Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick jack - first impression
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Hello folks,

Just a few FYI only pics of my 7000 type quick jack.

It’s slightly longer than the 5000 but it fits just nicely
under a teener and lifts the car about 12” of the ground,
with the medium and tall rubber blocks.

Not a endorsement per se for QJ and there are also other
compact lifts, but if you do any work on cars you do want
one of them!

I was first reluctant to spend the $1200 (HD had a special,
with $300 off) but now I could kick my a$$ for not having
bought it sooner, like years sooner.

Happy wrenching fellas!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
Caution using both sets of rubber blocks.

I had my car shift, and almost fall off using both. I have since cut blocks of wood that fit inside the trays and no longer worry about the rubber blocks shifting.

I never use the rubber blocks anymore.

draganc
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Dec 7 2020, 11:27 AM) *

Caution using both sets of rubber blocks.

I had my car shift, and almost fall off using both. I have since cut blocks of wood that fit inside the trays and no longer worry about the rubber blocks shifting.

I never use the rubber blocks anymore.

Thanks for the note! Do you have a 5000 or 7000 model and how/why did your car shift!

I raised the lift, with both blocks, just about a 1/4 before it touched the body’s lifting dough nuts, aligned them center on the blocks and lifted it all they way without movement.

I did however notice that the front of the lift engage about 3/4” early than the rear.
mepstein
Anytime I use a lift, I lift the car a couple inches off the ground and then push and shove each end of the car. I also don’t use a breaker bar on the lift. Just impact wrenches.
kroelofsen
Envy... Nice lift!
iankarr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 7 2020, 03:29 PM) *

Anytime I use a lift, I lift the car a couple inches off the ground and then push and shove each end of the car. I also don’t use a breaker bar on the lift. Just impact wrenches.

agree.gif
I only needed to see my car jump once on the lift (also a QJ) when trying to use a breaker bar on a stuck axle nut. Never again. Congrats on the QJ BTW. I love mine. Really great solution if you don't have a high enough ceiling in your carage for a 4 post. And I just use the one set of taller rubber blocks. Lifts plenty high enough to drop the engine and do pretty much anything else. Be safe and enjoy...
drem914
QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 7 2020, 12:36 PM) *

agree.gif
I love mine. Really great solution if you don't have a high enough ceiling in your garage for a 4 post. And I just use the one set of taller rubber blocks. Lifts plenty high enough to drop the engine and do pretty much anything else. Be safe and enjoy...

Agree, We also use it for our Boxster and BMW 328I for oil changes, all with the tall blocks.
draganc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 7 2020, 12:29 PM) *

100% agree.gif
Cairo94507
Absolutely. I always lift it off the ground a few inches and then walk around the car pulling and pushing on all 4 corners. Safety first. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
Nice piece of equipment smile.gif What does each side weigh ? How do you store them when not in use; and, how are they raised ?
mlindner
any chance that is high enough to pull engine.
iankarr
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 8 2020, 06:37 AM) *

any chance that is high enough to pull engine.

Yep. Just pull off the rear valance. Easy.
bdstone914
Make sure when lowering the car that both release catches are pulled. I was doing a demo of one in a parking lot that was not entirely flat. One catch was not pulled and the BMW quickly started to list to one side. Would not have been a good demo to put a nice BMW on its side.
wobbletop
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 8 2020, 07:25 AM) *

Nice piece of equipment smile.gif What does each side weigh ? How do you store them when not in use; and, how are they raised ?

I've had one for a while.

Each side is maybe 80lb? You wouldn't want to carry them around too long, but they have roller wheels on one end so you don't have to lift them.

They stay beside my car all summer since I'm always changing wheels/brakes. They are not very high to step over. In the winter, once the winter tires are on, I just lean them up against the garage wall.

There is a separate hydraulic pump with dry fit connections. If the car is going to be on the lift for a while, I'll disconnect the hoses so I'm not stepping over them all the time.

I love mine. Got them on sale at Costco.
drem914
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Dec 8 2020, 06:47 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 8 2020, 07:25 AM) *

I've had one for a while.

Each side is maybe 80lb? You wouldn't want to carry them around too long, but they have roller wheels on one end so you don't have to lift them.

They stay beside my car all summer since I'm always changing wheels/brakes. They are not very high to step over. In the winter, once the winter tires are on, I just lean them up against the garage wall.

There is a separate hydraulic pump with dry fit connections. If the car is going to be on the lift for a while, I'll disconnect the hoses so I'm not stepping over them all the time.

I love mine. Got them on sale at Costco.

I got them there last summer during a clearance. Mine stay under my car in the center when not in use, but you can get wall hooks to hang them on if you want. I have an area marked out with tape for storage) Very handy and sturdy. @Jim_Hoyland call me and I can go through any question you might have.
930cabman

Great reminder, habits can be good or not good. I have tried to develop the same, always give the car on the lift a good shake when it's a couple inches off the floor and never a breaker bar. Safety first, especially when under a 2000+ car
MM1
Can anyone compare the QJ to the EZ Car lift?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(MM1 @ Dec 8 2020, 12:23 PM) *

EZ Car lifts a little higher (26 inches)
Quick Jacks seem more stable.

I'll take strength and stability over 6 inches of lifting.

That said, I've used Quick Jacks, I've only seen EZ Car demoed.

In the end I bought a MaxJax 2 post on a black friday special last year. Its been world changing for my auto hobby.

Zach
914werke
@vaccarabite Zach can you opine on the ease or speed of setup on the MaxJack(MJ) vs the QuickJack (QJ)?
I think for the $ the QJ is GREAT & damn speedy to get a car up on compared to comparable height Jack stands. I just wish it was a bit taller.
I was looking hard at a set of MJ's. Did you mount them permanently?
MM1
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 8 2020, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(MM1 @ Dec 8 2020, 12:23 PM) *

EZ Car lifts a little higher (26 inches)
Quick Jacks seem more stable.

I'll take strength and stability over 6 inches of lifting.

That said, I've used Quick Jacks, I've only seen EZ Car demoed.

In the end I bought a MaxJax 2 post on a black friday special last year. Its been world changing for my auto hobby.

Zach

Thanks, Zach - appreciate your impressions.
wes
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 8 2020, 03:25 AM) *

I simply push each one to the center of the car for storage with the controller and pump to the rear as it sets a bit higher. One of the best tools in the garage and very safe if using properly.Click to view attachment
yeahmag
Anybody using these outdoors? I don't have a garage and would need to either leave them out or set them up and tear them down everytime. Just curious if that's harder or easier than using a jack and jack stands.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 8 2020, 01:20 PM) *

@vaccarabite Zach can you opine on the ease or speed of setup on the MaxJack(MJ) vs the QuickJack (QJ)?
I think for the $ the QJ is GREAT & damn speedy to get a car up on compared to comparable height Jack stands. I just wish it was a bit taller.
I was looking hard at a set of MJ's. Did you mount them permanently?

The first time you set up Quick Jacks, it will take an hour or two to put everything together and get your car in the air. I did this with Matt Plaskett several years ago, it was fun. I damn near bought a set as soon as I got home. If you don't think you want a 2 post lift, BUY THE QUICK JACKS! You will not be disappointed. Its more then enough height to get anything you want to get done on your 914 - and its really stable. Fantastic product.

All that said, I'm glad I spent the money and bought the MaxJax. And if my ceilings were higher, I would have bought a 9 foot 2post lift over the MaxJax.

I am just over 10 feet to the bottom of my joists. I can raise the 914 all the way up and not hit the ceiling. I can also raise my 4 runner all the way up and have about an inch to spare with the MaxJax. It. Is. Awesome! It may be the best tool I have ever bought for a car hobby, and I wish I had bought it 10 years ago. It is VERY stable. Any sports car is an afterthought on it. The position locks are crude but very strong and foolproof. You put a steel rod through holes in the frame and let the lift body sit on it. There are no ratchets that you would find on a commercial lift.

The MaxJax comes in a big crate on a pallet and it weighs a LOT. I set it up single handed over a weekend. It required renting a good hammer drill and bits - don't even consider trying to install this with a common battery handheld hammer drill. You are boring 7/8 inch holes into reinforced concrete - rent the right tools.

Honestly, the hardest part of installing the MaxJax was the mental part of laying out the anchors. It has to be square, or it will bind. I used string chalk lines to layout where everything was going to go, and checked it by driving the cars I wanted to lift between my markings on the floor - and then double checking by putting the posts into position for a mock up.

The second hardest part was unpacking it. They bolt the parts into the crate, and some of the bolts are hard to find. I'm fairly strong and a hidden lag screw had me questioning the usefulness of my lifting regimen. blink.gif Once that is done, its just moving things around and making leverage your bitch in order to move the heavy stuff into position. Or be smarter then me and give beer to friends so they will help.

With my MaxJax I set it up at (IIRC) 110 inches between the posts. Which is perfect for the 914, and I can get the 4Runner in there too - but I have to go out the back hatch. I eventually want to buy more anchors and put in another set of mounts so I can increase the width between centers.. Not at all hard, but I also have not done it yet.

Mine was the 1st gen MaxJax with only 2 locking points and not 6 like they have now. I did find an error in the instructions on laying out the anchors - so use common sense and mock that up before you start drilling holes.

Once using the MaxJax, the one thing you will wish is that the lines that run from the motor unit to the jack posts were about 4-6 feet longer. They work as is, but on larger vehicles (like my 5th gen 4Runner) the hydraulic lines get in the way sometimes. Its a small gripe - but its a gripe.

You can not get a 914 on to the pads of the MaxJax if you have the risers in place, and the risers are the difference between bumping my head on the engine cross bar and getting oil in my hair while rolling around on my stool. It is a very small price to pay, and one day I'll just get a slightly lower rolling stool.

So there is my opine on the two systems.

The Quick Jacks are really good, strong products easy to set up and easy to store.
The MaxJax is just better, though heavier and harder to store out of the way.

Zach
iankarr
Great summary of the max jax, Zach.

Here's a QJ setup video I made a few years ago....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U80_ymI9IPk...channel=IanKarr
draganc
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Dec 8 2020, 10:35 AM) *

Anybody using these outdoors? I don't have a garage and would need to either leave them out or set them up and tear them down everytime. Just curious if that's harder or easier than using a jack and jack stands.

The manual clearly stated it’s for indoor only and shall not be exposed to the elements.
I don’t see a particular reason not to use it outside as long as your work area is flat and sturdy.
bdstone914
@yeahmag

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Dec 8 2020, 12:35 PM) *

I think you wiuld want to keep the controls in a waterproof container. I bet the manufactuter says indoor use as the potential for rust could cause a part to fail. Coveribg the ramps with a trap would keep junk off of the hydraulic cylinders.

Freezin 914
Had a mid rise scissor lift, It was to tall to park over without ramps, to big to move around easily. It would be perfect if I had a permanent place to leave it. I ended up selling it. Just bought the QJ On Black Friday, chose it over the ez based on cost alone. Wanted the max jack, but didn’t want to drill into the concrete. Waiting on delivery.
913B
Some tips and request if I may.

1. Don't lift them higher than the first lock without any weight on them. Ask me how I know. They may not come back down until you put some weight on them like >300#. I stacked a few rim/tires and a few family members standing on them to get it down.

2. If it gets really hard to push the quick connections into the pump.
The trick is to hold the "down" button when pushing in the quick connectors.
It really helps.

Has anyone experience the QJ not responding when going down. I feel like I have to jiggle the button to go down. I have already bled the air and pump air into the cylinder per the instruction manual.

Is it because of something else on my QJ?

wobbletop
^^^

The air pressure in the cylinder brings them down. If they are not coming down, there's something wrong there.

Or maybe you don't have the top of the hydraulic tank vented?
mepstein
Bendpak purchased maxjax last year. They made a number of improvements and raised the price ~$500. That said, I've never regretted buying a good tool and a lift is something you should be able to use for years. You would be surprised by how many things you can use it for, other than lifting a car.

Nobody buys a lift and goes back to jack stands.

There are plenty of hydraulic shops and online places that stock longer hose or will make custom so you can get the lines off the floor and set the power unit in a convenient spot. Just one tip I saw was to put a 90% where the hose exits the arms so it doesn't stick out horizontal from the lifting arms. Ben mounted the power unit on the wall.

It's also pretty common in the Porsche world to have to lift your car a couple inches to put on a lift.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 8 2020, 11:35 PM) *

Bendpak purchased maxjax last year. They made a number of improvements and raised the price ~$500.

There are plenty of hydraulic shops and online places that stock longer hose or will make custom so you can get the lines off the floor and set the power unit in a convenient spot. Just one tip I saw was to put a 90% where the hose exits the arms so it doesn't stick out horizontal from the lifting arms. Ben mounted the power unit on the wall.

I saw that when I was looking around the other day. I'm not surprised one of the big companies bought them up. They have been dominating the garage lift market. Tis is probably why I got mine at a discount for 2019 black friday - they were likely trying to get rid of old inventory to make way for the new stuff. The MaxJax usually don't go on sale, and they tend to be backordered. I had to wait a few months for mine.

Zach
Stltri
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Dec 8 2020, 10:35 AM) *

I use it outdoors on the driveway half the time for more room. I just roll it out when needed and roll back in after use. You can hang it on the wall too. As others have said, dont leave outside, it will rust. Just make sure the QJ is resting on stable/level concrete before lifting the car. Caution with asphalt, the weight of car can cause indentation/sinking by the QJ. Btw, I have seen others use the QJ at the track using the 12VDC motor option, which you might like for your autoX events.

I find it easier to use jack/jackstands if Im servicing only one wheel, but if Im doing all four, the QJ is much easier. I use Esco jackstands to support the QJ platform if I will be working under the car, just for my peace of mind, although not necessary.
jesse7flying
I love my QJ for all the stuff I do at home. My only disappointment was that the thing was not long enough to lift at the correct jacking points on my Boxster nor my 996. I guess that's because I bought the 5000 vs the 7000 model?
Stltri
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Dec 9 2020, 08:02 AM) *

I love my QJ for all the stuff I do at home. My only disappointment was that the thing was not long enough to lift at the correct jacking points on my Boxster nor my 996. I guess that's because I bought the 5000 vs the 7000 model?

Theres actually an extension you can add on top of the existing platform to extend far enough for your other cars. I actually wished I bought the shorter one with the extender because I have the opposite problem, my current QJ is too long for a shorter car/jackpoint.
Stltri
QUOTE(913B @ Dec 8 2020, 07:49 PM) *

Has anyone experience the QJ not responding when going down. I feel like I have to jiggle the button to go down. I have already bled the air and pump air into the cylinder per the instruction manual.

Is it because of something else on my QJ?

Funny you posted this question.. I also noticed this lately that the buttons dont respond occasionally (either up or down), which I suspect may be the controller buttons themselves that has faulty contact points. I dont think its the hydraulics. Was thinking of opening up the controller and spraying some electrical cleaner spray in there if it acts up again.
eric9144
I bought my QJ after @iankarr posted his video (he should be getting commissions) beerchug.gif

Its honestly a garage game changer, had to change out my fuel pump last weekend, mine is mounted down on my steering rack so the front end has to come up, used to use wheel ramps and you don't get very much room to work etc. and if the car can't move on it's own you have a massive PITA getting it on the ramps.

This last time I had the QJ set up and car in the air in like 15 minutes---the only thing I have to add is that if you have a set of ESCO jack stands you can add another level of emergency stop by scooting them under the back edge "just in case" anything were to fail etc, can never be too safe.

Click to view attachment
iankarr
Thanks @eric9144 . They don't even send me a holiday card wink.gif. In your pic above, you can see one big benefit of QJ...it's portable. You can use it wherever you need it.
brcacti
I like any jack but always use wood boards under the car when working on them for safety
Mueller
I was hooking up my QuickJack this afternoon and was having trouble connecting one side of the hoses...a trip to Youtube and my issue was resolved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW2KBxwK8rM

Pic of car right behind me smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 9 2020, 10:27 AM) *

Thanks @eric9144 . They don't even send me a holiday card wink.gif. In your pic above, you can see one big benefit of QJ...it's portable. You can use it wherever you need it.

Yep, I usually work on the 914 in the single car garage, not wide enough to open up doors all the way. big pain sometimes.

Today the quickjack is in the 2 car garage with plenty of room to open doors and crawl around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.