Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of Transmission Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Superhawk996
I bought a tool from another member that was represented as a P225 equivalent engagement tooth removal tool. Unfortunately it is not an equivalent.

The width of the land that is supposed to mate in the circlip groove of the engagment teeth is too wide. Internal diameter is appropriate and the 2nd part that would be used to press the gear body is the right diamater. It's just that the land width is too wide to be used on 901 gear sets.

Tool is marked BTU P284S. Doesn't really show any signs of prior use. Guess I know know why it was unused. headbang.gif

Google not turning up any real info. Wondering if this might be a tool for 915 1st gear but honestly I've never worked on a 915 trans so I have no point of reference about what is different with a 915 1st gear. I only know it is different.

Anyway, I could modify the tool on my mill to work but honestly, it just pisses me off to have to modify a tool when I thought I was buying a P225 equivalent tool and the time it will take to set up and modify is more lost time & effort than just buying a new P225 tool.

Anyone know what the tool is? Literally looks just like a P225 too. @Dr Evil
Dr Evil
915 P226 for some of the lower gears in a 915.
Montreal914
I notice the P225 on the left has the same dog teeth marking on it as mine does after using it. I was concerned after I used mine a while back then figured the steel on the tool is softer than the gear box part, but still...

Why didn’t they made the tool so it would clear the teeth? confused24.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 27 2020, 01:29 PM) *

I notice the P225 on the left has the same dog teeth marking on it as mine does after using it. I was concerned after I used mine a while back then figured the steel on the tool is softer than the gear box part, but still...

Why didn’t they made the tool so it would clear the teeth? confused24.gif

Mine is 16yrs old and has been very well used, like over a thousand times wink.gif
Superhawk996
@Dr Evil Thanks for response.

I guess it will remain a mystery since P226 tool looks to have a larger ID than P225.

I can't find any Google hits on this paperweight. Probably some China made imitation of a P225 made improperly with the wrong land width to fit 901 dog teeth. sad.gif

By the way -- your video is both informative and entertainment. Love some of the one liners you slip in there! happy11.gif aktion035.gif
altitude411
ebay add is no longer up... I did find this little bit on the bird.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...tml#post7419176
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 27 2020, 02:38 PM) *

@Dr Evil Thanks for response.

I guess it will remain a mystery since P226 tool looks to have a larger ID than P225.

I can't find any Google hits on this paperweight. Probably some China made imitation of a P225 made improperly with the wrong land width to fit 901 dog teeth. sad.gif

By the way -- your video is both informative and entertainment. Love some of the one liners you slip in there! happy11.gif aktion035.gif

Glad you like the DVD smile.gif

I looked all around and cant find a mention of that tool or number in any type of catalog for any make or model. Any pics or measurements?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.