Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Shift Fork Jig DImensions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
guy.huxley
I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out.
I am making my own jig for aligning the shift forks on the 914 transmission. If anyone has an orginial jig (P260) and would be kind enough to measure it for me, I would be very grateful.
I have one source of information, (see attached image - sizes in mm) however I would like to check the accuracy/ improve the precision before I get something machined to the wrong size!

The one thing I would also like to find out is the thickness of the original jig, if anyone has this information they could share too.

Many thanks,
Guy

Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
Pelican Parts has them. Why re-invent the wheel? I understand shipping could be a problem, but I can't imagine a machine shop can make one for $80 US.
Mark Henry
Thickness doesn't matter.
If you're working on the cheap you can just cut it out of an old trans case.
sawzall-smiley.gif
mlindner
Guy, those numbers look good. The only small difference I had was the right top hole was 46.9. But this is from the Pelican plastic one they sell. Worked fine on my trans. +1 on Mr. Henry. Just FYI the thickness was 19.5mm. Best, Mark
Red76
If you are lucky enough to have a core transmission you can pull the intermediate plate out and clean it up. You need to pull out the old bearings.

If you want to make one yourself the intermediate plate serves as a great template
The o.d of the pinion shaft bearing is 64 mm
The o.d. Of the input shaft bearing is 46.12 mm
Each shift fork rod (3) is 13.87 mm dia.
Thats their exact measurements. You might need to leave a few thousandths of clearance to make it fit well.
Ive made these out of wood and also out of uhmw plastic.
iMHO if you only do these occasionally it doesn’t make sense to blow $80.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 7 2020, 09:55 AM) *

Thickness doesn't matter.
If you're working on the cheap you can just cut it out of an old trans case.
sawzall-smiley.gif

agree.gif

Actually, an old trans case works better than the jig. Here is a thread from years ago that shows it in detail:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=25856

Clay
Superhawk996
idea.gif Very cool.

Thanks for yet another project (make cutaway case) that I don't have time to do headbang.gif av-943.gif
Dominic
This is the most accurate way to align the shift forks, just cut out the area from an old case with a hack saw.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.