Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS axle install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
@914_7T3 set me up with a very nice NOS rear axle for my build that I'm finally getting ready to install. It looks like it has been sitting on a shelf for a very long time but the ends are wrapped in plastic to keep them clean. I'm curious of opinions on whether I should just bolt it on or clean and re-grease first. Thanks.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2020, 06:49 AM) *

@914_7T3 set me up with a very nice NOS rear axle for my build that I'm finally getting ready to install. It looks like it has been sitting on a shelf for a very long time but the ends are wrapped in plastic to keep them clean. I'm curious of opinions on whether I should just bolt it on or clean and re-grease first. Thanks.

Will be curious to see what others say, but I'd clean and repack on the idea that a) lubricants tend to degrade over time, b) grease now is probably better than whatever grease is in there, and c) it'll never be easier than now.

Do they have new roll pins in them? I once made the mistake of installing an axle without roll pins in my youth. The result wasn't pretty…
bbrock
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 4 2020, 07:54 AM) *

Do they have new roll pins in them? I once made the mistake of installing an axle without roll pins in my youth. The result wasn't pretty…

Haven't even looked so thanks for the reminder.

Another question I should have added to the OP. I have Swepco and Redline CV-2 on hand which are both premium high temp greases. Anyone have a preference for CVs? I'm leaning toward Redline because it is full synthetic and the red color is pretty. smile.gif
914Sixer
No telling how old the grease is so it might be best to repack them.
914_teener
Inspect and repack.
MM1
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2020, 10:04 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 4 2020, 07:54 AM) *

Haven't even looked so thanks for the reminder.

Another question I should have added to the OP. I have Swepco and Redline CV-2 on hand which are both premium high temp greases. Anyone have a preference for CVs? I'm leaning toward Redline because it is full synthetic and the red color is pretty. smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif

Curious what the consensus is . . .just bought 4 of these from PMB - shot in the dark for me:

Click to view attachment

SteveL
Repack. Off the shelf you are not certain what you have for grease. Repacked you are certain.
914Sixer
Lubro Moly is what I use.
bbrock
What??!!! Do we have a unanimous consensus? Is The World broken? This never happens. av-943.gif

Thanks all. Repacking was my leaning also but wanted to make sure there wasn't some magic elixir in the factory grease that could never be replaced. I need to repack the joints on the other axle anyway so not much extra work.

Any opinions on Swepco vs Redline CV-2?

Thanks again.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2020, 05:56 PM) *

What??!!! Do we have a unanimous consensus? Is The World broken? This never happens. av-943.gif

Thanks all. Repacking was my leaning also but wanted to make sure there wasn't some magic elixir in the factory grease that could never be replaced.

Magic Elixer is expensive - sure you want it? happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

OK - Joking ONLY -- would not be appropriate for CV's. Again -- Not Serious before everyone gets wound up.
Amphicar770
Repacking is cheap insurance. No down side to doing so, potential upside.
MM1
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 4 2020, 06:40 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2020, 05:56 PM) *

Thanks all. Repacking was my leaning also but wanted to make sure there wasn't some magic elixir in the factory grease that could never be replaced.

Magic Elixer is expensive - sure you want it? happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

Boy I hope you're right about these, @Superhawk996 , for what I just paid for this ambrosia - I could have had Tarrett axles . . .well, at least one.

lol-2.gif

bbrock
Well, job done. I remembered that being a fun job but had forgotten just HOW fun. My curse generator over heated three times so I had to pause to let it cool down. The whole time I kept thinking you guys had somehow conspired with your advice just to ruin my day, but I confess it was pretty obvious the old grease was getting waxy and needed to be replaced. Now I have the other side to do - YIPEE cheer.gif At least those are already cleaned. That's 3/4 of the job.

Thanks all for your advice. Hope your days went better than mine but it is nice to have it out of the way. beerchug.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2020, 05:21 PM) *

My curse generator over heated three times so I had to pause to let it cool down.

In case you over used your supply and need to refresh... unsure.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.