Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
I fired up my brand new 2056 and after my engine break in (12 minutes) I had a texas sized puddle under my car (im guessing a quart). It came from the oil cooler side, in that area. I dont know if pics would even help, but is there any way to check that my oil cooler seals seated properly? Originially I thought my galley plug wasnt fully seated (i drilled and tapped the galleys), but that appears to be snug. Or is there possibly something else in the area that would leak?
SirAndy
QUOTE (MattR @ Jul 16 2005, 07:49 PM)
Or is there possibly something else in the area that would leak?

oil pressure sender ...
oil filter ...
MattR
Its not the sender, I just checked (bone dry).

The leak looks like it starts above the filter, right next to the cooler, or in that area. Is there any way for me to check the oil cooler seals and stuff? I took extra care in putting those things in, but maybe I still fuched it up sad.gif
scotty b
dry.gif Oh for the love of Pete. Britt has taken over your screenname. RUNNNNNN laugh.gif
Tom Perso
Hell yes - I'd say oil cooler seals. What a PIA to put in, AND get them right. I usually use some Anarobic sealer (Hylomar) to stick the SOB's on, then be real careful with putting the cooler on.

You know what do to next.

Tom
bd1308
if its not the sender, it's the oil cooler seals. my huge (2qt a day leak) was the sender.....

i have a smaller leak, but i'll wait a bit till i get the oil cooler seals....and at the same time, i'll order my pushrod tube seals. viton, of course wink.gif
MattR
Have you done oil cooler seals with the engine in? Or does it require another engine drop...
914forme
It can be done in the car. Yeah it can if yo have small hands

Birdboard has an article on it.
MattR
I just took out the seals and covered them with Permatex 3H (they were dry before) and I STILL have a leak.

So far I see:

the leak is coming from the oil cooler area

its below the oil pressure sender

it starts above the oil filter

i just went through the oil cooler seals.

is there anything else there that may be leaking??? Im really stuck
bd1308
and you re-did the galley plugs?

i dont recall anything else being there that leaks....
SGB
Ive gone through a series of valve cover gasket failures that released collassal amounts of oil. I also was certain it was the oil cooler seals and went through almost the entire replacement before I replaced the gasket, which had curled up away from the seating area- either an installation error or faulty gasket (uh, somehow...).
so anyway- check that right side gasket.
bd1308
right side is more prone to oil leaks anyway--less cooling efficiency.
Joe Bob
Did the cooler itself get pressure checked?
MattR
I got a brand new cooler from CB
MattR
QUOTE (SGB @ Jul 17 2005, 07:04 PM)
Ive gone through a series of valve cover gasket failures that released collassal amounts of oil. I also was certain it was the oil cooler seals and went through almost the entire replacement before I replaced the gasket, which had curled up away from the seating area- either an installation error or faulty gasket (uh, somehow...).
so anyway- check that right side gasket.

Good suggestion. I was going to check that last night while I was in there, but I had to make a quick run to the ER headbang.gif

all is well though and i'll get back under there on thursday to check that out along with the source for the leak (i blasted the area after i gouped up the seals and ran it, so only new oil should be there).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.