Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What 'obvious' 914 thing did you not know?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mmichalik
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2020, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 26 2020, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(HansJan @ Nov 25 2020, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 25 2020, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 25 2020, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 25 2020, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Nov 25 2020, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Nov 25 2020, 09:11 AM) *

Took me years to realize that you could reset the trip odometer.

I still can't figure that one out on my '74 smile.gif

There is a knob under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Make sure you are parked, then turn the knob. It will rotate the numbers on the trip odometer.

And guys.. if you post something, please say how to do it.

This will help others out.

knob could be gone, and the cable it’s attached to might not be in place, i had to go hunting for mine, it was attached to the back of the speedometer but not thru the hole in the dash knee pad, knob was gone.

The knob on my -6 is on the RIGHT side of the steering wheel. No dash knee pad.

This better be some sort of joke, to get idiots like me to go nuts looking for this knob.
Sounds like blinker fluid to me...

Good one guys smile.gif

picture worth a xxxx words.. The strip of paper is next to the knob. The camera angle skews it; the knob is directly below the cigarette lighter. My mistake on the dash knee pad, I was thinking about the big later model ones...Click to view attachment

I actually screwed up.. it is on the right side of the steering column. In a car with AC, it will be removed and stuck between the AC unit and the knee pad. Oh.. and the cable is not in a sheath. Just a threaded fitting on the knee pad end and a plastic bushing on the speedo end. So if the threaded fitting siezes to the cable, just take out of the knee pad and turn it to reset the trip odometer.

I'll take another look. Didn't see it yesterday but now that I know what to look for, and the potential variants, I'm sure I can find it now.
Thanks Clay !
dt4
Mine doesn't have the knob on the end ^^^ but at least I know what it does now
thanks
double-a
it was years before i noticed the ventilation control up/down arrows glow in the dark wink.gif
mmichalik

I'll take another look. Didn't see it yesterday but now that I know what to look for, and the potential variants, I'm sure I can find it now.
Thanks Clay !

@ClayPerrine - I took a second look and sure enough, the cable was tucked up under the dash with no knob on it.
Thanks for this information, it was driving me crazy!
Off to the classifieds now to see if anyone has a knob for sale. smile.gif
bdstone914
@Jim C

There is?
[/quote]

Only on some cars with nonretractable belts
Eric_Shea
Two years of ownership before I found out that Betty was faster than Clay. huh.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 2 2020, 06:59 PM) *

Two years of ownership before I found out that Betty was faster than Clay. huh.gif

She always has been. I met her at an SCCA autocross 35 years ago, and she beat me then. She still beats me in a heads up, straight competition in the same car. Always +2 seconds.

But as I said at Parade in 04.... "I have been chasing her tail for 20 years, and I haven't caught it yet." I am now up to 35 years, and still chasing her tail.

driving-girl.gif wub.gif

IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Jim C @ Nov 25 2020, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Nov 25 2020, 12:31 PM) *

There's a driver pocket on the longs for the seatbelt when not in use.

Paul

There is?

The early (non retractable seat belt) cars have a plastic holster for the driver's seat belt buckle
IronHillRestorations
I've had a 914 since '78 and I didn't know that the threaded hole in the rear trunk floor was so you can put the spare in the back. I discovered this in the early 90's

I also found out that a well built 2270 type 4 powered 914 is faster than a real 2.0 6
flat4guy
Up until this thread I did not know how to use the heater controls - and it's my 4th Porsche.
horizontally-opposed
I've had my 914 for more than 30 years, but didn't realize it had a longer wheelbase than a 996 or 997…and all 911s until the 991 debuted with the same wheelbase as the 914 (2450 mm, or 96.5 inches).

Didn't know about the threaded hole in the rear trunk until recently.

And didn't know about The Crack® until McMark pointed it out during my last repaint…
KELTY360
Didn’t know that the 914 wheelbase is two inches more than a bay window bus.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 3 2020, 07:52 PM) *

And didn't know about The Crack® until McMark pointed it out during my last repaint…

The Crack??? The one on the driver's side inner long?
Jett
QUOTE(double-a @ Dec 1 2020, 09:05 PM) *

it was years before i noticed the ventilation control up/down arrows glow in the dark wink.gif

on our 73 they are backlit smile.gif
dt4
QUOTE(dt4 @ Nov 27 2020, 07:24 AM) *

Mine doesn't have the knob on the end ^^^ but at least I know what it does now
thanks

Found a knob that fits in the bits and pieces box and its now functioning
beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 3 2020, 09:52 PM) *

I've had my 914 for more than 30 years, but didn't realize it had a longer wheelbase than a 996 or 997…and all 911s until the 991 debuted with the same wheelbase as the 914 (2450 mm, or 96.5 inches).

Didn't know about the threaded hole in the rear trunk until recently.

didnt know about the hole in trunk until 2 years ago at Werks Reunion Amelia island and i saw a nice GT tribute build that had the spare mounted there. I had wondered for 10 years about that, because of the gromet in the stock trunk carpet pad that is located right there too, i figured it had a specific purpose for mounting something, just didnt know what. Also found out about the Crack when getting my body work, long rust repair etc done 2 years ago. lots of stuff that i didnt know, i learn something new seems like every year, which is kind of fun, that after 12 years of ownership i am still learning and figuring stuff out about these cars! How many people knew about the targa bar mount points for the ski racks?? Or the plug in the bumper for the tow hook? I didnt know until i pulled the old 75 bumpers to mount the Early Chrome bumpers that now i dont have that because the late bumpers had that spot in the big steel inner bumper, whereas the early cars have it on the body- If i had known that earlier i could have had that added back while all my body work was being done before paint...
ClayPerrine
Everyone is learning here.....

What is "The Crack®"???

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 4 2020, 08:40 AM) *

Everyone is learning here.....

What is "The Crack®"???

Clay

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=101249&hl=
horizontally-opposed
Another one…

The 914's roof/greenhouse design solves several problems at once:

*Excellent rearward visibility with minimum blind spots vs other production mid-engined cars of the time, which were pretty unusual/exotic back then (think Miura, Mangusta, Pantera, etc)

*Top can be stored as one piece without folding (like 911 Targa top), reducing legroom (as in Dino), or taking up much in the way of trunk space (911 Targa, again, and just about everything else). Unlike the 911 Targa's top, the 914 top offers coupe-like protection from the elements as well as vandals/thieves.

*Wide enough for three passengers across, unlike 911 (this was conscious, if you look at the three-across 918E drawings, with one more person sitting sideways behind them); Porsche was looking for ways to make a 2+2 sports car more practical than the 911, and an argument can be made that a 914 with three people on board is more comfortable than a period 911 with three aboard.

*Flat rear window not only excellent for visibility, but very inexpensive to produce.

*Minimum silhouette saves money on materials, saves weight, and significantly reduces susceptibility to side winds too.

The roof is, to me anyway, another example where the mid-engined 914 was cleverer as a piece of engineering than the rear-engined 901—as it should have been as a more modern project driven by none other than engineering genius Ferdinand Piëch (think 906-917, Audi Quattro, Audi Le Mans programs, Veyron, etc). The first example that got me to thinking about just how clever the 914's unibody is came as I stripped the car down for another paint job: The 914 has six crossways bulkheads to the 911's four, and a far smaller void for passengers—a boon to structural rigidity (offset, of course, by its lack of a roof). And two of the five voids are very shallow.

I used to think the 914's roof was kind of ugly. 30 years later, it's one of my favorite elements on a design that's aging very well indeed…
abes914
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Nov 25 2020, 09:11 AM) *

Turn sign stays on for parking, with out the key on!

+1
horizontally-opposed
To prevent the owner from locking a 914 with the keys inside, the driver's door can be locked from inside by:

> Opening door
> Pushing interior lock
> Holding door handle at angle as you shut door

Passenger side can be locked and stays locked if you swing it shut without holding the handle.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 4 2020, 02:56 PM) *

When getting out of the car, the driver's door can be locked without using the key by:

> Opening door
> Pushing interior lock
> Holding door handle at angle as you shut door

Same trick doesn't work on the passenger side.

ok so , i have to ask, is that how its supposed to be? if so then put me down as not knowing that until now. blink.gif - right now i can lock the passenger door from inside and shut the door and it will stay locked but not on driver side, have to use the key, or as you said hold handle open as shutting it.

PHil
dt4
how little does the person in the middle need to be to be able to claim it as a 3 seater?
and how the hell would you change gear?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 4 2020, 12:04 PM) *

ok so , i have to ask, is that how its supposed to be? if so then put me down as not knowing that until now. blink.gif - right now i can lock the passenger door from inside and shut the door and it will stay locked but not on driver side, have to use the key, or as you said hold handle open as shutting it.

PHil

Ah, thanks for the logic prod—will revise my text to make clear: You can do lock the driver's door from the inside but it won't stay locked unless you hold the handle out when closing it. It's a way to keep you from locking yourself out. Yes on passenger door.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Nov 25 2020, 09:11 AM) *

Turn sign stays on for parking, with out the key on!

Yep, and front fenders are also "indicators" of another kind—as with 356, 911, and 912, Ferry liked the raised headlight or parking light humps because they help a driver "sight" where the corner of the car is on the way into a turn.

In the 914's case, a small bonus at night seen in very few other cars: You don't need the dash lights to tell you a turn indicator is on, or which one.
mepstein
QUOTE(dt4 @ Dec 4 2020, 03:07 PM) *

how little does the person in the middle need to be to be able to claim it as a 3 seater?
and how the hell would you change gear?

The early cars have a mount for the center belt. Two, even three girls will easily fit in the car with a driver (at least it all worked that way when I was in high school). I bought a center belt when my kids were young but never used it. I realized I would need a harness bar and a shoulder belt unless I was willing to sacrifice my child on the gear shift knob.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2020, 12:33 PM) *
Two, even three girls will easily fit in the car with a driver (at least it all worked that way when I was in high school).

agree.gif

In high school, 2-3 girls plus the driver—or 1 guy and 1 gal plus the driver—was not only a non-issue, but pretty tolerable for all involved. Don't remember shifting being a problem, but I was rail thin back then as were most of the usual suspects. And, of course, we were all incentivized by freedom…

Three normal-sized dudes was a lot less comfortable, as was my all-time record of five people: 3 gals, 1 guy, and driver. I think that was just leaving a football field as I was worried about my longitudinals even back then.

One downside with Scheels is no more possibility of more than one passenger, but it's been decades since that's been a need with my 914.
Montreal914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 4 2020, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 4 2020, 12:04 PM) *

PHil

Ah, thanks for the logic prod—will revise my text to make clear: You can do lock the driver's door from the inside but it won't stay locked unless you hold the handle out when closing it. It's a way to keep you from locking yourself out. Yes on passenger door.

If I recall, other European cars locked the same way. I believe my parents Peugeot 504, 505, Renault 12, 5 and Citroën GS all locked with the key or by holding the door handle (or trigger) pulled while having previously done a similar operation as the 914 from inside the car.

Locking my 914 without the key never seemed strange to me. confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 4 2020, 04:00 PM) *

Two, even three girls will easily fit in the car with a driver (at least it all worked that way when I was in high school).

agree.gif

In high school, 2-3 girls plus the driver—or 1 guy and 1 gal plus the driver—was not only a non-issue, but pretty tolerable for all involved. Don't remember shifting being a problem, but I was rail thin back then as were most of the usual suspects. And, of course, we were all incentivized by freedom…

Three normal-sized dudes was a lot less comfortable, as was my all-time record of five people: 3 gals, 1 guy, and driver. I think that was just leaving a football field as I was worried about my longitudinals even back then.

One downside with Scheels is no more possibility of more than one passenger, but it's been decades since that's been a need with my 914.

Early cars with their larger, flatter passenger seat were better for dates. And shifting was never an issue if the passengers were female.
The targa bar was like a second row of seating.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 4 2020, 01:20 PM) *

If I recall, other European cars locked the same way. I believe my parents Peugeot 504, 505, Renault 12, 5 and Citroën GS all locked with the key or by holding the door handle (or trigger) pulled while having previously done a similar operation as the 914 from inside the car.

Locking my 914 without the key never seemed strange to me. confused24.gif

I don't think it's all that unusual, and may have been either required or expected in period, but it stands out as one of those little features that might escape a newcomer unless they're told about it—particularly in this era of even the cheapest cars coming with remote power locks.
brcacti
Carry someone in the middle will break the interior light, just a matter of when not if.
Beeliner
It took me five months to find out the dash would crack in half while in Lake Placid skiing and the temperature dropped to 26 below zero...
But the car would start if I plugged in the crank case heater and kept the battery in the lodge at Mirror Lake Inn.

This all happened in January, 1971... When the rust started...

VegasRacer
Back in 1970 I did not know, or care, that a 911 was more expensive than a 914, and that the 911 was generally considered a more desirable model. (Both were well beyond my financial abilities at the time.) All I knew is that I wanted the little square one with the roof that came off.

20 years later when I finally bought a 914, I had no ideal how addictive they are.
I soon realized that owning only one would not be enough. aubergine914.jpg grasshopper914.jpg ravenna914.jpg red914.jpg blue914.jpg signal914.jpg silver914.jpg
76-914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2020, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 26 2020, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(HansJan @ Nov 25 2020, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 25 2020, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 25 2020, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 25 2020, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Nov 25 2020, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Nov 25 2020, 09:11 AM) *

Took me years to realize that you could reset the trip odometer.

I still can't figure that one out on my '74 smile.gif

There is a knob under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Make sure you are parked, then turn the knob. It will rotate the numbers on the trip odometer.

And guys.. if you post something, please say how to do it.

This will help others out.

knob could be gone, and the cable it’s attached to might not be in place, i had to go hunting for mine, it was attached to the back of the speedometer but not thru the hole in the dash knee pad, knob was gone.

The knob on my -6 is on the RIGHT side of the steering wheel. No dash knee pad.

This better be some sort of joke, to get idiots like me to go nuts looking for this knob.
Sounds like blinker fluid to me...

Good one guys smile.gif

picture worth a xxxx words.. The strip of paper is next to the knob. The camera angle skews it; the knob is directly below the cigarette lighter. My mistake on the dash knee pad, I was thinking about the big later model ones...Click to view attachment

I actually screwed up.. it is on the right side of the steering column. In a car with AC, it will be removed and stuck between the AC unit and the knee pad. Oh.. and the cable is not in a sheath. Just a threaded fitting on the knee pad end and a plastic bushing on the speedo end. So if the threaded fitting siezes to the cable, just take out of the knee pad and turn it to reset the trip odometer.

I don't know about that Clay? This '73 that I sold 2 weeks ago has a sheath on the reset cable.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dt4
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 4 2020, 09:00 PM) *

agree.gif

no way lol-2.gif
photos required or it didnt happen
914werke
So aside from the gauges changing from having a silver button on their center's on early gauges to those buttons being removed on later cars, I learned ONLY TODAY, the gauge bezels are also different.
Steve
QUOTE(dt4 @ Dec 5 2020, 12:40 AM) *

agree.gif

no way lol-2.gif

In the late 70's and early 80's, we cruised Pacific Avenue in Stockton and McHenry in Modesto (American Graffiti). We had countless girls in my car. One on the center seat and one on my buddy's lap. We would just pull girls over and ask if they want to go for a ride in my car. Girls just want to have fun!!
No cell phone camera's back then. Plus I don't think there parents would have approved.
PanelBilly
I didn’t know that I’d spend the same amount of $ turning my car into a /6 GT as it would have cost to buy a new 911!
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 8 2020, 07:34 PM) *

agree.gif

no way lol-2.gif

In the late 70's and early 80's, we cruised Pacific Avenue in Stockton and McHenry in Modesto (American Graffiti). We had countless girls in my car. One on the center seat and one on my buddy's lap. We would just pull girls over and ask if they want to go for a ride in my car. Girls just want to have fun!!
No cell phone camera's back then. Plus I don't think there parents would have approved.

Whenever I drove my 914 to (high) school, there would be girls waiting for a ride home. I wasn’t good looking or popular so I have to attribute it to the car. Still, it worked for me.
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 4 2020, 04:00 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

I did the same in HS, with an 8 pack of Miller mini's in the frunk. Patty and Leslie. We had a great time. All very innocent.

Coondog
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 8 2020, 04:41 PM) *

I didn’t know that I’d spend the same amount of $ turning my car into a /6 GT as it would have cost to buy a new 911!

Ditto
ClayPerrine
I don't remember when I learned this but...

A pony keg will fit in the front trunk (no AC) and still be able to close the lid. 6 bags of ice to surround it, and once you get to the party site, just open the front and tap the keg.

beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif
Rob-O
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 8 2020, 07:07 PM) *

A pony keg will fit in the front trunk (no AC) and still be able to close the lid. 6 bags of ice to surround it, and once you get to the party site, just open the front and tap the keg.

And when you’re done pull the small plug and let the melted ice drain out!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Dec 9 2020, 05:18 PM) *

Or just leave the plug out and not worry about the water....

Ah.. the knowledge acquired in a misspent youth. I wish I had it to misspend again.

Clay
FRUNKenstein
I didn't know for 5 months that the turn signal indicator in the instrument cluster will blink one time and then go out if you have a bulb not working in the turn signal. The indicator would work as normal on left turns, but on right turns it would blink once, then never blink again. On most cars, the blinker speeds up if a bulb is out, but the blink rate remained the same. Turned out to be the front right bulb wasn't connecting properly. Once I adjusted the contacts and sprayed a little Deoxit in there, the signal worked and the indicator on the dash kept blinking as long as the turn signal was on.
RARE 6
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 10 2020, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Dec 9 2020, 05:18 PM) *

Or just leave the plug out and not worry about the water....

Ah.. the knowledge acquired in a misspent youth. I wish I had it to misspend again.

Also works in a '63 Corvair Spyder. More capacity and the handling improved greatly with the extra load. Or so I've heard...

Clay

Costa05

agree.gif

no way lol-2.gif

@steve thats crazy, I was cruising Pacific Ave from 1979 to 1982 or 83 roughly as well. I had my 1970 Pontiac Firebird back then. Small world.
Steve
QUOTE(Costa05 @ Dec 14 2020, 03:40 PM) *

agree.gif

no way lol-2.gif

@steve thats crazy, I was cruising Pacific Ave from 1979 to 1982 or 83 roughly as well. I had my 1970 Pontiac Firebird back then. Small world.

@costa05
Did you know Jerry Rainy? Dodge Charger or Danny?? 69 Camaro? Mike Allen Blue Bug?
Click to view attachment
VegasRacer

From another current thread talking about the Fog Light Switch.

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Dec 31 2020, 01:35 PM) *

I can't stand that bright yellow light in my face at night.

I simply turn the knob to the left half a rotation so it breaks contact . . . . and the light goes out. MDB2.gif

Then . . . . popcorn[1].gif

If I want to use the little yellow mini map light . . . . I just turn it back. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.