Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tie rod question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
In the Pelican 911 world...the general practice is too replace used tie rods with turbo tie rods. As I put my 6 back together I see that both tie rods are in good shape, but could use some love and a re-paint. What is the consensus on re-using tie rods on our 914s?
It is basically the exact same steering rack as the early 911s. And on my 911 I usually do the bump steering modification to allow a little bit more ride adjustment without compromising the steering geometry. Advice?
bkrantz
I rebuilt the original tie rods, with the bushings from 914 Rubber. I am months away from driving, so can't comment on effectiveness.
914Sixer
If it is an original car, keep it stock. Otherwise turbo tie rods are a little smoother.
BillJ
Change them. They improve the handling feel dramatically and are a no-brainer. Save the old ones if you want to keep them with the car for originality sake. Unless you are competing in national level concourse, then keep them on the car.
brant
I say change them also
but its not my money....

however even with new boots... they are old and likely worn

The turbos work so well
you still need to drive my black car with 5 bolt suspension and brakes

brant
mepstein
With your modded suspension and brakes, I can’t imagine you wouldn’t use the turbo rods.
pete000
Turbo tie rods are worth it.
914_teener
QUOTE(Speedo @ Dec 28 2020, 04:50 PM) *

In the Pelican 911 world...the general practice is too replace used tie rods with turbo tie rods. As I put my 6 back together I see that both tie rods are in good shape, but could use some love and a re-paint. What is the consensus on re-using tie rods on our 914s?
It is basically the exact same steering rack as the early 911s. And on my 911 I usually do the bump steering modification to allow a little bit more ride adjustment without compromising the steering geometry. Advice?

So original six?

Original set up or is your car a conversion?

If it is a conversion there is NO good reason not to use the TT rods if you are using a non-stock set up. So if the stance is altered from stock I'd definatly put the rack spacers in and set up the TT rods.

Also....tires and struts would be also be useful to know what you are using if you want advice.

If you are restoring an original six I'd leave it alone or rebuild the stock units.
Speedo
So original six?
Yes
If it is a conversion there is NO good reason not to use the TT rods if you are using a non-stock set up. So if the stance is altered from stock I'd definatly put the rack spacers in and set up the TT rods.
I always lower my cars to suit my taste so I plan to use the spacers regardless.

Also....tires and struts would be also be useful to know what you are using if you want advice.
PO was an auto-x-er and I have not evaluated what the suspension modifications were...just planned to re-use. He was running huge brakes up front with 21 sway bars. I will run 15 x 6s with 205 50 15s all around.

If you are restoring an original six I'd leave it alone or rebuild the stock units.
It is original, but after being restored, it will be driven. Inclined to go the TT route.
If I ever sell the tie rods are easy to swap back out. I don't show my cars.
bkrantz
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 29 2020, 07:00 AM) *

If it is an original car, keep it stock. Otherwise turbo tie rods are a little smoother.

I read some comments that suggest the opposite. The turbo ends have less compliance and are more "responsive" but also conduct more vibrations.
914_teener
QUOTE(Speedo @ Dec 29 2020, 05:25 PM) *

So original six?
Yes
I always lower my cars to suit my taste so I plan to use the spacers regardless.

PO was an auto-x-er and I have not evaluated what the suspension modifications were...just planned to re-use. He was running huge brakes up front with 21 sway bars. I will run 15 x 6s with 205 50 15s all around.

It is original, but after being restored, it will be driven. Inclined to go the TT route.
If I ever sell the tie rods are easy to swap back out. I don't show my cars.

I ran those same tires. If it is a driver it is one of the better changes for the money and time. The steering feedback is like night and day.....so for a driver.....do it you wont regret it. I ran a stock sway bar with adustable Tarret drop links instead of the stock ones.
BillJ
Unless you are having the car judged in concourse events and/or have to have it exactly like original and are only trailering the car get the turbo tie rods. Its a much better driving experience. I doubt anyone will be like "yeah its such a nice car but did you hear he put turbo tie rods on it? Such a shame."
Luke M
Install the turbo units and forget about it. You will not regret it. Plus you'll need a special tool to setup the factory units where the TT you will not. You will need to get a thin wrench to install the inner turbo tie rod. I forget the size but I bought mine at a local bike shop. Do not destroy the steel bands on your old set as you'll need them.
mepstein
QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 30 2020, 07:37 AM) *

Install the turbo units and forget about it. You will not regret it. Plus you'll need a special tool to setup the factory units where the TT you will not. You will need to get a thin wrench to install the inner turbo tie rod. I forget the size but I bought mine at a local bike shop. Do not destroy the steel bands on your old set as you'll need them.

15mm pedal wrench.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.