Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem with Rennshift hitting floor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hars914
I was installing my new Rennshift shifter today and ran into a problem.I adjusted
the shifter for the 30% throw and when I went to install it I noticed the clevis
was hitting the floor pan and prevented the shifter from sitting flush on the tunnel.
Has anyone had this problem?? Will I have to fab a spacer similar to the Weltmeister
kit? I installed it with the 20% throw and it fit fine. It also was a real bitch getting
the shifting right. I would get 1 thru 4 fine but it was not going into 5th.When I got it into 5th It would not go into 3rd. I finally got a happy medium and plan on test
driving tommorow.Any thoughts on adjusting the pattern?
SirAndy
QUOTE (hars914 @ Jul 16 2005, 04:56 PM)
I noticed the clevis was hitting the floor pan and prevented the shifter from sitting flush on the tunnel.
Has anyone had this problem??

i just used 2 thick washer under each bolt. werks fine ...

Kerrys914
unsure.gif Strange. I have the 1st gen shifter and it works great. The finish is teh onlything I didn't like but it fits and shifts great smile.gif

I can shoot a photo of mine if you like.
Rand
I have a stock shifter in good condition, guaranteed to work. I'll trade you straight across, and even pay shipping both ways! biggrin.gif

Dang, I wish I had your problem. beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
Guy's.. it doesnt take much to dent the tub from the bottom. Take a small block of wood and push the pan back down. I would imagine this is the problem. The biggest issue I have seen with the shifter... some of them hit the clutch tube (if it was improperly repaired after breaking in the past) The bottom will swing out when you go for 4th gear and hit the clutch tube if the tube is not in its proper place.

B
ChrisFoley
I think its possible to assemble incorrectly, with the pivot in the wrong hole IIRC. This causes it to sit too low in the housing.
Brad Roberts
I havent seen his "newest version" I know they are adjustable, but all they *should* be able to do is adjust where the fulcrum point is. Any pics?

B
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jul 16 2005, 09:58 PM)
I havent seen his "newest version" I know they are adjustable, but all they *should* be able to do is adjust where the fulcrum point is. Any pics?

B

There are two mounting holes in the housing so the shift knob stays at the same height regardless of the ratio.
Brad Roberts
I see said the blindman.

B
Aaron Cox
mine was close to the floor...but didnt hit. great time to check your clutch tube also smile.gif

BTW - they rock smile.gif

hars914
According to the instructions I had to remove the shift lever and move the
bushing from the bottom hole to the top hole. I set it back in the housing and
screwed to the original mounting hole that I remove it from. You are right Chris there are also 2 holes in the housing.I mounted it back in the hole I removed it from.
I will pull it today and reinstall the lever in the upper hole of the housing.
RON S.
I got my new one over the weekend.

Mine is the 911 style for my 915 box.

The shifter came with an approx 3/4" thick spacer glued under the back to mounting holes.
I didn't know what it was for,as I thought all 3 hold down points would sit flush with the floor.

I took it off,only to put it back on.The back end of my unit does sit pretty high off the floor.with it flush,the shift rod would bind.with is raised,it shifts fine.

Just looks kinda dorky,it'll be covered by carpet though.

I'll take some pics tonight to let ya'll see what I mean.
Ron
JWest
QUOTE (RON S. @ Jul 18 2005, 08:12 AM)
I got my new one over the weekend.

Mine is the 911 style for my 915 box.

The shifter came with an approx 3/4" thick spacer glued under the back to mounting holes.
I didn't know what it was for,as I thought all 3 hold down points would sit flush with the floor.

I took it off,only to put it back on.The back end of my unit does sit pretty high off the floor.with it flush,the shift rod would bind.with is raised,it shifts fine.

Just looks kinda dorky,it'll be covered by carpet though.

I'll take some pics tonight to let ya'll see what I mean.
Ron

No, the shifter should sit flat to the floor. You need to move the support bracket under the floor, not sitting on top.
RON S.
QUOTE (James Adams @ Jul 18 2005, 06:00 AM)

No, the shifter should sit flat to the floor. You need to move the support bracket under the floor, not sitting on top.

The problem that I have,has nothing to do with the shifter itself.

Rather,it is the fact that during my resto,I needed to replace the entire shifter console because my original unit was so badly rusted out.

The unit I replaced it with was with one from a later unit side shift car.There is a bulkhead down inside there that is causing my shift rod to ride high thru the console.I can see it when I look thru the exit hole in the firewall.I didn't know there'd be any interference issues,but ya find these things,with every turn of the wheel.

I will be figuring a way to remove that bulkhead,then everything should be up to snuff..

Ron
soloracer
James,

Where are you in regards to delivery times on new shifters? I know a few months ago you weren't taking new orders until you took care of the back log. Just looking for an update is all.

Thanks,

Erik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.