Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New video Sunday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
It's new video sunday. Part 3 of my 2056 engine rebuild. Some of it didn't go as planned wink.gif.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0f2Yt5L2CU

BeatNavy
Sorry, Ian. More time and $$ required pinch.gif
Superhawk996
headbang.gif

Hurts to see this. barf.gif Hope you get it resolved quickly!
simonjb
Ugh - that sucks a bit - but I know the feeling.

I have also just finished my first rebuild and am dropping at the shop to do the first start up....
popcorn[1].gif

Great Videos....
914-300Hemi
Great video. Curious as to see what went wrong.
Marmeli
Good luck getting this fixed. Helpful videos - planning a rebuild on my 2.0 as well.
Montreal914
dry.gif I hope it is not too bad.

When I did my 2056, I must have closed the case 2-3 times before sealing it, just to check all of this (empty with bearing only, then add crank, ...).

I ran into a similar situation where my align bore was not done right (not deep enough in the middle bearing).

Everything has to be checked... sad.gif

Following with interest. Thank you for preparing these videos! popcorn[1].gif
JOEPROPER
headbang.gif Ugh. Maybe just a small problem. Hope it's resolved easily. icon8.gif
iankarr
All good. Just part of the process. And why it takes a while to do anything right.
Appreciate all of the suggestions and feedback here and on YouTube. This community never ceases to amaze. I should hear from the machinist this weeks and will keep y’all posted...
Maury4
QUOTE(iankarr @ Nov 16 2020, 02:22 PM) *

All good. Just part of the process. And why it takes a while to do anything right.
Appreciate all of the suggestions and feedback here and on YouTube. This community never ceases to amaze. I should hear from the machinist this weeks and will keep y’all posted...

I suspect rear bearing rotated out of dowel pin or the others up front. Ruined a set myself that way.

Rick Maury
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Maury4 @ Nov 16 2020, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Nov 16 2020, 02:22 PM) *

I suspect rear bearing rotated out of dowel pin or the others up front. Ruined a set myself that way.

Rick Maury

I'll bet that's it too! piratenanner.gif
iankarr
Definitely possible. But I triple checked how everything was seated...and the rub marks inside the thrust bearing were 90 degrees from the dowel pin. Will report back once I hear from the shop...
Frankvw
Ian, I had the same many years ago assembling a beetle case.
Got stuck while tightening the case bolts. I did not try it half way like you did, so after the torqueing I was looking very proud what I had achieved only to find up it was locked up, just like you have.
I split the case and found a bearing that moved and the dowelpin pressed itself in the bearing while tightening the bolts. Really, it pressed a new dowelhole in there. So...I got a new bearing and redid it. Same thing...but now I found out while tightening....but already too late, another bearing unusable, again the bearing seemed to have moved away from the dowelpin. I ordered another one, and now in the correct size smile.gif
Measuring is so important (besides cleaning) since the tolerances are critical.
Good luck with the build, it is super great to see you building this engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.