Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 6 OEM heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
Anyone have personal experience with new production OEM type 914 6
heat exchangers ?
There were teething problems .....what's the latest ?
Mark Henry
Last I heard they fixed the issues with the first batch. They are good for stock but they are 1-3/8" OD tubing, so a major restriction for any bigger or higher HP than stock app.

I've got a 3.0 perfomance engine, as much as I want heat stock HE's would be a hugh step backwards for me.
horizontally-opposed
I've also heard that the fitment problems have been fixed, and that they are (or were being) shipped with jigs bolted in place.

With that said, and as much as I like their correct appearance (for all those times I'm under my car these days... unsure.gif ), I'd have to go with @mb911's HEs. Superior materials, beautiful craftsmanship, and a choice in pipe diameter, ability to have bungs for 02 sensors added, etc.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 8 2021, 08:51 AM) *

heat exchangers ?

Where did you find them? Link please....

Mark Henry
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 8 2021, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 8 2021, 08:51 AM) *

heat exchangers ?

Where did you find them? Link please....

Stoddards, RD etc., made by Dansk IIRC, they make the new /4 SSI's and for the 911 SSI as well.

Not new porsche, but OE quality copy from a Porsche supplier. They bought SSI.
mb911
At $3700 that is an incredible amount of money for a sub par collector but it does fit the oem look.. shoot mine are $2200 and now use a f1 merge collector and they are still a bunch of money
Steve
Last year, I saw a set at the Stoddard booth at the Phoenix club. They look just like the factory one's but were missing some of the screw tabs. They are only useful for stock 2.0 engines maybe a 2.2? My 3.2 ran night and day better when I switched from the stock six heat exchangers to Ben's (MB911) 1 5/8th's heat exchangers. I think stock is like 1 1/4"?
IronHillRestorations
Original factory HE's will work on mild 3.0's but you're giving up top end power and getting a bit more low end torque. Bruce Anderson told me that the 3.0 referenced in his book to get over 200hp was using 914-6 heat exchangers.

If you do more aggressive cams or bigger carbs, stock HE's are too small.
johnhora
@mb911

Ben...what does the f1 merge collector look like compared to the stock.
mb911
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jan 9 2021, 02:11 PM) *

@mb911

Click to view attachment

Like this
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2021, 05:13 PM) *

@mb911

Click to view attachment

Like this

What's the advantage? More expensive?
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 9 2021, 03:05 PM) *

@mb911

Click to view attachment

Like this

So actually cheaper but they are able to scavenge exhaust gasses and produce more power. Its what is often called the Burns style collector
johnhora
OK...thanks very much for the pics and info.
I know it has a lot to do with gas extraction of the pulses of each cylinder in the firing order etc etc..
Not trying to get into the theory and such. I've read a little on it until my head hurts smile.gif
Are there any clearance issues with this type on the 914?
Any dyno comparisons.
Thanks...

Cairo94507
wub.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jan 9 2021, 06:20 PM) *

OK...thanks very much for the pics and info.
I know it has a lot to do with gas extraction of the pulses of each cylinder in the firing order etc etc..
Not trying to get into the theory and such. I've read a little on it until my head hurts smile.gif
Are there any clearance issues with this type on the 914?
Any dyno comparisons.
Thanks...

Marty at MSDS uses a similar collector, no clearance issues.

Ben's the only real game in town if you need big /6 pipes and heat, and that they're well made is the bonus.

The repop heat exchangers are a reasonable facsimile if you're building a stock 2.0 914/6.
rgalla9146

I'm lucky to have some excellent originals but wanted to know the state of affairs
if / when I don't.
The repros appear to be missing a couple original attachments.
$3700. !
With a 3.0 in my future heat + performance = aftermarket.....it's great there is a
quality cost effective alternative.
Thanks all
Steve
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 9 2021, 06:40 PM) *

I'm lucky to have some excellent originals but wanted to know the state of affairs
if / when I don't.
$3700. !
With a 3.0 in my future heat + performance = aftermarket.....it's great there is a
Thanks all

Unless it’s a concours original 914-6, I wouldn’t waste my money on 1 1/4” heat exchangers on a motor bigger than a 2.4. When I installed my first 2.7 six in my 914 back in 1987, Marty at MSDS recommended his 1 5/8” headers and muffler. That car with PMO 40 Weber’s ran awesome! That engine revved up faster than I could blip the throttle. Good times!! The B&B 1 5/8” heat exchangers produce little heat and the quality is not consistent. I have seen crooked pipes which produces a crooked muffler. Bens 1 5/8” SS heat exchangers produced the same amount of heat as the stock heat exchangers and runs much better on my current euro stock 3.2.
Cairo94507
Yeah, the B&B are a waste of money. Every set I have seen look poorly made. For the life of me I can't figure out why PMS uses them on their large motor builds. For me, Ben's @mb911 heat exchangers and mufflers are the ticket.
burton73

if / when I don't.
$3700. !
Thanks all

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...2800247/post258

Hi my Brothers,

I do not want to take anything from Ben’s super high-quality Heat Exchangers but rgalla9146
Asked and as long as he has factory HE for 6 he can have this mod done for his car. I have a 3.0 with 3.2 heads with 46 PMOs
Hi my Brothers,

I do not want to take anything from Ben’s super high-quality Heat Exchangers but rgalla9146
Asked and as long as he has factory HE for 6 he can have this mod done for his car. I have a 3.0 with 3.2 heads with 46 PMOs

We have not Dyno test yet but, Eric at PMB says 40, that’s 40 extra HP

Stay healthy and safe,

Bob B

Stay healthy and safe,

Bob B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
burton73

if / when I don't.
$3700. !
Thanks all

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...2800247/post258

Hi my Brothers,

Hi my Brothers,

We have not Dyno test yet but, Eric at PMB says 40, that’s 40 extra HP

Stay healthy and safe,

Bob B

Stay healthy and safe,

Bob B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
Bob - I think Eric is pulling your leg. The stock HE’s still have 1 1/2” od tubing up to the collector and from the dyno charts I’ve seen, going from ok headers to great headers gets you a 15-20hp increase on a built 3.2. I guess it will be hard to know without doing a back to back comparison on the same engine, same dyno, same day, etc.
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 10 2021, 01:00 PM) *

Bob - I think Eric is pulling your leg. The stock HE’s still have 1 1/2” od tubing up to the collector and from the dyno charts I’ve seen, going from ok headers to great headers gets you a 15-20hp increase on a built 3.2. I guess it will be hard to know without doing a back to back comparison on the same engine, same dyno, same day, etc.

Eric may be pulling my leg but if you look at the cutoff of the area where the 3 pipes converge on to one it is 1.5 x 3 or 4 inches. That should allow a lot more gas to get out and not a bottleneck?

Bob B

1.5In at head Marty@MSDS may give us his take on this. Yes the dyno will be the real test by E says it feels so much faster and he was going by what Kellys car did with same mod.

Bob B
And happy new year to you buddy
johnhora
Bob B...thanks for the link and info
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 10 2021, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 10 2021, 01:00 PM) *

Eric may be pulling my leg but if you look at the cutoff of the area where the 3 pipes converge on to one it is 1.5 x 3 or 4 inches. That should allow a lot more gas to get out and not a bottleneck?

Bob B

1.5In at head Marty@MSDS may give us his take on this. Yes the dyno will be the real test by E says it feels so much faster and he was going by what Kellys car did with same mod.

Bob B
And happy new year to you buddy

Bob - I’m sure your car will look fast just standing still. It’s an epic build on a great base. beerchug.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 10 2021, 11:54 AM) *

Yeah, the B&B are a waste of money. Every set I have seen look poorly made. For the life of me I can't figure out why PMS uses them on their large motor builds. For me, Ben's @mb911 heat exchangers and mufflers are the ticket.

PMS does a lot of 3.6 conversions and uses B&B 1 3/4" heat exchangers.
https://www.bbexhaust.com/shop/porsche-914-...gers-fpor-0510/

The biggest Ben currently makes is 1 5/8". PMS does install 1 5/8" B&B on 3.2 conversions. I think Coondog went from B&B 1 5/8' to Ben's 1 5/8" heat exchangers.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 10 2021, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 10 2021, 11:54 AM) *

PMS does a lot of 3.6 conversions and uses B&B 1 3/4" heat exchangers.
https://www.bbexhaust.com/shop/porsche-914-...gers-fpor-0510/

The biggest Ben currently makes is 1 5/8". PMS does install 1 5/8" B&B on 3.2 conversions. I think Coondog went from B&B 1 5/8' to Ben's 1 5/8" heat exchangers.

I went to Patrick and talked to Jim. I think there is something semi off there. I mentioned my setup and Jim said that he has a warehouse full of b&b .. I think that is the reason you see them every where.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2021, 06:07 PM) *

@mb911

Click to view attachment

Like this

So actually cheaper but they are able to scavenge exhaust gasses and produce more power. Its what is often called the Burns style collector

They have a standard muffler flange ?.... 2 in 2 out Leistritz sport ?
mb911
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 10 2021, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2021, 06:07 PM) *

@mb911

Click to view attachment

Like this

They have a standard muffler flange ?.... 2 in 2 out Leistritz sport ?

Yes they will.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.