Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Unconversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zprovo
Anyone performed a flat 4 swap on a v8 swapped 914?
I'm sure a v8 is fun, but not my thing. I'm wondering how hard it would be to convert one back.
76-914
I’ve unconverted one, so to speak. I put a Subaru 6 in its place. I’d recommend you do the same unless you enjoy working and tinkering instead of driving. Depending upon your needs you can spend $3500-$7500 rebuilding a Type 4. I can replace an entire Subaru 6 engine for less than $1000. Just my opinion. If your doing a restoration and looking for originality then go aircooled. But I’ll bet you’ll need to patch some sheet metal that was cut out for the V8 conversion. If you go back with another water cooled set up then a lot of the work has already been done. Why not post some pics of your project. Whether you go water cooled or air sucker they’re a blast to drive. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
Me too but I went rotary and then Audi turbo. (still water cooled)

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Depends on what they did with the electrical and the mounts. If all the factory stuff is there it should be a straight forward swap.
Chris914n6
Besides the holes in the front trunk sheetmetal, it will likely have the firewall engine shelf cut off for clearance and maybe the sides, so all that will need to be sourced and welded in before it will work as an aircooled again.

Like as has been said, do a Subaru flat 6 swap -- all the benefits of a Porsche 6 swap but budget friendly.
zprovo
Thank you all for the input! The car sold, so on to the next one.
76-914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 8 2020, 01:49 PM) *

Besides the holes in the front trunk sheetmetal, it will likely have the firewall engine shelf cut off for clearance and maybe the sides, so all that will need to be sourced and welded in before it will work as an aircooled again.

Like as has been said, do a Subaru flat 6 swap -- all the benefits of a Porsche 6 swap but budget friendly.

AND........ you don't need to cut out the shelve's when doing a Suby 6. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.