Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What’s the Latest on LED Headlight Conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
BillJ
@yellowporky do you have pictures of installed finished product? Do they protrude in housing?
yellowporky
These use Hella H4 housings so no
Click to view attachment
BillJ
Cool. Ordered.
horizontally-opposed
Just ordered, as well.
bkrantz
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 25 2020, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 18 2020, 10:23 AM) *

I went with the simple version from Vintage Led because i did not want the large heat sink or the added converter box
Maybe not the best performer but it has to be better than stock.
They arrive today so i hope to install soon.
https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vcm3...-headlight-kit/

Thanks! (sorry I missed the earlier post)
Montreal914
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 25 2020, 04:41 PM) *

Install was as easy as changing a light bulb since these were the simple plug and play H4 with the Hella lenses.

I am very impressed with the output of the lights and the low beam cut off is very crisp compared to my old sylvania sealed bulbs.

Not sure I fully understand what you had before. Did you install the LED bulbs in your already installed Hella H4 housings, or your replaced your sealed beams by both the H4 housing and LED bulbs?

Very appealing option to keep the Hella housing as I personally like them. So, I understand the LEDs are much better than the sealed beams, but are they a lot better than the standard halogen 55W H4 bulbs?

Thank you for sharing the info! beerchug.gif
yellowporky
I had a pair of sealed beam Sylvania bulbs from 1986. They were very yellow and not very bright. When you order from Vintage Led you can choose to upgrade to the Hella H4 lens over the basic included one. I imaging if you already have the lens you could simply install their led bulb in it.
When you ask if the Led is better that a 55 watt H4 i would have to say 100% yes due to the low draw for the same light output. I cringe at the thought of running high power through our old electrical systems
yellowporky
Finally got to drive the car tonight and the difference is significant. Used to be scary to drive at night on dark roads now like a normal car
BillJ
on dark roads i needed to use the pilot lights to get even moderate visibility compared to the stock headlights. From a safety point of view it is a must for me.
76-914
I can remember when one could tell by the approaching car's headlights whether it had a 6v or 12v electrical system. And a few years later if someone had a 12v generator or alternator if the headlights dimmed when they let off the gas. slits.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 16 2020, 04:00 PM) *

One of my winter items is to install LED lights in place of my old sealed beams.

These are a little pricier than other options, but I like the look.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZYAP0M/ref=au...Type=automotive

Installed these today. They are truly plug & play. I like the look and they don't protrude further than stock. I was still using sealed beams...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Anyone have trouble with LED headlights icing up? Put a set on my wife's Jeep thinking I'd do the same to my 914. But, first day we had some snow a few weeks ago the snow piled up and blocked the headlights. This made them pretty much useless.

I ordered and installed a set of Hella H4's. Only warm to the touch, but is that the key to stopping ice or snow from building up on headlights? Just that little bit of warmth?
yellowporky
Makes sense since the led does not put out much heat
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 31 2020, 10:03 AM) *

Anyone have trouble with LED headlights icing up? Put a set on my wife's Jeep thinking I'd do the same to my 914. But, first day we had some snow a few weeks ago the snow piled up and blocked the headlights. This made them pretty much useless.

I ordered and installed a set of Hella H4's. Only warm to the touch, but is that the key to stopping ice or snow from building up on headlights? Just that little bit of warmth?

It looks like they sell heated LED headlights, if that is a concern. They aren't cheap. I doubt I will ever drive my 914 in the snow at night, though, so I'll pass on the heated versions.

https://www.4statetrucks.com/lighting/semi-...-xoC1yMQAvD_BwE
mepstein
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 28 2020, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 16 2020, 04:00 PM) *

One of my winter items is to install LED lights in place of my old sealed beams.

These are a little pricier than other options, but I like the look.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZYAP0M/ref=au...Type=automotive

Installed these today. They are truly plug & play. I like the look and they don't protrude further than stock. I was still using sealed beams...

Bob - I think you will be blown away at the difference. Especially since you use your car more than just a sunny day driver.
stevend914
I've been looking to install LED headlights in my 1970 but when I go to the Vintage Car led website they show fitment for 1972-1976.

Any suggestions on led installation for a 1970
bdstone914
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Jan 5 2021, 10:13 AM) *

I've been looking to install LED headlights in my 1970 but when I go to the Vintage Car led website they show fitment for 1972-1976.

they will fit all years. No differences on 70-72 cars that affect the headlights.

@stevend914
ClayPerrine
Betty and I have 3 914s between us. All of them run spoke's LED external lighting and 914Rubber's LED headlight bulbs in the Hella H4 housings. Those products are great, and they make a significant difference in visibility from both inside and outside the car.

We even did the factory six, as both products are easily reversible and require no drilling or modifying in any way.

I just wish I had a good third brake light solution.

Clay
iankarr
Some installation tips and brightness comparisons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkTa0JSenk0
mmichalik
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jan 5 2021, 10:34 AM) *

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for posting it!
stevend914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 5 2021, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Jan 5 2021, 10:13 AM) *

they will fit all years. No differences on 70-72 cars that affect the headlights.

@stevend914

OK, thanks for that info
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jan 5 2021, 12:34 PM) *

Nice video, Ian! I've watched several of your other ones. Love the Ravenna Green, which was my first choice. Anyhow, I've got to finish installing the headlights I got tonight and post on the final results.

A few notes: I did remove the turn signal lenses to get to the screw on the outside of the headlight trim. It only takes a minute to remove the lenses, and it kept me from stripping the head of the screw (mine was a little tight). Secondly, I wish I had viewed the video before because removing the relay would have saved me from having the headlights close when I had them apart (due to my own fault!). Third, when I removed the headlight trim, the painted headlight covers came off as well. I'm not sure if I'm missing a screw there, or if you simply didn't bother to take them off. But, it gave me a chance to clean and inspect those pieces. Fourth, you don't need to leave off the headlight trim to reach the adjustment screws when aiming as there are holes in the trim. But, since you already had them off, it makes sense to wait to re-install the trim until after aiming as I'm sure having the trim off makes it easier to access the adjusting screws.

Thanks again for the info and the great videos!
iankarr
QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Jan 5 2021, 02:17 PM) *

...Third, when I removed the headlight trim, the painted headlight covers came off as well. I'm not sure if I'm missing a screw there, or if you simply didn't bother to take them off.
Thanks again for the info and the great videos!

Thanks, Frunk! Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're missing a screw...on the headlight cover wink.gif. lol.

The painted part should stay with the bucket. But you're right...always good to get in there to clean and inspect. Also great point about the holes in the surrounds allowing you to adjust while they're installed. I didn't want to go fishin' for the somewhat rusty philips heads, so I chose to leave the surrounds off until I was done.

I just read your signature...nice stable! My very first car was a 77 X 1/9. It broke down on my way to the prom and I fixed it in my tuxedo. But I loved that car.
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jan 5 2021, 01:44 PM) *

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're missing a screw...

For some reason, I get that a lot. confused24.gif biggrin.gif
FRUNKenstein
I ended up buying a set of Grote (grow-tee) LED headlights from Advance Auto Parts. They keep them in stock at the stores, so I put in an order for pickup and had them in hand 30 minutes later. They are $130 each, but Advance Auto always has promo codes out there. With tax, I paid $219 for the pair. They fit perfectly and look good. The difference in light output is tremendous. Easy upgrade with significant improvement for not a lot of money! Thanks for all of the advice!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mikey914
I will be finishing my evaluation of the new sets we just got in later this week and if we are happy they will be listed up. I only have a few sets but can have mor in about 10 days pending the lighting being checked for high / low and QC.

Mark
preach
QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Dec 31 2020, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 31 2020, 10:03 AM) *

It looks like they sell heated LED headlights, if that is a concern. They aren't cheap. I doubt I will ever drive my 914 in the snow at night, though, so I'll pass on the heated versions.

https://www.4statetrucks.com/lighting/semi-...-xoC1yMQAvD_BwE

You want to run these in the winter you will want heated.

I did my 2003 Tacoma with new globes and LEDs they freeze. A wet sloppy snow and driving mph will ice over. So nice though when not frozen. I think I am going to put LED aux lights and run the normal H4 bulb.

For 7" round on 4 of my other cars I am planning on pick n pull Jeep lights since they should be heated.
ctc911ctc
I bought a pair of hawks prior to Christmas - found a guy that was selling two for 220.

When the box arrived I wrapped it for my son as a Christmas gift. When he opened it there was only ONE light. Embarrassing.

But being fast on my feet I told him the other is back-ordered.......... santa_smiley.gif

Sooo, I went back to the vendor - not too good with the American - and he responded that his advertisement said he had two to sell, to his credit he said he would take it back. However, I think I will keep it since it works very well. Oh and he sold the other one.....grrrrrrr

BTW - you need to disconnect both headlamps from the circuit prior to putting the LED into the circuit - ask me how I know! sad.gif dry.gif shades.gif

So now I have a one-eyed LED monster - need to find another Hawk!

type.gif

horizontally-opposed
For those of you who have installed LED bulbs (not complete LED units)—and particularly those of you who have driven significant miles at night with them—do any of you have regrets? It doesn't seem like it, but trying to square the comments below vs. the almost universal praise…

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tec...-code-lens.html

"I've personally witnessed 2 single car accidents where the LED headlights probably contributed significantly to the accident. One was a vehicle that struck a fallen tree that was across the road after the storm. I rode the passenger seat into that one and it wasn't fun at all. Neither the driver nor I saw the tree in time, and his "LED retrofit" lights were a definite contributor to our distance blindness which caused the wreck. The vehicle was totaled. The other was a vehicle I let pass me because his lights annoyed me, and about a mile further down the road, he struck a parked trailer (home made landscaping trailer with no reflectors). I definitely saw the obstacle before he did, and he was a hundred yards or more in front of me.

"The problem with those lights is that they throw out too much light, and too much of the light that they generate is too close to your car. Your pupils constrict and you have very little distance vision with them, so you hit stuff you would see with lights that are less bright and less glaring."
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 17 2021, 10:18 AM) *

For those of you who have installed LED bulbs (not complete LED units)—and particularly those of you who have driven significant miles at night with them—do any of you have regrets? It doesn't seem like it, but trying to square the comments below vs. the almost universal praise…

"I've personally witnessed 2 single car accidents where the LED headlights probably contributed significantly to the accident. One was a vehicle that struck a fallen tree that was across the road after the storm. I rode the passenger seat into that one and it wasn't fun at all. Neither the driver nor I saw the tree in time, and his "LED retrofit" lights were a definite contributor to our distance blindness which caused the wreck. The vehicle was totaled. The other was a vehicle I let pass me because his lights annoyed me, and about a mile further down the road, he struck a parked trailer (home made landscaping trailer with no reflectors). I definitely saw the obstacle before he did, and he was a hundred yards or more in front of me.

"The problem with those lights is that they throw out too much light, and too much of the light that they generate is too close to your car. Your pupils constrict and you have very little distance vision with them, so you hit stuff you would see with lights that are less bright and less glaring."

That's a good topic to discuss. I would think that, given the wide availability of complete replacement units at a very reasonable cost (under $250 for the set), it would be best to replace the entire headlight unit rather than just installing an LED bulb in the existing housing/lens. I'm no expert, but it would avoid the problem that the Corvette guys are discussing in that thread.
Unpretentious
These are the headlights I installed on my ‘73 1.7 a couple nights ago. They’re certainly a cleaner, brighter beam. OEM fog lights seem to work just fine, though they look pretty dingy compared to the LED’s. They were a simple “plug and play” with no rear clearance problems or “bulging” in the front. Manufacturer quality control isn’t the best. When adjusted the best I could, the left low beam was slightly higher than the right, but on high beam, it was slightly lower?? They’re just fine for my daily driver, but when I replace the headlights on the Creamsicle and the Six I’ll likely go for a more authentic look and pay much more too!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Feb 17 2021, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 17 2021, 10:18 AM) *

That's a good topic to discuss. I would think that, given the wide availability of complete replacement units at a very reasonable cost (under $250 for the set), it would be best to replace the entire headlight unit rather than just installing an LED bulb in the existing housing/lens. I'm no expert, but it would avoid the problem that the Corvette guys are discussing in that thread.

This is exactly right. You have to go with a housing that was designed to be used with LED bulbs. This is fairly easy on a 914 since they use a standard 7 inch bulb that is still common today. For other vehicles (like my 4Runner) there are not housings that are made for LEDs readily available (and the ones that are cost over $1000). That is the situation where people are putting LED bulbs in H4 housings and getting dangerous light patterns as a result.

With the 7 inch bulbs we use, we can even get heated LED housings since these things are meant for daily driven vehicles that need heat to keep the headlights clear in shitty weather.

Zach
Mikey914
The LEDs that fit into housings do require alignment. They have defined light patterns (at least the ones we have tested and sell), this is also why we sell the housings that we have tested.

The complete units are no exception, improperly aimed they are just as dangerous.

The key is proper installation WITH alignment.
No way around that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.