.
It is stamped somewhere along the length, not at an end.
The standard rear is 16mm, I think the VERY unusual alternate is 15mm....not listed in my parts book.
pete000
Wow, learn something new every day, I did not know the 70 914-6 had no sway bar option offered.

Did all the 76 914 2.0s come with front and rear bars as Porsche was trying to get rid of inventory? or is this just lore?

Here is my Aftermarket front bar on my six, Weiltmeister?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.