Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Rearview Mirror *Cracked*
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Targa70
So I broke the glass in my early rear view mirror as I was trying to coax it out, so I could tighten that damn screw.

Any ideas or experience on getting a new mirror into the plastic housing? I was considering going to a glass shop and have them cup a piece the same size to see if I can get it in. I would likely have them make 3 or 4 because I will need to "learn" how to get it back in.

There may even be, in 2020, good high quality plastic that will fit the bill.

Or does anyone have a mirror or the glass they would like to part with?

Thanks for you consideration.
Beach914
You can buy new replacement mirrors from Auto Atlanta.
Targa70
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Nov 15 2020, 01:26 PM) *

You can buy new replacement mirrors from Auto Atlanta.

Thanks man, that is the answer I was hoping to get. I am embarrassed I did not look there first.
PanelBilly
I didn't know that the glass could be replaced. How does the frame come apart?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 15 2020, 05:06 PM) *

I didn't know that the glass could be replaced. How does the frame come apart?

Same question, or is it simply a proper shaped replacement glass mirror to be glued
in place ?
Beach914
My bad possibly. As I read others comments I may have assumed you were talking about the outside mirrors. I am not aware of replacements for the inside mirror and would stand corrected.
altitude411
QUOTE(Targa70 @ Nov 15 2020, 01:42 PM) *

So I broke the glass in my early rear view mirror as I was trying to coax it out, so I could tighten that damn screw.

Any ideas or experience on getting a new mirror into the plastic housing? I was considering going to a glass shop and have them cup a piece the same size to see if I can get it in. I would likely have them make 3 or 4 because I will need to "learn" how to get it back in.

There may even be, in 2020, good high quality plastic that will fit the bill.

Or does anyone have a mirror or the glass they would like to part with?

Thanks for you consideration.

Are you talking about interior or exterior?

Exterior replacement is the McMark method... go to post #12 in this thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42362

Glass, gaskets ect. can be found at 914 rubber (the other Mark confused24.gif biggrin.gif )

https://914rubber.com/exterior-mirror-glass-for-porsche-914
mepstein
There isn’t a way to take apart the inside mirror. I figured I might try to replace one of mine by getting the glass cut to the right size and heating it up with a heat gun.
Mikey914
Let me know I can cut glass in quantity. I just didn't see how to easily replace it.
steuspeed
I have a 74 mirror. Is that early?
Cairo94507
Nope. That is the later, bigger mirror. I am not certain when they switched, but I know '70 and '71 were the small mirrors.
Targa70
So it is the interior mirror I was looking to replace. When removing it, I used a couple of plastic pry tools and lots of lube. I almost had it out and then snap, the glass broke. My original question was whether or not anyone had any luck replacing it.

I am going to give it some thought and see what is out there. Maybe a high quality plastic mirror would work.

Thank you for your responses.
Mikey914
It could work. We used acrylic mirror that was treated with anti abrasion coating (Used in aviation applications
) otherwise it will scratch easily.

No one could figure out how we were able to sew the mirrors into the visors we made without cracking of breaking them.

Now you know
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.